Sleeper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleeper Reviews

½ July 10, 2016
It's not as moving as his masterpieces "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan," but "Sleeper" is definitely one of Woody Allen's funniest movies.
April 23, 2016
Sleeper unfortunately loses its steam near the end with a disappointing third act, but everything else that came before it is great as the screenplay is fantastic, the humor is superb with many great lines and the mix of science fiction parody and an homage to the silent comedies is such an authentic one and the movie succeeds in both of those areas. It is a flawed, but an incredibly entertaining, energetic, offbeat and funny flick.
February 6, 2016
Really funny lots of great comic situations Keaton and Allen play off each other perfectly just some great silly fun
January 22, 2016
Lovable, what is there to say.
½ January 20, 2016
One of my favorites.
January 9, 2016
Loved it, as i recall. saw it way back then in theater.
July 27, 2015
Woody Allen and all his neuroses fit perfectly within the dystopic landscape he's crafted in "Sleeper," a chuckle-filled farce with visual and verbal gags galore.
July 7, 2015
The peak of Woody's early funny ones.
June 20, 2015
How the hell does this movie have a 100%?
½ April 26, 2015
funny early woody allen loaded with nods to his comic inspiration, Buster Keaton.
April 15, 2015
"Sex and death. Two things that come once in my lifetime."

My third venture into Allen's film library, 1973s 'Sleeper'. Having seen three movies now it's clear (up to the 90s at least) that he doesn't venture from his comedy style - at all. It's similarly abstract to 'Bananas' in jokes and plotting. Hilariously so, with a more slapstick type approach this time among the witty lines.

'Sleeper' is set 200 years after 1973 where all women are frigid and men are impudent. 'Allen' plays 'Miles Monroe' a man who's thawed out of cryogenic sleep by some doctors in order to help a group of revolutionaries overthrow a dull, dictatorship leader. Of course he goes on the run and ends up running into 'Luna' (Diane Keaton) and together they impose a plan to take the leader down. It does show off Allen's entire comedic sense with ridiculous visuals - in the form a giant bananas and being beaten with a large strawberry. As well as the ludicrous conversations.

There's less of the rapid fire nature here than in 'Bananas' with more of the physical stuff taking over. An orb that gives out some sort of drug and the use of orgasm machine. Not to mention a hilarious chase with the police and 'Miles'. Almost all the jokes hit, visual and verbal - however towards the end it ran out of steam a little bit for me.

Even with that and less jokes this is probably the best of the bunch do far. With big ideas, from a world view point and the striking absurd visual comedy. I'll never forget the fight with the various fruits or the pump action rocket launcher. It all puts a smile on my face.
April 9, 2015
My mum introduced me to Woody Allen movies when me and my sister were quite young, and we both loved movies especiallt this one and "Love and Death." Now that we are older and we understand the jokes better, this movie is seriously what my peers would describe as AWESOME.
½ March 15, 2015
One of the funniest movies ever (the others being Woody Allen's Love and Death, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Monty Python's Life of Brian)! Sorry, forgot about A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum!
½ December 31, 2014
Starts off promising but unfortunately the hilarity isn't sustained throughout the film's entirety.
½ December 29, 2014
Really goofy, especially from Woody Allen standards. He's really going for classic Chaplin/Keaton here. You can't beat those snappy one-liners. This is one of the first films he worked on with Diane Keaton. Their chemistry is undeniably wonderful.
½ December 26, 2014
A comedy that gets funnier with every viewing.
December 25, 2014
While it did help Woody develop his style, it was not really that enjoyable