Sleeper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleeper Reviews

April 1, 2017
This movie is so stupid.
½ March 23, 2017
I can see how this may have been a rip-roaring good time in 1973 but it sadly doesn't hold up well at all. I chuckled here and there but it's really hard getting past the painfully dated nature of this cheaply made piece of sci-fi comedy.
½ February 27, 2017
#WOODYALLENRETRO PODCAST PROJECT (available on iTunes)

Anoter above average comedy from Woodys earlier days with a particular attention to visual and set design, plenty of physical humour and a very well executed and amusing performance by Diane Keaton, although can run a lil too long and kind of tapers on the end, overall an enjoyable romp
January 27, 2017
Just saw again for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten how funny woody Allen was. Great movie!
December 16, 2016
This is my favorite Woody Allen movie ever. I just could not stop laughing.
November 30, 2016
Classic - One of Woody's best! On Blu-ray.
½ July 10, 2016
It's not as moving as his masterpieces "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan," but "Sleeper" is definitely one of Woody Allen's funniest movies.
April 23, 2016
Sleeper unfortunately loses its steam near the end with a disappointing third act, but everything else that came before it is great as the screenplay is fantastic, the humor is superb with many great lines and the mix of science fiction parody and an homage to the silent comedies is such an authentic one and the movie succeeds in both of those areas. It is a flawed, but an incredibly entertaining, energetic, offbeat and funny flick.
February 6, 2016
Really funny lots of great comic situations Keaton and Allen play off each other perfectly just some great silly fun
January 22, 2016
Lovable, what is there to say.
½ January 20, 2016
One of my favorites.
January 9, 2016
Loved it, as i recall. saw it way back then in theater.
July 27, 2015
Woody Allen and all his neuroses fit perfectly within the dystopic landscape he's crafted in "Sleeper," a chuckle-filled farce with visual and verbal gags galore.
July 7, 2015
The peak of Woody's early funny ones.
June 20, 2015
How the hell does this movie have a 100%?
½ April 26, 2015
funny early woody allen loaded with nods to his comic inspiration, Buster Keaton.
April 15, 2015
"Sex and death. Two things that come once in my lifetime."

My third venture into Allen's film library, 1973s 'Sleeper'. Having seen three movies now it's clear (up to the 90s at least) that he doesn't venture from his comedy style - at all. It's similarly abstract to 'Bananas' in jokes and plotting. Hilariously so, with a more slapstick type approach this time among the witty lines.

'Sleeper' is set 200 years after 1973 where all women are frigid and men are impudent. 'Allen' plays 'Miles Monroe' a man who's thawed out of cryogenic sleep by some doctors in order to help a group of revolutionaries overthrow a dull, dictatorship leader. Of course he goes on the run and ends up running into 'Luna' (Diane Keaton) and together they impose a plan to take the leader down. It does show off Allen's entire comedic sense with ridiculous visuals - in the form a giant bananas and being beaten with a large strawberry. As well as the ludicrous conversations.

There's less of the rapid fire nature here than in 'Bananas' with more of the physical stuff taking over. An orb that gives out some sort of drug and the use of orgasm machine. Not to mention a hilarious chase with the police and 'Miles'. Almost all the jokes hit, visual and verbal - however towards the end it ran out of steam a little bit for me.

Even with that and less jokes this is probably the best of the bunch do far. With big ideas, from a world view point and the striking absurd visual comedy. I'll never forget the fight with the various fruits or the pump action rocket launcher. It all puts a smile on my face.