Spider-Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man Reviews

July 20, 2017
Still one of the best superhero origin stories.
July 19, 2017
The first installment of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy starts off with a bang. The whole movie keeps a good pace, has a troubled hero and villain, and the back story is good and works. I love the cinematic shots of Spider-Man swinging around the city, it just looks cool. The actors fit into their roles. Tobey Maguire IS Spider-Man. William Dafoe and Kirsten Dunst play great catchup. The are some moments of goofy or even campy moments/jokes, but that's kind of how Spider-Man is, so no real points deducted from that as comic book accuracy. All in all "Spider-Man" (2002) is an awesome comic book movie and one of Sam Raimi's finest pieces.
½ July 19, 2017
Tobey Maguire is the worst Spiderman ever
July 18, 2017
Awesome movie loved itâ?¤
½ July 18, 2017
It is the movie that made Spider Man a great superhero.
July 17, 2017
Pros: Willem Dafoe's performance of the Green Goblin, Only Origin of Spiderman on the big screen. (I don't count the Amazing Spiderman movie), Nostalgia of childhood memories watching this movie. Seeing Kristen Dunst's wet T-shirt boobs.

Cons: Dated Special effects, A few overdramatic scenes.
½ July 17, 2017
Strongly developed and more stylized than just about any superhero movie ever made.
July 16, 2017
Well made super hero flick, but I enjoyed it a lot more back in the day. It feels a bit dated now. 4/5

Update (2017)-this movie really set the foundation for homecoming to follow. I just don't like the casting choice of Peter Parker and MJ. The story and feel of the movie is fun though.
½ July 15, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of Spiderman in the world. Actually, I find him highly overrated as a comic character. As the far as this movie goes, it's good, but no classic.
July 15, 2017
amazing movie great origin story best spiderman
July 15, 2017
Best Marvel movie of all time.
½ July 14, 2017
This film succeeds on practically all levels. The story is great, while they are some cliches. The characters are great. The emotion is spot on. Green Goblin might be cheesy in this film, but he is still a great villain!
July 14, 2017
Spider man was the film responsible for the current superhero fever, we have excellent performances here. The direction of Sam Raimi is competent and shows how much he is fan of the hero. The chemistry between Tobey Maguite and Kirsten Dunst is practically nil, being this the only real problem of the film. Did I mention that J.K. Simmons is spectacular?
½ July 14, 2017
Before I see Spider Man: Homecoming for the second time, I looked back on the classic 2002 version. It was a long time since I've seen it, and I'd forgotten how much I liked it! It really is one of the classic superhero movies that sets the bars for future franchises. And everything about the execution of this movie is brilliant.
Starting with the performance. Obviously, Tobey Maguire is the best one. Everything he does that challenges him as an actor he pulls off phenomenally. Before he becomes spider man, he's a nerd. He does that well. When he gets bit by the radioactive spider, he's suddenly super awesome and beats the crap out of Flash Thompson. When something bad happens to him, you can genuinely feel his sadness. When he's in he Spidey suit, he's a different guy, he's never afraid and kind of funny. And this movie isn't really always about Spider-Man. It's about Peter Parker and his life and experience AS Spidey. And Tobey Maguire pulls it off really, really well. But there are many other note worthy performances in this movie. Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin is amazing. His performance is really terrifying and believable. Kirsten Dunst is also great as the love interest. J.K. Simmons is really funny, and James Franco is a very interesting character - that's about all I can say without spoiling it for you.
Like I said, everything about the execution of this movie is perfect. Director Sam Raimi does an amazing job on this. He really captures the feel that this movie should have. The costume design on Spider-man and Green Goblin is amazing and really ahead of its time. The computer generated things on Spidey and the Green Goblin are also really impressive.
Overall, the 2002 original Spider Man is groundbreaking and original, setting bars for future superhero movies, featuring phenomenal performances, state-of-the-art special effects and amazing costume design, and enough character building in the first and second act and amazing action in the final act. This one is definetly worth watching.
½ July 13, 2017
Sam Raimi delivers a blockbuster for a beloved character with action and heart.
July 12, 2017
Fun, entertaining, and well-acted and directed, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is a fantastic movie. Tobey Maguire is incredible as both Peter and Spider-Man, and his performance is second only to Tom Holland. Willem Dafoe is amazing as Norman Osborn, and JK Simmons is literally PERFECT as J. Jonah Jameson.
July 12, 2017
Arguably the moment where the superhero wave really started in a true, albeit imperfect, comic book fashion.

Spider-Man follows the template of the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko source material, with hero Peter Parker an orphaned, intellectual teen loner living in Queens with his aunt (Rosemary Harris) and uncle (Cliff Robertson), and dreaming of the girl next door, Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst). On a field trip to a Columbia University lab, Peter is bitten by a genetically altered spider and overnight he gains superhuman strength, agility, and perception.

After watching "Spider-Man: Homecoming" (which I actually enjoyed), I thought I'd go back and re-watch all the Spider-Man films made since the original. To start off all the films, we start out with the original "Spider-Man" created by Sam Raimi. In all honesty, I didn't love this film. I wouldn't even consider it a great film, but I feel like this is what started the wave of superhero films that we have today.

Let's talk about Toby Maguire's version of Spider-Man. I think he's not the best version, considering Andrew Garfield brought this heavy hitting emotion to the role and Tom Holland brought a fun vibe to it. I think Maguire is fine for the most part. His acting is good but like I said, I don't think he's the most memorable version of Spider-Man to date.

This is a superhero film that feels a lot like a comic book. One thing about Marvel films is that they feel more realistic. The way they're shot and the color grading used is a lot more flat and realistic whereas here, it really is like a comic book on screen. In all honesty, I prefer what Marvel's been doing, or even D.C. (lots of vibrant colors and CGI), as this just felt really cheesy. I think it's necessarily a bad thing. I think it's good to have a mix of comic book films out there. This is just a different type of film, and the best way to describe it is that it's just a comic book on screen.

One thing I really liked about this film was the costumes. Spider-Man's costume here looked really real and the details in his suit were well brought out. I genuinely love his costume and I think the costume design here was really nice. The CGI obviously won't be phenomenal, being 15 years old, but I think it holds up decently.

In the end, the first film was okay. I don't think it was great but it certainly wasn't bad. I think it's a decent start, and we'll see how the rest goes.
July 12, 2017
in this perfect comic book movie it has that same feel to the 60's comic books. the cast is just amazing the writing is just well done and the story is just excellent and one thing i really like about this movie is that it's not all dark like the mark webb flims are. so it's a fun movie
½ July 12, 2017
Spider-Man isn't quite as good as it's sequel but it's a fantastic debut for the wall-crawler with excellent performances all around and a great villain in Green Goblin played by Willem Dafoe. (4.5/5)
½ July 12, 2017
Pretty decent flick, definitely inaccurate to the source material, however.