Silkwood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silkwood Reviews

½ March 4, 2019
Cher is very good here
December 26, 2018
Karen Silkwood was an ordinary girl - had a working-class background, with a couple of children and a failed marriage behind her, without prospects for significant advancement in life. But, in history she will be remembered as a hero.

Karen Silkwood worked at the plutonium factory where she advocated the fight for workers' rights. Within the trade union, she dealt with occupational safety issues and discovered numerous irregularities in the production of plutonium rods, including poor workmanship and exposure of workers to radiation. The company tried to cover it up, but Karen collected a large amount of evidence and documents that backed her claims. To the surprise of the factory management, but also some of her colleagues who disapproved her activism and stirring-up the factory status quo, Karen turned out to be a worthy opponent - one that was ready to go on the line against a large corporation. In return, she was pressured daily, intentionally poisoned with radiation and eventually killed.

Karen Silkwood's death, in November 1974, received a lot of attention from the American public. Several books were written about her case, songs were dedicated to her and the movie ''Silkwood'' was made. The choices she makes are those choices we would like to believe we'd make if we were in her shoes. This is why for us Karen Silkwood is a hero. The movie is based on actual events.
½ September 21, 2018
May not exactly be as riveting by the rebellious nature against the system considering how it accurately kept under wraps with subtle activism, but the emotional tone does the usual justice when building up to a tragic climax with unknown though easy-to-figure-out circumstances that made the story more stand out, and Streep's performances bolstered that. (B)

(Full review TBD)
June 28, 2018
Cher is a lesbian (in love with Meryl Streep no less) in this high power story of Karen Silkwood. A classic by all standards...
October 19, 2017
Mike Nichols' dramatisation of the titular nuclear whistleblower breasting the goliath of nuclear industry compromising safety of workers for profits is a compelling exposť irradiating a quiet strength and simple compassion of the destitute working class.
September 3, 2017
Meryl Streep delivers one of her greatest screen performances to date in this deeply flawed but very grounded biopic about Karen Silwood, a plant worker in the heart of Oklahoma who believes that radiation poisoning is occurring rampantly there. It is easy to dismiss the performances of Craig T. Nelson and Ron Silver, as one dimensional villain and hero but at the film's heart are three performances that show how flawed and average humans can be (Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell, Cher) and still provide us with a reason to root for them.
½ July 16, 2017
If i have enough from my shitty work, i watch this movie and i know, i'm not alone with this issue.
July 2, 2017
Cher won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Supporting Role!
Meryl Streep won a KCFCC Award for Best Actress!
The movie was nominated for 5 Oscars, had another 2 wins & 13 nominations.
April 13, 2017
Could have utilised better clarification for what's really going on within the subplots, not to mention a somewhat lazy ending.
February 27, 2017
Some fine performances, but let down by a dour pace and a saggy script.
½ May 2, 2015
Tedious and dull. Craig T Nelson? Just kill me now. Kurt Russel before he had muscles. Cher is invisible in her role. Steep plays Karen Silkwood, a woman with round heels.
April 13, 2015
"Silkwood" may not be particularly suspenseful, but its portrayal of extraordinary bravery from an ordinary woman does leave an impression. Tons of young, budding stars fill out the cast although their full range of skills has yet to develop. That having been said, it's the best bit of acting I can recall seeing from Kurt Russell. Cher's complete lack of glamour or pretense struck me as unusually authentic. It's worth seeing if for no other reason than reminding yourself how little things seem to change over the years.
April 11, 2015
A real life character study of do wrongers trying to do right.....top notch acting in this tense thriller.
February 27, 2015
First film saw of Meryl Streep & though it was fantastic & it also has a fantastic cast wid Kurt Russell,Cher & Craig T Nelson also it made me cry with the song at the end
½ January 20, 2015
Muy buena pelicula y papelazos de Meryl Streep, Kurt Russell y tambien de Cher.
½ November 6, 2014
The last sentence of the summary shows how little the average person and Hollywood in general knows about nuclear electric power. A person doesn't get contaminated by radiation. If you get contaminated , its by contamination. If you get irradiated, its by radiation. Modern nuclear power plants have processes and equipment that aims to prevent people from getting contaminated, but if it does happen, the dire consequences of it happening are.......? You take a shower. Yup, that's it.
½ September 17, 2014
Solid enough, but never quite steps it up to a truly engaging level. The script never delves deeply enough for me to either understand or care more about Karen, or any of the other characters for that matter. I think it's intentions are also muddled.
August 11, 2014
An excellent early Meryl Streep film.. Heart felt and touching
June 30, 2014
MGNIFICO TEMA GRAN ACTUACION DE MERYL STREEP
½ May 26, 2014
Meryl and Cher are amazing as always in this movie and Mike Nichols is always a wonderful director. It had a nice story but I wasn't all that into it.