Silent Running - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Running Reviews

½ March 25, 2018
Fun and pretty cute. Huey, Dewy and Louie steal the show! Funny hippy soundtrack
February 16, 2018
fantastic eco-sci-fi
½ February 3, 2018
Not sure why this is so highly acclaimed but the sci-fi community. There are much better sci-fi movies from that time.
September 22, 2017
*Spoiler Warning*

I couldn't get into this movie that much. I think most of this has to do with the handling of Lowell as his character wasn't that interesting. After killing his crewmates, he didn't undergo any haunting character arcs, he didn't life in fear of being discovered all throughout the film, he didn't grow to fear the drones he was with, he didn't do, well, pretty much anything that I found compelling. He just sort of found ways to pass the time and, occasionally, dealt with a problem. The few scenes where the movie would show flashbacks of his crew hinted at him feeling remorse or the starting stages of guilt, but the movie didn't go anywhere with that. Things just seemed to happen around him. Contrariwise, however, I enjoyed the setting (some people said the setting looks dated nowadays, but I already responded to that argument in my review of "The Time Machine", so I won't dwell on that again), the music, and Bruce Dern's acting. Also, its ending connected with me. I didn't enjoy it that much though.
August 24, 2017
Unlike most post-apocalyptic science fiction films this has a deep and relevant message while also being character driven without having to solely rely on flashy special effects or action scenes. It is also well paced and Bruce Dern is excellent along with his drone companions who make for an entertaining and thought provoking watch, the score is great (with two songs written for the film sung by Joan Baez), the special effects and production are more than convincing, I like most of the plot and the script is functional if albeit a little shallow despite the deep themes it puts forward. Quite frankly my only issue is the ending which isn't all that satisfying and somewhat flies in the face of what came before but overall a solid effort and one of the better sci-fi films I have seen from that era.
½ August 4, 2017
Legendary acting from a legendary actor.
½ May 29, 2017
Silent Running is a solid science fiction film with very good special effects, a respectable message, a fine performance from Bruce Dern and a couple of moving scenes, but the film is overly contemporary filled with at times quite preachy and silly dialogue and the pacing is rather sluggish resulting in a solid film which should have been much smarter and much better overall.
April 23, 2017
Silent Running is a pretty cheesy old movie but I loved its retro style. I especially liked the robots. The plot is fairly ridiculous but that's what I like about it.
April 1, 2017
I'm giving this a four star on the premise that this was the most significant sci-fi movie between 2001 and Star Wars. And unlike most science fiction movies this movie not only inspired Star Wars (rather than the other way around) but the ships were reused again six years later in Battlestar Galactica and the reboot of BSG, Also had an environmental message way ahead of it's time. That is the rating. A lot time classic of science fiction doing what science fiction does best, warn us of a possible future.

And now for Silent Running fans, some thoughts....

(Possible spoilers ahead).

1) I am sooooo glad they did not go with the original script and have them deliver the dome with plants to aliens.

2) So they saw the Valley Forge (and could see with detail) six hours when they found the runaway ship. Sooo... what's to keep them from finding a dome, drifting in space, not too far from where Valley Forge used to be? If destroying the domes was the mandate they might have come across the last dome, and blew that up as well. Ok, a pessamistic how it should have ended.

2) a more positive "how it should have ended" they decide to scrap the whole idea of preserving the domes with plants in space (why so far out as Saturn? Traffic really that busy between Mercury and Jupiter in the next century?) Unless overcrowding is a problem, those domes had to be worth million of dollars a piece. So they bring them back, auction off the domes, and someone buys the domes for scrap, OR, someone buys the domes, makes a neat house/museum complete with rare plants and animals.

Anyway, if they put these domes on the moon, or Mars, or some other moon, (a fully enclosed habitat/ecosystem) well, we wouldn't had the extreme, plot creating system to drive our space-Druid/hippie nuts and steal a ship to save the plants.

Just saying realistically there were other obvious solutions to the problem if we were in that situation aside from just blowing up/nuking millions and millions of dollars worth of hardware.

Other than that, love the whole realistic feel of the movie, and of course, the droids. Everyone loves the droids.
½ February 12, 2017
A thought-provoking science fiction that may feel dated today even with its good visuals but raises interesting philosophical questions about solitude, the value of life and what it is like to risk everything for a conviction - which outweighs the ecological message intended.
½ October 11, 2016
I read somewhere that Kubrick and Clarke altered the plot of 2001 and decided to show Jupiter in their film as they feared CGI at the time might not depict rings of Saturn realistically. Silent Running is the film when they tried out Saturn's rings on the big screen with CGI. Well, the rings were alright, the film wasn't.
September 25, 2016
This is for sci-fi fans who prefer substance over special effects, and the premise is even more relevant now than it was in '72, when the film was released. Quiet, thought-provoking and heartbreaking.
½ September 22, 2016
77%
Saw this on 19/9/16
Though it is not made in the most effective manner, it is an unusually themed sci-fi film with an ambiguos mind set than net lets itself be caught until the end. Bruce Dern's performance has emotional depth albeit being overthetop. The music and cinematography are advantages of this film.
July 28, 2016
Silent Running (1972) C-89m. ??? D: Douglas Trumbull. Bruce Dern, Cliff Potts, Ron Rifkin, Jesse Vint. Interesting (if somewhat glum) science-fiction film set in the future about astronaut Dern who is given strict orders to destroy the last of Earth's plant life-but refuses. Inventive and satisfying; the three small helpful droids on-board spaceship are named Huey, Dewey, and Louie.
June 25, 2016
SPOILERS
A shit movie where the audience is supposed to sympathize with an ass-hole who kills his only three friends and then himself.
June 21, 2016
While this ecological sci-fi film from the post-2001/pre-Star Wars days may show its age now, it is still a wonderfully unforgettable film. Bruce Dern carries the movie well, and Trumbull's stunning sci-fi effects wizardry is on par with his most famous works. Don't miss it as a fan of science fiction cinema.
½ May 18, 2016
I think this is the closest we will ever get to hippie science fiction, and it is very, very tedious.
January 22, 2016
A Terra chegou ao cúmulo da guerra e poluição que todas as plantas foram dizimadas. Antes que isso acontecesse, uma nave foi enviada ao espaço com todas as espécies de plantas conhecidas. Apesar de algumas cenas forçadas e efeitos especiais fracos, é bonito de ver. A mensagem ecológica ainda é válida. Os robozinhos são muito fofos e ao mesmo tempo realistas, usando braços mecânicos de verdade, não essa enganação de computação gráfica. Interessante como o personagem coloca significado nas ações dos robôs pra preencher o vazio de sua vida.
October 14, 2015
One of the greatest Science Fiction films of all time.
½ September 30, 2015
Love this movie, a classic. Yes, it is not Steven Spielberg, but for its time it was futuristic. I still love the message.