Smashing Time Reviews

• Sep 01, 2017

This is one of the strangest and least categorisable sixties comedies I've ever seen. It's about two Northern girls discovering London (Lynn Redgrave and Rita Tushingham riffing on the roles that made them famous) and is stuffed with cameos by recognisable character actors of the time, like Irene Handl, John Clive, Peter Jones and Anna Quayle. Parts of it are excruciatingly dreadful, but other sequences are genuinely funny. And the incidental shots of sixties London are strangely poignant. Worth persevering with.

• Mar 14, 2013

It's aged well and now can be seen in a more Cult classic role.

It's aged well and now can be seen in a more Cult classic role.

• Aug 12, 2010

"It's fashionable to be gay." Awesome terribly camp/kitsch piece of cinema.

"It's fashionable to be gay." Awesome terribly camp/kitsch piece of cinema.

• Oct 17, 2008

Turns out to be kind of exhausting, unfortunately, but you have to respect them for really going all-in on the juvenile slapstick and escalating weirdness. This is a movie that not only features a pie fight, but also a spray paint/manure/brown sauce/soap fight, not to mention Rita Tushingham dressed as a cat while lacing some liquor with laxatives. And the songs are a hoot, especially since they're mostly in voiceover and frequently both tone-deaf and screamed at high volume.

• Mar 17, 2008

Ian's says it's like me and Tina. Still a bit TOO MUCH!!! ha!

Ian's says it's like me and Tina. Still a bit TOO MUCH!!! ha!

• Mar 17, 2008

Ok, this is very silly and wacky yet I found myself really liking it! This is a great satire on Swinging 60s London. Lynn Redgrave and Rita Tushingham play two girls from the North of England determined to make it big in swinging London. What follows is a series of crazy situations as the unlikely pair do find fame only to realize it's not really worth it. This film is so kitsch, with songs to match ("I can't sing but I'm young!"). If you love 60s style then your bound to like this, but this is not one to be taken seriously and overall is just a fun piece of nostalgia.

• Emily B Super Reviewer
    Mar 17, 2008

Eric B Super Reviewer
    Mar 17, 2008

"Smashing Time" is a mediocre movie, but it's lots of fun. Not exactly subtle, this British comedy is full of broad, farcical performances and actually has two -- two! -- major food-fight scenes. Is that a first? Yvonne (Lynn Redgrave) and Brenda (Rita Tushingham) have a ball as two daft birds visiting the big city, determined to become all the rage with the swinging Carnaby Street crowd. Yvonne is loud and ditzy, while Brenda is mousy and vulnerable. They flip through a few menial jobs, making a spectacular mess of whatever situation they enter, while also tangling with a cheeky tabloid photographer (the young Michael York). Eventually they stumble into show business via unlikely paths, which motivates one hilarious recording-session scene where every gimmick of the day (sitar, harp, girlie backup vocals) is awkwardly thrown into the mix. The other standout set pieces are a trendy art-gallery opening (booby-trapped robots are sold to people who want to feel nuclear paranoia at home) and a misfired bedroom seduction where a sleazy bounder (Ian Carmichael) puts the moves on Yvonne (too bad that a laxative joke doesn't pay off like it should). Slapstick humor is everywhere (the laundry bills must have been incredible), and the actors exaggerate every gesture, expression and regional accent. The psychedelic band Tomorrow (featuring a pre-Yes Steve Howe) has a small, non-musical role, and the score also includes several sweet songs that Redgrave and Tushingham warble themselves. This is definitely a period piece, but don't expect too much and you'll enjoy some silly laughs.