Spider Baby Reviews

• Mar 07, 2019

Um, Blobbo still thinking. Ok, 3&1/2 stars - for originality, humor, enthusiasm.

• Oct 24, 2018

Save for Ohmart's curious performance in this low budget stinker, even Chaney, Jr. couldn't save what would have been a good idea turned bad.

• Sep 25, 2018

This movie was fucking sexy as hell

This movie was fucking sexy as hell

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Aug 16, 2018

Some straights go out on Route 66 and visit the Addams Family, thinking that the whole "other" (as in "if you're straight, then we are the other") thing is only an act. Guess what? It isn't. Lon Chaney, for a change, plays the normal one, but normal by how much is the question. (Not much is the answer). Get your kicks out on Route 66.

• Jun 10, 2018

I liked this one quite a bit, because despite the darker/tragic content which falls in the latter portion of the film, it's able to remain quite funny at times (that dinner scene had a pleasant flow of awkwardness) with a lot of heart. I also liked the gothic atmosphere as that added to the great blend of emotions this film delivered. Finally, I also thought the acting was really good. I didn't have any issues with a particular actor.

• Jun 06, 2018

Funny, non-conventional, and weirdly sexy. it's quite interesting and without much excesses of the modern productions of similar genre, although containing all the elements. Performances are good, especially of the young 'ladies'. It's also nice to see Lon Chaney in one of his last films. This film is a predecessor to such films like "We Are What We Are" or "Raw", only done with more freshness.

• Nov 22, 2017

i enjoyed watching spider baby, i thought it was extremely dumb however

i enjoyed watching spider baby, i thought it was extremely dumb however

• Jan 14, 2017

The Merrye family live with a genetic curse. As the family members get older, they mentally regress to a younger age, passing back through childhood until they finally hit an animalistic, cannibalistic state. Family chauffeur Bruno (Lon Chaney, Jr.) looks after the last three children of the family, sisters Elizabeth and Virginia and infantile older brother Ralph (Sid Haig). When distant relatives arrive with a lawyer, Bruno tries to stave off their attempts to take over the house and all the wealth of the remaining Merrye clan, as well as protect them from the kids' deadly games ... and an uncle and aunt who live hid away in the cellar. This wickedly black comedy from Jack Hill has easily the best performance Chaney gave in his later years ... he's really engaged with this one. He even gets to sing the title song.

• Dec 29, 2016

Wacky cannibal comedy. The two leads are adorable, Haig is unrecognizable and creepy, And Chaney Jr gives quite an impressive performance.

• Jun 12, 2016

Spider Baby is my kind of movie- off kilter and a lot of fun. Kind of a darker, edgier cousin of The Addams Family, it accomplishes something very difficult: occupying its own special little place in movie history. It does so by leaving the viewer feeling they have never seen anything quite like it before. A lot of mainstream moviegoers are turned off by the graphic violence common in horror films, and aficionados of the genre are bored with many newer films because they've seen it all before. Spider Baby offers something different- no explicit violence or nudity, but a well edited and paced film with ample amounts of winking dialogue, campy performances, and just the right amount of transgressive originality and nastiness to keep the attention of almost any movie fan.