Spanglish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spanglish Reviews

July 1, 2016
Made it through about a half an hour of this and realized that was enough to turn it off. No thanks.
June 14, 2016
It really was a decent film... seeing Sandler in a serious role was a refreshing change of pace.
May 28, 2016
Spanglish is directed and written by James L. Brooks, and it stars Adam Sandler, Paz Vega, Ta Leoni, and Cloris Leachman in a dramedy about a poor single mother named Flor, (Paz Vega) and she went to America with her daughter to have a better life and get jobs there. She managed to get a job as a nanny for a family of 5 and start to form a bit of a bond with them. I was very much looking forward to it as it has James L. Brooks as the director and writer, and it has Adam Sandler in it without it having Happy Madison Productions involved with it. Spanglish managed to live up to my expectations and is a great film. Adam Sandler is great in playing the drama moments while also giving some funny stuff when it's needed to be funny. I haven't seen Paz Vega in much films, so this is one her first films that I've seen her in, and she's not that bad in this one. It has some clever writing by James L. Brooks, and I care about the characters that was developed. The plot can be a bit too sitcommy at times, but the way that it deals with problems that I don't usually see in a dramedy is actually well done, and I was still interested about where it was going. James L. Brooks's heart is in the right place with this film, and while Spanglish isn't in the full extent of it, it was willing to show at least most of it and was trying to be a great film, in which it succeed on it.
March 9, 2016
Very interesting. Loved it!
½ February 6, 2016
................,,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦â¦h
½ January 25, 2016
Too dramatic for my liking!
December 9, 2015
I really like this movie. Cloris is great. I'm not sure why it wasn't better received.
½ December 1, 2015
watchable but not overly pleasing-not too many laughs or steady story to put your true interest in high gear-unarousingly appealing.
November 29, 2015
Interesante drama.
Pero su version hispana le quita mucho el chiste.
November 29, 2015
Interesante drama.
Pero el hecho de que la doblasen al espaol latino, resulta ser una decision erronea e innecesaria.
Su virtud es verla en su versin original.
½ November 18, 2015
In one word : Meh , now don't get me wrong , Sandler's performance had nothing to do with it , it is just how the movie was made, how the mother of a young girl became her role model after ruining her chance to get an easier life in the name of remaining true to her culture.
The movie is a bit everywhere , you start off by familiarizing yourself with a certain characters then you forget about them because they are no longer relevant to the story and in the middle of the movie , they add characters, the only good one other than Sandler'ss was played by Leachman. Spanglish was no disaster but it wasn't a movie I would watch again.
½ October 17, 2015
The horrible acting of Paz Vega, who believes she is in some kind of latin soap opera, ruins the whole movie. It is disgusting to see a person who can't act in the central role of a movie. She left a bad image to latin actress who could make a better job with her role. By the way, she is not even mexican. Couldn't the producers find a mexican actress to perform a mexican inmigrant woman?
October 7, 2015
I have recently watched Spanglish. I thought the performances by Adam Sandler, was great while he let Paz Vega shine. The dynamic in the movie were excellent and understandable, easy to follow. The wife Leoni, you could have went with a different actress. No chemistry there at all! While the chemistry between Adam Sandler and Paz Vega could be seen and felt through the screen.
½ September 26, 2015
Charming, well written, well acted, a good movie all-around. Tea Leoni plays the woman nobody ever likes in these sorts of movies, but even then, she has a scene where you are compelled to at least feel for her character as she shares with her quirky mother her sins, then has a typical teenage meltdown which cements what we already knew. She's one of "those" women. Brilliant scene. Adam Sandler embraces his character, a chef that is on the cusp of fame, yet is a chef's chef, and just wants to serve good food in a good restaurant. Cloris Leachman is careful to not overdo her mother-in-law with a drinking problem character, and becomes one of the many characters in this movie you will love. Best part? "Whatever you do, don't throw the ball. Never throw the ball."
All this is a gentle overtone that helps you take your medicine. Beautiful, loving medicine that is the focal point of this movie. An immigrant mother, raising a daughter on her own, with the added pressure of that daughter being well-adjusted to American life and it's language, and seduced by the wonderful lifestyle of John and Deborah Clasky. You cheer for John's success, jeer for Deborah's sins, and become quite melancholy for the eventual tone of reality. Surprising choice by James Brooks to have Sandler be the lead male character, but it worked.
½ September 20, 2015
Is Teá Leoni playing a bipolar character - I need to know.
Ok.
This idea is clear to me, but all my research online has produced nothing if not silence.
Back to a review.
Overall, it's an extended sitcom formal with a pool of odd characters, including Adam Sandler playing Ray Romano-lite and Teá Leone playing a very difficult, flawed personality -with possible mental illness - which the other characters seem to simply act around and ignore/ tolerate without comment.
I'm completely baffled by this since I see the signs of possible mental illness, but without it's being addressed in any way.
And she's rather brilliant at it too - consistent, edgy, perplexed herself by her own reaction - a perfect candidate for the problems of someone with bipolar disorder. This could have easily been a film to deal on some level with this - see Silver Linings Playbook's dvd featurette with Director David O. Russell talking about the nuances of a bipolar personality played by Bradley Cooper, and the incredible conversation started bc of that brilliant and hilarious movie.
Ok.
Back to Spanglish -
an otherwise slight movie, a tv version of
Imitation of Life without all the overcooked drama. The maid's daughter wants to leave her hardworking mom's legacy for the seemingly better life of her mom's employer.
Outside of my Jones-ing about the unacknowledged bipolar mom character, this is an ok movie with slight hints of its soapy predecessor.
Not that memorable, outside of the moms.
That is all.

2.5 out of 5 sitcom family meetings
½ September 15, 2015
Cloris Leachman is the only watchable thing in this entire film. Everything else is overacted, forced and just painful to watch at times.
½ September 7, 2015
One of my top ten fave movies - mostly due to the beautiful relationship between Paz and her daughter. I absolutely love this movie.
September 1, 2015
Saw this movie several times, loved it! I could appreciate the language problems, as I have lived in foreign lands and encountered similar confusion.
½ August 12, 2015