Spanglish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spanglish Reviews

September 12, 2017
Spanglish is a great movie that's worth of a sequel, in my opinion. The entirety of the tension throughout the movie was never fully resolved, in my opinion. Fantastic performances by all actors. I think every actor found their niche and maximized their on screen potential. I do, though, believe the movie could've used about 20 more minutes or so to develop the story more carefully, though. I've enjoyed the ride this movie takes me on each time I watch it. 13 years later, I'm still concerned about these characters.
August 20, 2017
Story about a rich guy in a loveless marriage who ends up falling for his Hispanic maid. One of the only Sandler movies I enjoy. This and Punch Drunk Love. The acting is terrible but James L. Brooks does such a good job with this movie's story that I liked it.
July 24, 2017
Unique, comical, and heartwarming. A cultural comedy that touches the heart and giggle-box with its creative writing and unique characters who all transform due to a selfish, self-conscious woman and a sweet, gentile, unfamiliar maid. Very accurate, in regards to culture and behavior which makes the movie more enjoyable on a realistic note. Sandler isn't as boast in this film, but he still makes a great chef/father. Vega is also very endearing and beautiful in this film as she ultimately steals the audience away.
July 22, 2017
One of my favorite movies. Tea Leoni is outstanding in this film. I recognized aspects of myself in her character, Adam Sandler's character, and Clorid Leachman's character, and not always flattering aspects. This movie is much better than the critics would lead you to believe.
April 27, 2017
is it just me? What's with all the poor reviews? I love this movie!
½ February 2, 2017
kind of long but semi-entertaining. The kids acted well.
½ January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 26, 2016
Téa Leoni is just amazing in this!
½ December 6, 2016
One of Sandler's better movies but it didn't do it for me.
½ October 18, 2016
For a comedy about infidelity, this was a surprisingly heartfelt story with some real depth, wisdom, and relatable humanity to it. I liked it.
October 13, 2016
One of the best films. Ever.
September 25, 2016
Paz Vega and Sandler are dynamite.
September 24, 2016
Before I get to watch the classic Punch-Drunk Love that so many people talked about, Spanglish would be my favorite Adam Sandler movie. He really did good in it and the story is good, too.
½ September 3, 2016
Guising itself as a family comedy, Spanglish is an incredibly offensive film that promotes prejudice and intolerance against white America. The story follows a Mexican single mother who comes to America (illegally) with her daughter and takes a job as a housekeeper to a rich, white family in LA; but she soon becomes concerned that her job is leading her daughter to become Americanized. The not so subtle message being, don't accept help from the white man and resist integration with American culture. The mother is portrayed as heroic for tearing her daughter away from her white friends and for rejecting a scholarship for her daughter to attend a private school. Meanwhile the white family is shown to be debaucherous; with fat, lazy children, a cheating wife, and a weak-willed husband. Adam Sandler, Tea Leoni, and Paz Vega lead the cast and play their roles well-enough; but the film fails them, as the characters are written to serve the heavy handed political messages. Propagandist tripe, Spanglish is shameless and insulting.
½ September 1, 2016
"Spanglish" is an unexpected drama from funnyman Adam Sandler. On the surface, it might look like a multicultural chick flick but the film has more layers than you might expect. The key is the well-written script that manages several interwoven conflicts without feeling cumbersome. The main conflicts require a lot of depth from Sandler, who proves to be excellent in his serious acting, but his quirkiness occasionally takes us out of the moment. A script this heavy requires comic relief (with great examples from Cloris Leachman throughout the film) but the "Happy Gilmore" passive aggressive dialogue delivery doesn't fit the character. The real winner in this film is the bond between mother and daughter. It is interesting because the trailers focus on the love story but the opening narration sets the expectation for the mother-daughter relationship to be the most important plot point. Paz Vega is a true treat to watch. Her feistiness is reminiscent of Penelope Cruz while maintaining her own unique identity. I wish that she had made a larger splash in the American film market. Téa Leoni plays the erratic, materialistic mother very well. I think that her performance is overlooked because we don't like her character, but that is because she plays this bratty character so perfectly that we forget that she is acting. My final takeaway is that "Spanglish" predicted the foodie trend in film and television that would appear a few years later. When I first saw this in theaters, the food aspect didn't leave any sort of impression; however, now that I watch it in the context of foodie culture, I can really appreciate each scene that involves gourmet cuisine. "Spanglish" is far from a comedy but too quirky to be a serious drama. As long as you are prepared for something in the middle, this movie will provide you with plenty of great ups and downs.
½ August 31, 2016
From James L. Brooks, writer director of two best picture nominated movies, and one winner, as well as co-creator of The Simpsons, I was expecting better. Adam Sandler's performance and character are both great, with the latter being a little less great, having some things and moments I don't like. All the other performances have their moments, and they mostly do good in their characters. The first act was good, and I was really invested. But everything after that just wasn't very good, because once they went to the beach, there were only a few good moments. The directing is alright, and seems to make the best of writing that had way too much stuff, and not very many laughs.
August 30, 2016
A romance and family drama, told from the perspective of C3PO.
½ August 16, 2016
Spanglish is a slow-paced unfunny boring but entertaining movie. Had potential but was wasted by a bad script, pacing and a disappointing climax. Is watchable because it is entertaining and delivers some solid performances.
July 1, 2016
Made it through about a half an hour of this and realized that was enough to turn it off. No thanks.
June 14, 2016
It really was a decent film... seeing Sandler in a serious role was a refreshing change of pace.