Soldier in the Rain Reviews

• Mar 27, 2016

Terrible in every possible way. A slow-motion crash that is difficult and painful to watch.

• Mar 14, 2015

I like this movie. I've seen it multiple times. Funny at times and a very emotional ending.

• Mar 09, 2015

interesting off-beat comedy

interesting off-beat comedy

• Feb 05, 2015

A nice little duo (Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason) they are, and they never fail to entertain. The film is short and sweet, just the way I like it. The ending wasn't what I was expecting, and didn't love it..But, besides the ending, its flawless.

• Feb 11, 2014

Jackie Gleason was never appreciated as much as he deserved as an actor. Steve McQueen was of course a top performer and was well acknowledged as such. This is a terrific movie that shouldn't be missed Until that time Eustis...Until that time

• Aug 23, 2013

Soldier in the Rain (1963) This is a nice little army comedy with Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen. It also stars many other great TV actors of the time. Master Sergeant Maxwell Slaughter (Gleason) is basically running the base from his air-conditioned office with the help of Supply Sergeant Eustis Clay (McQueen). Maxwell is the cool, smart one (cooler than Steve McQueen!) and the mentor of the pair and tends to calm Eustis's many crazy, hair-brained schemes to make money when they get out of the Army. Maxwell is dreaming of a far away island that he visited during the war, other than that, he's fine with being a lifer. Bobby Jo Pepperdine (Tuesday Weld) is the perfect sex kitten for Maxwell, and lovely Frances McCoy (Chris Noel) is hot, paired with Eustis. The base MPs are on Eustis every chance they get.

• Dec 23, 2012

Stupid and hilarious at the same time with some surprisingly dramatic moments. Through its two main co-stars gained timeless sentimental value.

• Dec 15, 2012

Novelty of seeing Gleason and McQueen teamed up loses steam quickly. McQueen was born to play the tough guy. Proving this rule is this film, where he does not play the quintessential alpha dog. He hams it up and it just makes you sad. The pathos in the film comes out of nowhere and just hammers the nail in the coffin. Worth a glance or two but you're better off watching a double feature of Bullitt and an episode of The Honeymooners.

• Nov 17, 2012

Steve McQeen and Jackie Gleason!!! "The King of Cool and The Great One" in the same movie!!! Can it be true!!! Yes!!! However , I liked the movie. It kinda make you feel sorry for Jackie Gleason's caricature. I don't think most people liked the film, but it's worth watching these two great actors work together.

• Jul 17, 2012

Jackie Gleason demonstrates his genius for both comedy and drama in this little known film made in the late 50"s. His portrayal of Maxwell Slaugher is unforgettable and Steve McQueen's rare comic turn as Eustus Clay is funny, optimistic, sensetive, and hints at the huge star he will became. He rarely did a comedic role, and he is evidence of the cliche that "dying is easy; comedy is hard. Tuesday Weld is luminous, pathetic, and strangely tragic. I highly recommend this obscure film directed by Norman Jewison.