Spanglish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spanglish Reviews

½ October 18, 2016
For a comedy about infidelity, this was a surprisingly heartfelt story with some real depth, wisdom, and relatable humanity to it. I liked it.
October 13, 2016
One of the best films. Ever.
September 25, 2016
Paz Vega and Sandler are dynamite.
September 24, 2016
Before I get to watch the classic Punch-Drunk Love that so many people talked about, Spanglish would be my favorite Adam Sandler movie. He really did good in it and the story is good, too.
½ September 3, 2016
Guising itself as a family comedy, Spanglish is an incredibly offensive film that promotes prejudice and intolerance against white America. The story follows a Mexican single mother who comes to America (illegally) with her daughter and takes a job as a housekeeper to a rich, white family in LA; but she soon becomes concerned that her job is leading her daughter to become Americanized. The not so subtle message being, don't accept help from the white man and resist integration with American culture. The mother is portrayed as heroic for tearing her daughter away from her white friends and for rejecting a scholarship for her daughter to attend a private school. Meanwhile the white family is shown to be debaucherous; with fat, lazy children, a cheating wife, and a weak-willed husband. Adam Sandler, Tea Leoni, and Paz Vega lead the cast and play their roles well-enough; but the film fails them, as the characters are written to serve the heavy handed political messages. Propagandist tripe, Spanglish is shameless and insulting.
½ September 1, 2016
"Spanglish" is an unexpected drama from funnyman Adam Sandler. On the surface, it might look like a multicultural chick flick but the film has more layers than you might expect. The key is the well-written script that manages several interwoven conflicts without feeling cumbersome. The main conflicts require a lot of depth from Sandler, who proves to be excellent in his serious acting, but his quirkiness occasionally takes us out of the moment. A script this heavy requires comic relief (with great examples from Cloris Leachman throughout the film) but the "Happy Gilmore" passive aggressive dialogue delivery doesn't fit the character. The real winner in this film is the bond between mother and daughter. It is interesting because the trailers focus on the love story but the opening narration sets the expectation for the mother-daughter relationship to be the most important plot point. Paz Vega is a true treat to watch. Her feistiness is reminiscent of Penelope Cruz while maintaining her own unique identity. I wish that she had made a larger splash in the American film market. Ta Leoni plays the erratic, materialistic mother very well. I think that her performance is overlooked because we don't like her character, but that is because she plays this bratty character so perfectly that we forget that she is acting. My final takeaway is that "Spanglish" predicted the foodie trend in film and television that would appear a few years later. When I first saw this in theaters, the food aspect didn't leave any sort of impression; however, now that I watch it in the context of foodie culture, I can really appreciate each scene that involves gourmet cuisine. "Spanglish" is far from a comedy but too quirky to be a serious drama. As long as you are prepared for something in the middle, this movie will provide you with plenty of great ups and downs.
½ August 31, 2016
From James L. Brooks, writer director of two best picture nominated movies, and one winner, as well as co-creator of The Simpsons, I was expecting better. Adam Sandler's performance and character are both great, with the latter being a little less great, having some things and moments I don't like. All the other performances have their moments, and they mostly do good in their characters. The first act was good, and I was really invested. But everything after that just wasn't very good, because once they went to the beach, there were only a few good moments. The directing is alright, and seems to make the best of writing that had way too much stuff, and not very many laughs.
August 30, 2016
A romance and family drama, told from the perspective of C3PO.
½ August 16, 2016
Spanglish is a slow-paced unfunny boring but entertaining movie. Had potential but was wasted by a bad script, pacing and a disappointing climax. Is watchable because it is entertaining and delivers some solid performances.
July 1, 2016
Made it through about a half an hour of this and realized that was enough to turn it off. No thanks.
June 14, 2016
It really was a decent film... seeing Sandler in a serious role was a refreshing change of pace.
May 28, 2016
Spanglish is directed and written by James L. Brooks, and it stars Adam Sandler, Paz Vega, Ta Leoni, and Cloris Leachman in a dramedy about a poor single mother named Flor, (Paz Vega) and she went to America with her daughter to have a better life and get jobs there. She managed to get a job as a nanny for a family of 5 and start to form a bit of a bond with them. I was very much looking forward to it as it has James L. Brooks as the director and writer, and it has Adam Sandler in it without it having Happy Madison Productions involved with it. Spanglish managed to live up to my expectations and is a great film. Adam Sandler is great in playing the drama moments while also giving some funny stuff when it's needed to be funny. I haven't seen Paz Vega in much films, so this is one her first films that I've seen her in, and she's not that bad in this one. It has some clever writing by James L. Brooks, and I care about the characters that was developed. The plot can be a bit too sitcommy at times, but the way that it deals with problems that I don't usually see in a dramedy is actually well done, and I was still interested about where it was going. James L. Brooks's heart is in the right place with this film, and while Spanglish isn't in the full extent of it, it was willing to show at least most of it and was trying to be a great film, in which it succeed on it.
March 9, 2016
Very interesting. Loved it!
½ February 6, 2016
½ January 25, 2016
Too dramatic for my liking!
December 9, 2015
I really like this movie. Cloris is great. I'm not sure why it wasn't better received.
½ December 1, 2015
watchable but not overly pleasing-not too many laughs or steady story to put your true interest in high gear-unarousingly appealing.
November 29, 2015
Interesante drama.
Pero su version hispana le quita mucho el chiste.
November 29, 2015
Interesante drama.
Pero el hecho de que la doblasen al espaol latino, resulta ser una decision erronea e innecesaria.
Su virtud es verla en su versin original.
½ November 18, 2015
In one word : Meh , now don't get me wrong , Sandler's performance had nothing to do with it , it is just how the movie was made, how the mother of a young girl became her role model after ruining her chance to get an easier life in the name of remaining true to her culture.
The movie is a bit everywhere , you start off by familiarizing yourself with a certain characters then you forget about them because they are no longer relevant to the story and in the middle of the movie , they add characters, the only good one other than Sandler'ss was played by Leachman. Spanglish was no disaster but it wasn't a movie I would watch again.