Spider-Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man Reviews

January 17, 2017
Tobey Maguire is how I see Spiderman. His heart and cheerable performance makes him an easy hero to back, and Sam Raimi's tight and exciting direction add to one of the first Superhero films to truly bring the thrills.
½ January 13, 2017
Tobey Maguire's First Appearence As Spider-Man And This MOVIE WENT Awesome! GOOD JOB SAM RAIMI! Have a Cookie!
January 3, 2017
A very exelent movie.
December 31, 2016
This movie is tons of fun for kids and adults to mostly enjoy since this movie had a really talented director doing this movie(Sam Raimi) A few flaws like Green Goblin's costume, Some Visual Effects, and Bland Characters don't take away from a great movie. You will enjoy this movie, as long as you don't hate some cheesy dialogue.
December 26, 2016
An over the top kind of superhero movie, with the green goblin being too silly for his own good. Despite that, it's still an enjoyable experience from the last decade! Only wish that Toby Mcguire didn't speak with a soft voice half the time, because he sounded like a pedophile! That was irritating, but thank God that he didn't constantly do it!
December 24, 2016
great comic book adaptation
December 15, 2016
A good movie but I wish it had more fighting
December 13, 2016
the best spiderman and the best green goblin
December 11, 2016
Easily one of the biggest superhero movies at the time, Spiderman is a great origin story that we never saw before at the time. Maguire along with Dafoe and Franco are amazing at their roles.
½ December 11, 2016
It's entertaining, but not my favorite superhero movie ever, that designation is between either The Dark Knight or Superman II.
December 5, 2016
I've watched this movie sooo many times I can play it in my head
½ December 2, 2016
When I first saw Spider-Man in the theater 14 years ago I hated it with a fiery passion, because he was easily my favorite comic book character and I felt this movie betrayed me completely. I now recognize that overly dramatic reaction was an exaggeration based on the fact that I felt so disappointed. I went in wanting perfection and it didn't deliver, so I hated it. Seeing it again now, knowing what to expect, I didn't despise it at all. However, I don't love the movie, it was kind of a mixed bag for me of positives and negatives. So I thought I'd break this review down into my core opinions:

Positive = While they eliminated the whole Gwen Stacy thing, otherwise they did a pretty solid job of sticking to the comic book's origin for Spider-Man. From "with great power comes great responsibility" to his first wrestling match, they made a solid attempt to appeal to the fans.

Negative = The film felt a tad rushed because they had so much to get through in order to reach the final confrontation with the Green Goblin. So many things didn't make sense in the plot because they wouldn't take their time to explain it properly or let the characters develop in a logical way.

Positive = They made some really brilliant casting decisions in a few roles that I could not imagine going a different way. J.K. Simmons is the perfect fast-talking J. Jonah Jameson, Willem Dafoe is delightfully menacing as Norman Osborn, and Kirsten Dunst is a charming love interest who manages to sell some not-so-great lines of dialogue.

Negative = The CGI and green-screen work is not good and has not aged well. You can always tell when they make the transition to effects and it stands out like a sore thumb.

Positive = They did some action sequences using practical effects, and those were really well done. The costume for Spider-Man looked pretty great, and therefore any still shots or practical stunts were excellent.

Negative = The Green Goblin's armored suit is horrendous. He looks like a character plucked right out of a Power Rangers episode, and doesn't belong in the same film with that good Spider-Man suit. Also it takes away the joy of seeing Willem Dafoe's villainous snarl, which might be the best one you'll see from any actor in Hollywood.

Positive = I like how they touched on the fact that Peter Parker has a tendency to over-extend himself trying to do too much at the same time, but they didn't belabor the point and make it the focus of the whole film. The simple passing references to getting fired from Dr. Connor's lab for always being late was enough for us to know what's going on without having to see him constantly annoying everyone with his tardiness.

Negative = Remember how I said they made some great casting decisions? Well the most important one is where they really dropped the ball. I cannot stand Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. It's hard for me to explain, but his dweeby personality just doesn't fit. (Peter Parker was more of a Nerd or Geek, not a Dweeb, and there is a difference.) I don't like his child-like voice coming out of Spider-Man, and I cringe whenever you actually see his face and are supposed to believe he's in a fight scene with full-grown adults. He also feels like a complete mismatch with Kirsten Dunst, and they have no chemistry, despite her best efforts to sell it. James Franco isn't much better, but I won't get into that.

When I tally it all up I think I still lean a little towards the side of disliking Spider-Man, but at least now I can understand that there are good qualities that make other people like the film.
½ November 30, 2016
One of my favorite Marvel films next to The Avengers and Captain America: Civil War! While Mary Jane is bland and uninteresting, the action scenes and plot are good enough to make this a film I highly enjoy!
November 24, 2016
,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,¦â¦,......
November 18, 2016
Spider-Man is a fun and charming adaptation of the classic superhero filled with spectacular action scenes, spot-on casting, and a tone and spirit loyal to the comics, even if the dated CGI and goofiness will turn off some.
valllerivanov
½ November 13, 2016
That movie starts the string of the spider man that I'm grown with and raise the bar really high for the next super hero movie which comes soon after it. This part is really good synthesized. I can tell much more good thing abouy the movie but you can make them on your own.
November 3, 2016
the movie was still enjoyable for me.
½ October 11, 2016
A lot of people say this movie is waaaaay cheesy and waaaaay over the top, but that's not quite what I see (maybe it's the nostalgia blinding me?). What I see is an incredibly stylish, incredibly interesting superhero movie that actually has a good story for once. The action is really good, and is used sparingly, and only in service of the themes/story (take notes, current marvel). Is it perfect? No, but it's still better than basically every MCU movie.
October 6, 2016
We've gotten two Spider-Man origin stories, and I think this one beats out Andrew Garfield's any day of the week. This movie knocks it out of the ball park. Not only does it show case the emotional side of Peter Parker, it has Willam Defoe as an amazing villain that pulls the audience in.
October 5, 2016
Toby Maguire is not a great choice for Spiderman. It had it's moments but never really pulled me in as I had hoped.