Silent Running - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Running Reviews

½ October 11, 2016
I read somewhere that Kubrick and Clarke altered the plot of 2001 and decided to show Jupiter in their film as they feared CGI at the time might not depict rings of Saturn realistically. Silent Running is the film when they tried out Saturn's rings on the big screen with CGI. Well, the rings were alright, the film wasn't.
September 25, 2016
This is for sci-fi fans who prefer substance over special effects, and the premise is even more relevant now than it was in '72, when the film was released. Quiet, thought-provoking and heartbreaking.
½ September 22, 2016
Saw this on 19/9/16
Though it is not made in the most effective manner, it is an unusually themed sci-fi film with an ambiguos mind set than net lets itself be caught until the end. Bruce Dern's performance has emotional depth albeit being overthetop. The music and cinematography are advantages of this film.
July 28, 2016
Silent Running (1972) C-89m. ??? D: Douglas Trumbull. Bruce Dern, Cliff Potts, Ron Rifkin, Jesse Vint. Interesting (if somewhat glum) science-fiction film set in the future about astronaut Dern who is given strict orders to destroy the last of Earth's plant life-but refuses. Inventive and satisfying; the three small helpful droids on-board spaceship are named Huey, Dewey, and Louie.
June 25, 2016
A shit movie where the audience is supposed to sympathize with an ass-hole who kills his only three friends and then himself.
June 21, 2016
While this ecological sci-fi film from the post-2001/pre-Star Wars days may show its age now, it is still a wonderfully unforgettable film. Bruce Dern carries the movie well, and Trumbull's stunning sci-fi effects wizardry is on par with his most famous works. Don't miss it as a fan of science fiction cinema.
½ May 18, 2016
I think this is the closest we will ever get to hippie science fiction, and it is very, very tedious.
January 22, 2016
A Terra chegou ao cúmulo da guerra e poluição que todas as plantas foram dizimadas. Antes que isso acontecesse, uma nave foi enviada ao espaço com todas as espécies de plantas conhecidas. Apesar de algumas cenas forçadas e efeitos especiais fracos, é bonito de ver. A mensagem ecológica ainda é válida. Os robozinhos são muito fofos e ao mesmo tempo realistas, usando braços mecânicos de verdade, não essa enganação de computação gráfica. Interessante como o personagem coloca significado nas ações dos robôs pra preencher o vazio de sua vida.
October 14, 2015
One of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time.
½ September 30, 2015
Love this movie, a classic. Yes, it is not Steven Spielberg, but for its time it was futuristic. I still love the message.
½ August 12, 2015
Ma Earth can no longer grow food after we pollute the bejesus out of her and so we build a greenhouse in space to preserve the idea of growing food. "Ahhh, its only a knucklehead idea anyway. What were we thinking? We got synthetic food, don't we? Close it up!" Bruce Dern is the idealist who fights the powers-that-be in this not-too-far-from-hippie sci-fi horror story. The action's okay is all. There's terrible bits of Joan Baez singing that'll make you put the work end of a shotgun in your mouth. Eh.
July 17, 2015
Fantastic sci-fi idea and execution, with great acting from lead Bruce Dern.
April 18, 2015
I don't know how this was received at the time, but it's now no more than a historical curio. The model spaceship shots are cool, but the rest is tedious allegory and sentimental tomfoolery, with an egregious soundtrack.
February 20, 2015
Utter drivel, Kermode has a lot to answer for singing the praises of this tosh. Annoying space hippy gets all upset because his trees get nuked...give me strength.
February 12, 2015
When special effects started to look believable instead of cheesy. Good plot
½ February 7, 2015
not too preachy considering it's obviously spawn of the hippy flower power era. a very intense, slighty unhinged portrayal from bruce dern
½ January 29, 2015
Thoughtful and detailed world-building is the main thing on display here, while Bruce Dern gives a great performance as man on the brink. Full review later.
January 21, 2015
Entrañable cinta de ciencia ficción, una estación espacial cuida el último vestigio ecológico en el universo.
January 8, 2015
An offbeat ecological space movie staring the great Bruce Dern on fine form playing a somewhat deranged character which is truly something you don't see that often in family friendly movies such as this; although his actions are at least understandable given the circumstances. This, despite it being not being a widely known about film, does have a quality feel to it. The model spaceship effects featured hasn't dated about half as mush as computer based effects less than half as old. While robots Huey, Dewey, and Louie are very cute, despite the fact that it would take them about two years to get from one end of the ship to the other with those little legs. If you can put up with the 70's folk music soundtrack, a slowish place, and a very unsubtle message, then this is something worth tracking down, and it's a refreshing change to something such as Star wars.
January 1, 2015
Despite being a little dated and hokey at times, SILENT RUNNING was an enjoyable sci-fi film with some incredible visual effects. From the effects maestro behind 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY comes a story about future Earth where all of the surviving plants are being cared for in modules far out in space. However, the order comes back that the crew needs to destroy all of the remaining flora and the caretaker, Lowell (Bruce Dern), decides to take matters into his own hands. Aside from the visual effects, which is the biggest thing this film has going for it, I will give credit to Bruce Dern for being a likeable and somewhat charismatic lead, although I don't think he was quite up to task of carrying most of the film by himself. He had a certain humanity and earthiness that played well against the wordless drones that he interacts with. The other human cast members also did a good job, but they weren't really in it long enough for them to register too much as characters. As I said before, the visual effects were excellent. There were quite a few exterior space shots of the ships that I thought gave Star Wars a run for its money. There was also some decent production design on the ship interior. However, I do think that the film is a little dated. The songs were a little hokey and I didn't care for them too much. Also, the pro-environment message was laid on a little too broadly and came off as a little silly at times. Still, it is nice to see how far we've come considering that this came out towards the beginning of that movement. Overall, I wasn't particularly bored by this film, but it wasn't exactly riveting either. Bruce Dern is a capable lead, but the real star of the film is the effects. Recommended if you're a fan of old-school sci-fi.