Spider-Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man Reviews

December 5, 2016
I've watched this movie sooo many times I can play it in my head
December 3, 2016
Although this superhero film has rather basic, simple characters in order to emphasize more on Spider Man, the main character, it is extremely above average level for an action flick.
½ December 2, 2016
When I first saw Spider-Man in the theater 14 years ago I hated it with a fiery passion, because he was easily my favorite comic book character and I felt this movie betrayed me completely. I now recognize that overly dramatic reaction was an exaggeration based on the fact that I felt so disappointed. I went in wanting perfection and it didn't deliver, so I hated it. Seeing it again now, knowing what to expect, I didn't despise it at all. However, I don't love the movie, it was kind of a mixed bag for me of positives and negatives. So I thought I'd break this review down into my core opinions:

Positive = While they eliminated the whole Gwen Stacy thing, otherwise they did a pretty solid job of sticking to the comic book's origin for Spider-Man. From "with great power comes great responsibility" to his first wrestling match, they made a solid attempt to appeal to the fans.

Negative = The film felt a tad rushed because they had so much to get through in order to reach the final confrontation with the Green Goblin. So many things didn't make sense in the plot because they wouldn't take their time to explain it properly or let the characters develop in a logical way.

Positive = They made some really brilliant casting decisions in a few roles that I could not imagine going a different way. J.K. Simmons is the perfect fast-talking J. Jonah Jameson, Willem Dafoe is delightfully menacing as Norman Osborn, and Kirsten Dunst is a charming love interest who manages to sell some not-so-great lines of dialogue.

Negative = The CGI and green-screen work is not good and has not aged well. You can always tell when they make the transition to effects and it stands out like a sore thumb.

Positive = They did some action sequences using practical effects, and those were really well done. The costume for Spider-Man looked pretty great, and therefore any still shots or practical stunts were excellent.

Negative = The Green Goblin's armored suit is horrendous. He looks like a character plucked right out of a Power Rangers episode, and doesn't belong in the same film with that good Spider-Man suit. Also it takes away the joy of seeing Willem Dafoe's villainous snarl, which might be the best one you'll see from any actor in Hollywood.

Positive = I like how they touched on the fact that Peter Parker has a tendency to over-extend himself trying to do too much at the same time, but they didn't belabor the point and make it the focus of the whole film. The simple passing references to getting fired from Dr. Connor's lab for always being late was enough for us to know what's going on without having to see him constantly annoying everyone with his tardiness.

Negative = Remember how I said they made some great casting decisions? Well the most important one is where they really dropped the ball. I cannot stand Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. It's hard for me to explain, but his dweeby personality just doesn't fit. (Peter Parker was more of a Nerd or Geek, not a Dweeb, and there is a difference.) I don't like his child-like voice coming out of Spider-Man, and I cringe whenever you actually see his face and are supposed to believe he's in a fight scene with full-grown adults. He also feels like a complete mismatch with Kirsten Dunst, and they have no chemistry, despite her best efforts to sell it. James Franco isn't much better, but I won't get into that.

When I tally it all up I think I still lean a little towards the side of disliking Spider-Man, but at least now I can understand that there are good qualities that make other people like the film.
½ November 30, 2016
One of my favorite Marvel films next to The Avengers and Captain America: Civil War! While Mary Jane is bland and uninteresting, the action scenes and plot are good enough to make this a film I highly enjoy!
November 24, 2016
,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,¦â¦,......
November 18, 2016
Spider-Man is a fun and charming adaptation of the classic superhero filled with spectacular action scenes, spot-on casting, and a tone and spirit loyal to the comics, even if the dated CGI and goofiness will turn off some.
valllerivanov
½ November 13, 2016
That movie starts the string of the spider man that I'm grown with and raise the bar really high for the next super hero movie which comes soon after it. This part is really good synthesized. I can tell much more good thing abouy the movie but you can make them on your own.
November 3, 2016
the movie was still enjoyable for me.
½ October 11, 2016
A lot of people say this movie is waaaaay cheesy and waaaaay over the top, but that's not quite what I see (maybe it's the nostalgia blinding me?). What I see is an incredibly stylish, incredibly interesting superhero movie that actually has a good story for once. The action is really good, and is used sparingly, and only in service of the themes/story (take notes, current marvel). Is it perfect? No, but it's still better than basically every MCU movie.
October 6, 2016
We've gotten two Spider-Man origin stories, and I think this one beats out Andrew Garfield's any day of the week. This movie knocks it out of the ball park. Not only does it show case the emotional side of Peter Parker, it has Willam Defoe as an amazing villain that pulls the audience in.
October 5, 2016
Toby Maguire is not a great choice for Spiderman. It had it's moments but never really pulled me in as I had hoped.
½ September 27, 2016
Sam Raimi delivers comic book fans the long-awaited Spider-Man film adaption we have been waiting for for decades! With a semi-original origin story, Raimi's take on the web-slinging, wall-crawler will have you respecting this particular version of the masked vigilante more so than you did the Spider-Man in both the animated series and the original comic books! Spider-Man is one of the greatest film adaptions of any comic book character we have seen on the big screen with talented actors, excellent action sequences, and of course, how could anyone forget, the amazing upside down kiss between Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson! Spider-Man is genre-defining masterpiece!
½ September 21, 2016
Sam Raimi's Spider-man has its flaws, but thanks to great performances from an accurately chosen cast and a classy directon, it stays the best big screen adaptation of the comic books so far ever made.
September 8, 2016
Can the film be cheesy at times? Yes. Are the CGI scenes a little dated? Yes. But you can't deny that it has great action, edge of your seat suspense, and a hell of a lot of heart. Tobey Maguire delivers a charming performance as Spidey and Willem Dafoe is downright sinister as the Goblin.
½ September 5, 2016
Superhuman mutigenesis born of the perpetual need for warrior supremacy wreaks its inevitable havoc.
August 30, 2016
"Spider-Man" balances between superhero clichs and its own personality, a balance that definitely tips in its favour thanks to the solid action, the secret-life theme perplexing Peter Parker's normal life, and a few simple yet realistic and touching moments. Some of the dialogues do fall under that latter category, whereas others range from average to cringeworthy. Sam Raimi offers an overall successful portrayal of Peter Parker/ Spider-Man but one whose obvious missteps bring it down a tad.
August 30, 2016
Thanks to a tightly written script, heartfelt performances and exciting action. Spider Man succeeds as the first great comic book film and set the mark for many more in the future
½ August 28, 2016
Hard to put in words how good this film was and still is. This film was a major step towards what would become the MCU. I dare say if this film bombed we would not be living in the age of superhero movies we are today.
August 27, 2016
To me spiderman is the best superhero ever to me