Spider-Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man Reviews

½ May 16, 2018
A bit campy at times.A good start to the trilogy.
½ May 15, 2018
Kirsten Dunst only redeeming quality
May 2, 2018
???? ????? ??????? ?????? ???????????? ????????????, ??????? ?? ???? ????????. ??? ??????????? ?????, ? ???????? ??????? ? ??????????? ???????????.
May 1, 2018
A far better movie than homecoming will EVER BE.
May 1, 2018
The webslinger's first foray onto the big screen, and in many ways the grandfather of the big Marvel juggernaut that's been chewing up the box office for the last decade. Sam Raimi's vision of Spidey and his pals is true to the essence of the character, with a vibe that's often reminiscent of his '60s debut, while still feeling modern and serious when needed.

It boasts an extremely effective cast, despite selecting a few actors I don't usually enjoy. Tobey Maguire makes an appropriately awkward, plucky Peter Parker. Kirsten Dunst is sweet and charming as his lifelong next-door crush. James Franco shows range as the troubled best friend. J.K. Simmons was positively born for his bit role as the hot-headed J. Jonah Jameson. And, of course, Willem Dafoe brings a fantastically expressive act in the villainous role of Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin (though he's often, sadly, relegated to mere voice work behind a stiff, metal mask).

It has spirit and humor and character, but it also has a habit of over-reaching and a wince-worth tendency for ridiculously awful dialog. Even in print, it can be tough to keep this character from sounding corny and stilted, and in live action that's doubly difficult. The script constantly trips and stumbles over itself, trying and failing to seem cute and off-the-cuff, and Raimi's direction (itself known to lean on the cheesy side) always has the actors winking at the camera while their puns are falling flat.

The plot is solid, planting handfuls of seeds for future storylines while effectively setting up the current conflict, though it does have a nasty habit of over-indulgence. A double backflip during a schoolyard fistfight, for example, when the leap alone would've been enough. That kind of exaggeration is all over the place, and not only isn't it necessary, it actively ruins the immersion. I remembered really enjoying this upon its release, and it's still entertaining viewing, but much of it hasn't aged well, particularly in light of its modern counterparts.
½ May 1, 2018
It was kinda boring, and acting is really, really bad.
½ April 29, 2018
Spider-Man is a light hearted superhero film that is definitely better than expected when it first came out. Sam Rami did a great job keeping the pacing, but his direction is far from perfect. Some of the choices made in this film are just cheesy, the over the top slo mo and close ups are unintentionally laughable. The acting is well rounded, Tobey is a great Spider-Man and the greatest one until Tom Holland. He does have his moments of cheesiness for sure, but he is definitely fit for Spider-Man. Kristen Dunst though is downright awful, her performance doesn't match with Peter and is incredibly annoying. The other actors are great from Uncle Ben to the Green Goblin. The final climax is well choreographed, but is corny and shoddy at times. So with that being said, is Spider-Man equivalent to Superman 1978 in terms of direction, performances, and overall as a feel good superhero movie? Definitely not, but the solid acting, fast pacing, mostly great special effects, emotional scenes, and themes save this film.
½ April 23, 2018
Seen it at least twice with B years and years ago.
April 16, 2018
First time I have seen this movie, wasn't sure when it first came out. Thinking it might be too far fetched. 16 years later I sit down one afternoon and watched it from start to finish, a romance with lots of action. Can't wait to watch Spider-Man 2!
April 15, 2018
This movie is a really good introduction to Spider-Man compared to Tom Holland and Andrew Garfield.
March 28, 2018
In a world where we have aliens fighting gods and billionaires flying around in metal suits that appear out of nowhere, Does an early 2000s Spider-man still fit? Or is it now just a movie to look back on nostalgically and think "thank god we aren't in 2002 anymore."

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

I went into Spider-man with, what I would consider, pretty low expectations. I always remembered it being fun but forgettable. Although after watching it again for the first time in over a decade, I have to say that the movie is a lot more fun than people give it credit for.

