Breakaway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breakaway Reviews

September 7, 2016
OK I have been wanting another fun hockey movie for what seems like a decade. Reasons I love this movie. 1. The hockey scenes are fun and the people can actually play a little. 2. There is a legit choreographed Bollywood style ice skating dance dream sequence that is hilarious. 3. A random Drake cameo because Canada. 4. It helps open hockey to more cultures and in turn a learned a little more about Sikh head wraps and a sport Kabaddi. 5. I liked the family focused story. (I didn't care for Goon) 6. There is a sweet obligatory Bollywood video at the end that includes the cast and ..... Ludacris which is fun & hilarious. 7. The whole movie is well put together with a cohesive story that is both creative and enjoyable. My only complaint is that I didn't see this movie sooner...
½ November 23, 2015
Horrible. Watched for free and still feel ripped off. Would have burned down the theater had I bought a ticket.
November 17, 2013
I wanted to like this movie, but I found myself being more bored than not. The figure skating and music numbers were lively, but otherwise the charm of it's inspiration, Bend It Like Beckham, was just missing.
July 24, 2013
Loved the movie!!!!! Laughed the whole movie and it still brings me a smile when I think about it!
March 16, 2013
Not at all unwatchable or without charm, but I can't help feeling this movie was trying to recreate the successes of ,"Bend It Like Beckham" only in this movie the male lead is an Indian Canadian who plays hockey (not a young Indian British girl who plays soccer). They even have the same actor reprising his role as the uncompromising, traditional Indian father! Lightweight and predictable.
½ March 10, 2013
Predictable and uncomplicated. A fun little romantic comedy with a wonderful bollywood ice dance scene. A humorous exploration of Indo-Canadian culture clash.
February 26, 2013
This movie was too funny, a bunch of brown guys with the same last name playing hockey, enough said.
½ February 11, 2013
Terrible acting, cheesy script, and the characters are overall fake and unlikable.
Major disappointment
½ February 9, 2013
waste of talent like russel peters
February 5, 2013
This is actually pretty good. Kinda trippy and funny. Watch out for Drake and Ludacris!
January 11, 2013
It's a feel-good sports story you've seen a hundred times before, but this time with a twist: the hockey team isn't just seeking to become improbable champions, it's telling a larger story about acceptance and diversity. A bit hokey - produced with the support of the CBC, and without a doubt a movie that will be shown in schools coast-to-coast - the script trots out one cliched piece of dialogue after another, but the Bollywood indulgences, the Sports Movie Template - complete with Tournament Ladder Climbing Montage (TM) - and the central character's quest for his father's approval (and a new love, too) combine to make this an enjoyable, simple film. Probably not as good as some other movies I've given three stars to, but I was able to look past the annoying similarities to cheesy Tim Hortons commercials and follow the characters, particularly the lead, Rajveer (Vinay Virmani). Russell Peters can't really act, but hey, what can you do? I'm finding it really hard to be severe with this film. It seems designed to make viewers happy, and for this one, it did the job.
½ November 6, 2012
Bollywood movies should not make it to Hollywood screens, waste of time
October 11, 2012
A light hearted comedy about a young indian punjab boy that has a love for hockey and anything that is not part of his culture or religion in saying this it does not mean that in anyway that the movie disrespected Punjabi's in anyway it was more about finding the equilibrium with the eastern and western cultures and parental acceptance of what the new generation wants to achieve whether its in the direction of the family business or making it on their own. This movie is well done and you have Russell Peters in it and a special appearance of Ashkay Kumar a headliner in Bollywood Flicks. Give this movie a chance it may surprise you. It also has Rob Lowe from the West Wing and Brothers & Sisters fame.
The movie has a mighty duck feeling to it as well if your a fan og ice hockey you will enjoy this film too. Shot and based in Canada.
September 8, 2012
Behold because Indians now play not only cricket but also an ice hockey ... film was little bit boring though and also it looks like the makers couldn't decide what genre they were making so It got stacked somewhere between everything ...
½ August 28, 2012
First Indian movie about ice hockey and it was handled brilliantly. Loses half a star because apparently, penalties don't exist in hockey.
July 20, 2012
This movie had a lot of conflicting ideas and that made it hard to follow, but the cast was funny and the story overall was entertaining.
July 16, 2012
An uninspiring CBC production that is neither emotional or original. Bad jokes and some bad acting to accompany a weak story.
You'd think CBC could handle a hockey movie correctly.
July 11, 2012
Lame, predictable film with a poor script and a not-so-great lead.
½ July 3, 2012
Pretty funny....even for a hockey movie, it kept me entertained.....
June 30, 2012
Now horrible. Obviously people saying it's random as hell and has too many segues hasn't seen too many indian movies. They tend to do that. It was predictable though. And even a little out there for me. I'm still trying to figure out why a guy who lives in Canada has a dream of playing on the Leafs and playing the Wings, like they actually play each outher a lot or something, cuz they really don't. Not to mention it would actually make more sense if the guy lived in Detroit, considering there are a lot of indian families from the area, but whatever.