Soul of the Game Reviews

• Apr 28, 2014

Pretty darn good! I think even better than '42' in a way! I think all three of the main actors were excellent! And the story is really strong and cohesive. Poor Josh Gibson...

• Apr 08, 2013

One of the best baseball movies I've ever seen...yet no one seems to really know about it, which actually fits with the subjects of the film. Most mainstream Jackie Robinson movies are about the effect his life and career had on the world (aka the white community), but this one zeros in on the black community, specifically the Negro League athletes who set a path racial integration and had to watch someone else get the glory. A strong story well-told, with a wonderful lack of sensationalism and tons of heart.

• Jul 05, 2012

Perfectly acted film that explores the potential candidates to break The Color Line in Major League Baseball. Of course, we know it will be Jackie Robinson (Blair Underwood) that Branch Rickey (Edward Herrmann) will handpick. The rivalry and friendship shared between Robinson, Satchel Paige (Delroy Lindo), and Josh Gibson (Mikelti Williamson) are what really moves this historical drama. Even a non-baseball fan should be entertained by this HBO production.

• May 25, 2012

• Feb 02, 2011

just ok. Somewhat interesting, but not terribly. Ballplaying quality is average to fair.

• Apr 03, 2010

• Feb 28, 2010

A decent movie about three of the greatest to play the game. This is NOT a movie about the Negro Leagues. This is a film about three giants of the game in a race to be the first to integrate Major League Baseball and force it to actually be what it falsely claimed to be for years: the NATIONAL pastime. As such, it's a little light on biographical information, but it's an entertaining film nonetheless. Worth the rental.

• Dec 05, 2009

A great movie about the Negro Leagues and agruabely a tandom of the greatest PITCHER (Satchel Paige) and HITTER of ALL TIME Josh Gibson.

• Mar 04, 2009

good depiction of the negro leagues and the jackie robinson trailblazing from the perspective of black folks.

• Jan 16, 2009

One of the best baseball movies I've ever seen. Maybe because it was a TV movie, it doesn't get proper distribution or respect. I would put this up against any other baseball movie out there.