Snowbeast Reviews

• Nov 12, 2018

Badly made 1970s made-for-TV movie about ski resort folks having to contend with a series of killings, which may or may not be committed by a rampaging abominable snowman. Bo Svenson plays a former Olympics gold medal ski champion, who with his reporter wife, Yvette Mimieux, and local sheriff Clint Walker slowly come to the realization they have a legendary monster on their hands (and it's not Sylvia Sidney, who appears in a supporting role). The TV movie was written by Joseph Stefano, who's most famous for having written Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho," but outside of that never penned another memorable film. Characters here are underdeveloped, the plot is routine at best, and the monster is barely shown, generating little suspense or scares. Not much to recommend here unless you're a fan of Walker or Sidney.

• Dec 22, 2017

I gotta day, I was completely drawn in by the campiness and 70s music and editing. Sure it's a terrible movie, but I highly recommend watching at least the first 15 minutes.

• Aug 17, 2014

An abominable snowman is pissed so many skiers are on his mountain. A popular ski resort is hosing a series of games, so the yeti decides to eat some of the participants. While some warn of a killer sasquatch, the owner of the resort and Sheriff are reluctant to make everyone leave. Once it becomes apparent the bigfoot isnt going anywhere, some skiers band together to kill themselves a wild beast. A made-for-TV film obviously made as art of the "killer animals" craze of the llate 1970s spawned by Jaws.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Jun 25, 2014

A bigfoot-like creature lightly terrorizes the ski slopes in this non-thriller originally made for TV. If you like watching people ski around looking for a monster that almost never appears, this is a great movie!

• Oct 10, 2013

Scripted by Hitchcock's Psycho writer, My brother and I were terrified - we were alone, watching this on late night tv, at my Grandparents old country house, in the dead of winter. Perfect for two impressionable, thrill-seeking young boys in the late 70s. I will always remember - about the middle of the movie, during a commercial break, in that silent dark old house, my brother said "I am scared s---." Hilarious now, but we were both scared to death then. Oh, to be young and innocent again.. I've watched it since, on youtube in ten minute bites, and it was not the same feeling. I didnt bother to even tell my brother about it so as not to ruin any great memory he had about it. The thrills we survived as youths have paled since, but for a tv movie, there are seeds of good things here. The good: They didnt show the monster until the end of the movie which built crazy suspense. The surprise attacks actually surprised, solid suspense moments. You see many things from the monsters point of view which makes you feel sorry for the victims. And, Creative on a low budget. The bad: Jaws ripoff story, some trite, corny lines. But it is a good bit of fun. The memories I have of this movie that are etched in my mind would make a truly great horror suspense film, but you will not find that here. As always, the monsters we imagine are worse than those we actually see. I'm curious if someone else saw this and felt scared - email me, porterboy1@hotmail.com I'm giving this 3.5 out of 5 - to give it credit for the great ideas, and for the boosted production values. Especially for a tv movie.

• Nov 12, 2012

It took the seasons going by for me to realize that this is simply Jaws in Bigfoot form. People often complained that the shark looked fake, well at least they actually showed the monster!

• Oct 27, 2012

A Yeti in the woods threatens a ski town's winter carnival. Town officials express concern that it could hurt tourism but the winter carnival continues despite four deaths at the hands of the Yeti. Features great Yeti sound effects.

• Oct 03, 2012

Mill Creek's 50 Movie Pack: Chilling Classics Reviews SNOWBEAST (TV MOVIE) [1977]: A made for US T.V movie that was made to cash in upon with America's renewed obsession with the legend of Bigfoot in the 1970's. SNOWBEAST is a run of the mill Yeti/Abominable Snowman/ Bigfoot film of the 1970's that is not accidently influenced by Steven Spielberg's JAWS [1975]. Due to its Made- For-TV realise all the kills that take place are done by the screen turning red (which made it easy to slip in advertisements for the Broadcasters). Plot: Sees a small Colorado Town during its winter festival being terrorised by an unknown killer. The culprit turns out to be Bigfoot, a not so happy mythical ape creature. So it's up to a small band of people to go out and to kill it. Thoughts: With a narrative & POV shots that are a direct rip-off form JAWS it's lucky that the subject material was about Bigfoot, one might mistake the film for not having a great white shark. Now how could I not like this tacky TV movie? My rating for SNOWBEAST is a solid 50%.

• Mar 31, 2012

Another in a long line of Jaws echoes, this is probably more apparent in its borrowing than the others. Snowbeast is a made for TV movie about a ski lodge whose guests are under attack by a killer Yeti (or Bigfoot as they call it). Like the American International pictures like it, it isn't very good. However, there are a couple of positives to it. It's filmed very well with lots of very beautiful environment shots and the cast is pretty good. Other than that, it's just your standard 70's cornball killer animal fest with questionable plot motivations and nothing all that much fun to it. Worth a watch I guess but probably not repeats.

• Mar 24, 2012

saw this when I was a kid and unfortunately could only see the American version now and there real scary scenes were chopped! Long live Bo Svenson!