Space Amoeba Reviews

• Apr 14, 2014

Just fun. You can tell this was made at the end of the big Toho Studios special effects boom. But it's still a lot of fun!

• Aug 27, 2012

Ishiro Honda's first Kaiju film directed after the passing of Eiji Tsuburaya, "Space Amoeba" is one full-out non-Godzilla kaiju film. The fights and the kaiju stomping is done quite well by the junior staff members, but the human story is very dumb. And not enough drama. Skip over them to get to the good stuff.

• Mar 11, 2012

Goofy and entertaining. The monsters are nice and plentiful and the story is decent. Dispite the posters and such, all 3 monsters never come near each other, but 2 do fight at the end once the alien looses control of them. It's fun and enjoying.

• Dec 11, 2010

A interesting idea with quite a lot of possibilities is unfortunately given short-thrift which pulls the carpet out from under the whole thing.

• Oct 28, 2010

Another of Toho's wild-& woolly, wacky-&-wondrous Monster-Mashes, replete with lotsa' Giant-Rubber-Monster action in the Godzilla tradition. Hysterical hi-jinks ensue when some of the wildlife (A cuttlefish, sea crab, and a turtle-) on a tropical Pacific island are morphed into Bodacious-Battling-Behemoths after having been taken over by a maleficent alien intelligence. Of course, some Nipponese Nood-niks become marooned there and must contend with the-not-so-friendly local fauna as well as come up with a way to get rid of those pesky aliens! I prefer the title I originally saw it under, "Yog, Monster from Space". Great & goofy fun!

• Sep 30, 2010

Meet Gezora, the ice-secreting cuttlefish kaiju; Ganime, the paparazzi-hating crab; and Kamoebas, the neck-extending turtle.

• Aug 12, 2010

For all my reviews visit my website idacashmansmoviereviews.webs.com Please note that the rating above might not accurately reflect my thoughts, you will see a rating sentence at the end of the review. For it's 40th Anniversary (yes I may be doing S.O.S. to make it Amoeba-Thon,) I've been wanting to do this review for a while. Now, if you read my Salt review (written the same day,) you will know I love cliche's and cheese. This...is not the reason why I like this film. First, it's exotic, it's rare when a Toho monster movie both takes place on an exotic island AND is original. At least past 1967. This lands the last non-Godzilla monster movie Ishiro Honda directed, and the last non-Godzilla monster movie before Godzilla himself got a talking from husband-of-future-senator-of-Connecticut Vincent Kennedy McMahon. (For all non-wrestling fans: YOOOUUUUUU'RRRREEE FIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRREEEEEDDDDDD.) Of course, that would be temporary, but we all know we missed him. And it wasn't so much that he was fired as much as he was unable to perform and was laid off. During the 1972 alone, all these lost projects came up: Godzilla vs. Hitodah, Godzilla vs. Hedorah 2 (the first Godzilla movie to have a number in it at the time,) Godzilla vs. Redmoon, The Return of King Ghidorah, and Godzilla vs. The Space Monsters: Earth Defense directive. Following such, during the late 70's, these films were lost: Godzilla vs. The Devil, Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (early script,) Godzilla vs. The Gargantuas, Godzilla vs. The Asuka Fortress, and King of the Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla which was going to be a remake of the original. And that's just one of the many decades where Godzilla was unable to perform. What was my rambling to point again? There was no point, I was being random and a \/\/hore trying to fill up space. Now, onto other cases, the movie. Yes, it is very exotic, in more ways than just the setting. But let's talk about the setting. The ancient and isolated jungle and beautiful seas create the mood for a strange acid flick featuring low-budget monsters. Yes, this film was low budget, even after Toho made legends such as Godzilla, Seven Samurai, Rodan, Mothra, The H-Man, and tons of other greats that you know about. You can tell that Gezora sometimes has his eyes glowing, in the script it was originally intended that his eyes would ALWAYS GLOW. But that's not the movies problem. The monsters are also awesome. Ganime is a rip-off of Ebirah, Kamoebas is a rip-off of Gamera, and Gezora is AWESOME!!! He is the most trippy slimy piece of I have ever seen! He looks incredible! Someone who works for the Academy would say he looks stupid NO. He is awesome in both cheese and just sheer originality. Sure, he's a squid, BUT HE'S A CRAZY @$$ SQUID. Like how Gamera is a Crazy @$$ Turtle. Of course, every Toho movie comes with it's own moral of the story awesomeness, and this one doesn't let down. (Wow, awesomeness actually agrees with the spell check.) It tells us to always remember your roots, and never let what has crawled into your body take over you. Remember that people, you were naked when you were born. The monster action is actually a little lacking, but probably because of the body structure of our three superstars. It's an odd acid classic, anybody thinking a stupid squid on the cover means it's awful is missing out on some amazing stuff. I desperately want to see another Toho monster movie, so I urge people to go see the new Godzilla movie coming out the year we die. (I think that's self explanatory.) I rate it...3.75/5

• Nov 24, 2009

Ok little kaiju film, that could have used better creature designs. Not as good, or well know as Godzilla and co.

• Mar 29, 2009

A bit confusing and meandering plot-wise but it keeps you interested, to say the least. The real treat here comes in the really inventive monsters and special effects. Gezora is a creepy frightening, Ganime is animated and imposing, and Kamoebas is fierce and strong. There are some woderful opening shots of a space shuttle that stand up even to today's standard and the film opens with a glorious sunset silhouette of a space ship. The island locale is lush and vibrant, and the explosions are large and glorious. It was neat to see a Kaiju film set on a tropical island (akin to G vs. ebirah) as it is a nice refresher from the industrial city. The performances are solid for the most part as the script did not seem to give the actors much room for character development. All in all a visual treat, but the story and characters could've used some work.