Now I'll admit it isn't very comic book accurate (think natural wed-shooters), but I wasn't a comic book reader when this movie came out so I had nothing to compare it too. This made my enjoyment of the movie far greater because of that. Peter in this movie isn't the tech savvy, smart ass, so it would be out of place for him to build web-shooters and other tech stuff. He was just a guy being bullied, he liked MJ, he had a family that cared about him. He had traits that any young person at the time could relate to. This is what made his character great. so for him to become Spider-man felt like something that could happen to any of us.

The performances from the cast were great as well. Tobey Maguire is definitely not a wise cracking Spider-Man. but the character he portrayed on screen was good. Kirsten Dunst was great as MJ. She was pretty and you felt that she was torn between wanting to fit in, and wanting to be her own person. Willem Defoe was great as the Green Goblin. His change between Norman Osborn and the Goblin was great and the scene with him talking to the Goblin through the mirror felt like 2 different people. James Franco was grand. nothing special but not bad either, although it was a bit mellow dramatic at times.

The action scenes were good. The first appearance of the Goblin at the parade was fun to watch and it show cased a lot of both his and Spider-Man's abilities. The final fight though, to me, kind of came out of left field. Spider-man hadn't gone looking for the Goblin, he just appeared. To me the flow was just a bit off. The uncle Ben scenes too were fine. It felt genuine when Uncle Ben was telling Peter that "with great power come great responsibility."

Now there were some things that didn't work for me. The script at times did feel very expositiony. I'm assuming this was because there wasn't a lot of super hero movies out so a lot of things had to be explained to the audience. I also didn't like the sudden change to Osborn after he went through the gas. It just seemed like there was nothing then everything. I would have liked to see a progression of this rather than a sudden change, but that might just be on me.

VERDICT: MINOR SURGERY

I had fun with this movie. It definitely felt like a different time in comic films. I think I counted 3 Batman and superman references (Aunt may flat out says "you're not superman, you know"), but it is a movie that feels "comicbooky" and enjoyable. I'm OK with him not being a comic accurate Spider-man, but I have to say , he doesn't hold a candle to Tom Holland.

David.
½ March 24, 2018
May not be to everyone's taste and it's certainly not flawless, but I think it's a superbly directed, deftly made adaptation of the classic comic book character that has stood the test of time.
March 22, 2018
Spider - Man is a really good superhero film but Tobey Maguire is not the right guy in the suit.
March 22, 2018
one of the best marvel movies. it has good actors a great story and an emotional scene when Ben dies. its handled better in this version rather than the amazing spider-man. overall its a great movie and id really recommend this movie to any super hero movie fan.
½ March 19, 2018
My second favorite of the Spiderman films (first being Spiderman 2)
March 18, 2018
This movie is responsible for starting marvel fan craze in India and China
Really it's the universal Spider-Man film
March 10, 2018
What a great comic book movie. The exact kind of Spider-man story that we need. Kirsten Dunst is sooo sexy. James Franco is great. Willem Dafoe makes a great villain. Toby McGuire is perfect for Spider-man.
March 10, 2018
Un comienzo realmente original para una de las sagas mas importantes en la historia del cine de superheroes.
March 5, 2018
Spider-Man brings Marvel most iconic superhero onto the big screen in epic charm, taking this fan favorite character and adding every coolness factor that made the comic book iteration awesome. Sam Raimi knew his work, and also have a great main trio and a dastardly performace from Willem Defoe as arch-nemesis, Green Goblin.
½ March 4, 2018
A superhero film that stays loyal to the comics and makes an enjoyable movie out of it all. Director Sam Raimi's ambitious and surprising breakthrough sees us swinging with Spidey and some great comic book style action and humor, even down to being as animated as it is. At the helm are: Tobey Maguire pulling off both aspects of the web-slinger, Willem Dafoe's hammy performance of the Green Goblin, and J.K. Simmons as the perfect casting of the first reporter of "fake news". This action-adventure blends the drive of many characters alongside the blockbuster action. As a result, Spider-Man not only stands on the shoulders of great superhero films, but also leads us into a new modern era.