Sphere Reviews

• Mar 26, 2021

Not an excellent adaptation by any means but unfairly underrated. Taught tension throughout with excellent performances from its three leads.

• Jan 29, 2021

An intelligent movie that relies on the viewer to pay attention, appreciating the nuances of character interactions and dialogue. Excellent acting and visuals, and love the epiphany at the conclusion. Cannot fault this film.

• Jan 16, 2021

If you haven't read the book, this movie is a convoluted mess of plot points and character actions that make no sense. If you HAVE read the book, you may enjoy it as a sort of "greatest hits album" of certain important scenes. That's why I watched it, because after reading the book I was interested in seeing how things would be portrayed onscreen. But any appreciation I had for this movie is only because I had the book as supplemental material and knew how more about the characters and the threats they faced. I am much more interested in the supposedly upcoming HBO series, as I think that will provide the opportunity for further character and plot development. I did think it was well cast and well acted though. Also, his name is Norman Johnson in the book, WHY did they change it to Norman Goodman? I get that it was probably to match Hoffman's Jewish roots, but pick literally ANY other Jewish name. Norman Goodman is so clunky.

• Jan 03, 2021

I've always been a big fan of this one, never understanding just why it's soo hated. I can see now though that it suffers from major pacing issues and a lack of intensity. But it's still got some really cool ideas at play, and a dynamic cast.

• Dec 08, 2020

A resentful RT intern got this way wrong. Sphere is great because it adopts the Jaws style of storytelling; fear what's implied, not what's seen. The cast is actually really well balanced, with the right blend of intelligence, vocal authority, and subdued confidence. The story of Sphere is actually quite smart, but still reasonable enough to maintain an audience.

• Nov 13, 2020

The set was amazing.

The set was amazing.

• Sep 10, 2020

This movie is a strange, confusing attempt at multiple genres, below average for Michael Crichton. It's a film about scientists where the main interpersonal conflict boils down to "he said she said" drama, that all doesn't end up mattering in the end. A recurring theme is characters getting into a deadly situation and shouting "Help me! Do something!" over and over while everyone else sits around not doing anything. Bizarrely enough, this happens just as often the other way around, and the characters detach the audience from the narrative in a very damaging way. Although it has an interesting sci-fi concept it overstays its welcome and fails to flush out its runtime with an interesting, and by the end even a workable, plot. Closest comparison: It's like a worse version of Underwater by way of a much tamer Event Horizon. Setting: Deep Sea Adventure Plot: Sci-Fi Thriller Tone: Disaster

• Aug 10, 2020

Was a childhood favorite of mine and to this day is one of my favourite sci fi films period. The ending never bothered me at all and Dustin, Samual, Liev and the whole cast delivers awesome performances... I'm shocked this has such low critical and audience ratings

• Jul 06, 2020

Half baked but not without it's interesting ideas.

Half baked but not without it's interesting ideas.

• Jun 01, 2020

Impressively underwhelming, but somehow much of it still looks pretty good, FX-wise. The editing if often so blatantly disjointed, it's shocking they thought the movie was completed; maybe the deadline came rushing up and they had to turn *something* in? The delivery of the lines from actors who were already proven elsewhere in their careers makes it seem as though much of this was taken from dress rehearsals, or everyone filmed on an "off-day." This slipped through the cracks for me back in 1998, and seemingly for good reason.