Spider-Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man Reviews

January 17, 2018
The classic Spidey tale.
January 16, 2018
The first Spider-man movie ever was directed by Sam Raimi and stars Tobey Maguire as our friendly neighborhood Spider-man. Now obviously the movie brings a lot of nostalgia with it , especialy with a character as loved as Spidey. We all remember the spider bite , or the first time he crawls on the wall and puts the iconic red and blue suit and swings around New York , or uncle Ben speech , or that amazing final showdown with Green Goblin and so on. But Sam Raimi also knew that the most important aspect in Spider-man universe beside the action scenes , are the characters and there is no low point when it comes on acting for this movie. Tobey is great as Peter Parker and Willem Dafoe was born to play Norman Osborne aka the Green Goblin. Just the way the action scenes are filmed and the way the movie knows when to slow down shows that everyone that worked on it not only wanted to deliver a good superhero movie , but a good movie in general. Spider-man is and will always be one of the best origin story's out there and the start of superheroes movies the way we know them to be today.
January 14, 2018
My first superhero movie that I ever saw, i was so cool, and funny, I liked better than the new spider-man movie, I miss tobey as spidey.
January 13, 2018
Fun movie and introduction to Spider-Man. I liked that they made his web-shooting ability one of his super powers instead of him making web-shooters. Tobey Maguire is my second favorite Spider-Man although he's a little old for a high school student, but he wasn't great at the quips like Spider-Man is known for. I wouldn't have cast Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn either. His performance as Green Goblin was a little odd and he didn't much look and feel like Norman Osborn. Kirsten Dunst also didn't have the look or feel of Mary Jane Watson. I'm also not sure why Uncle Ben and Aunt May are geriatrics when Peter is in high school. Great casting of JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. Decent action sequences, but I'm not sure what's up with the Green Goblin costume.
January 8, 2018
Spider-Man can get rather cheesy sometimes(Green Goblin: "We'll meet again, Spider-Man") and some of the effects look fake. However, Spider-Man is one of the most entertaining origin stories to date. Other effects look amazing mainly practical ones. Those look the most breathtaking. Tobey Maguire was born to play Spider-Man and I support Tom Holland, who's pretty good himself, wanting to have Maguire play Uncle Ben. A great mixture of comedy and drama with some fun action/save-the-day sequences. Willem Dafoe is irresisitibly entertaining in the Jekyll/Hyde-esque role of the Green Goblin. I believed he seemed to have some form of split-personality disorder from an experiment gone wrong. Iconic shots, Danny Elfman's score, a highly stylized New York and having a huge Spider-Man fan as the director help guarantee this movie to stand the test of time despite some shortcomings.
January 6, 2018
Corny and campy at times, but full of heart. Feels like the perfect big screen adaptation and introduction for Peter Parker AND Spider-Man.
January 4, 2018
what a great film-especially for it's time
a great origin story that quickly turns into a great film
a likeable cast
a great villain-albeit he can seem cartoon-ish at times (it's never bothered me however)
great action
one of the best endings I have seen in a film
and,most of all,brilliant direction and pacing
Although some scenes are now awkward to watch.Such as the first encounter between spider-man and green goblin and the wrestling scene (not that these are bad scenes). Green goblin's suit...wasn't the best...I liked the mask/helmet but the suit itself was pretty bad-they should have added more purple or something and get rid of the neck piece
Overall,it may have not aged to well but it's still one of the best hero films
as a grade:A- or A if I feel generous
January 3, 2018
It's extremely fun, exciting and sometimes cheesy with the best Peter Parker yet and an amazing main villain with other AMAZING performances as well.
December 21, 2017
Superb introduction to the webslinger and surprisingly touching at times.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Spider-man está llena de la esencia que caracteriza a su personaje desde su concepción. Un clásico que trascenderá los tiempos.
½ December 17, 2017
What a great comic book movie. The exact kind of Spider-man story that we need. Kirsten Dunst is sooo sexy. James Franco is great. Willem Dafoe makes a great villain. Toby McGuire is perfect for Spider-man.
December 9, 2017
Taking into consideration a massively critically and commercially successful solo introduction (only surpassed by the Avengers and the recent Spider-Man Homecoming before Wonder Woman as well in terms of prologues), Spider-Man does comic book justice to all its key elements, regardless of occasional flaws and cheesiness as well.
½ December 5, 2017
Definitely not my favourite movie
In fact far from it, I would be ok watching it a few times but couldn't watch it any more than five times.
November 27, 2017
Very cool movie. With good moral values.
November 26, 2017
Spider-Man: Gleefuly fun, light hearted and a fast paced action packed flick that stands as a true testament to the modern comic books adaptations. While embracing the character and plot with powerful, albeit cheesy results.
November 24, 2017
An over the top kind of superhero movie, with the green goblin being too silly for his own good. Despite that, it's still an enjoyable experience from the last decade! Only wish that Toby Mcguire didn't speak with a soft voice half the time, because he sounded like a pedophile! That was irritating, but thank God that he didn't constantly do it!
November 19, 2017
9 April 2004
Studios lately have been known to spend almost $200 million dollars bringing a comic book super hero to life on the silver screen. With $200 million dollars you can buy many state of the art special effects for the director to full around with to his hearts content. If in the process, though, he decides to fore-go an entertaining story and script, characters that we can get to know and sympathize with, and good actors to bring those characters to life, all the special effects in the world isn't going to amount to a hill of beans. Fortunately for us, in bringing Marvel Comic's Spiderman to life, Sam Raimi did care about those little details and the audience is richly rewarded because of it.

One of the trickier tasks when transferring a film such as Spiderman to film is in giving us enough background story. If a writer and director spend too much time on the origins of the character, it has a tendency to bog the rest of the film down. Likewise, if it is given short thrift, we never have a chance to become involved emotionally with the super-hero. In Spiderman, Raimi, aided immeasurably by Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spiderman strikes just the right note. Maguire is such an accomplished actor, that he immediately establishes Peter Parker as someone we will care about throughout the film. He has a crush on the beautiful girl next door, Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), is constantly harassed by the school jerk, and has a best friend, Harry (James Franco), who's relationship with his father Norman (Willem Dafoe)is far from perfect. As for Peter, he has an exceptional home life with his Uncle Ben (Cliff Robertson) and Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) which is probably one of the reasons Harry develops an early kinship with him. That and the fact that Harry's father seems to think more of Peter than he does of his own son at times.

After having been bitten by a mutated spider, Peter awakens one morning to find himself with some exceptional super powers. He develops muscles that he didn't have before, has reflexes Michael Jordan would be proud of, and can shoot a web like nobody's business. It is during these early scenes of discovery by Peter that the film truly excels. Maguire is like a child whom after taking his first steps, learns he can motor about the house quite nicely, thank you very much. We can't help but have as much fun watching Peter Parker hone his skills as he seems to have in being able to do these magnificent feats.

Another fine aspect of Spiderman is the love story that develops between Parker and Mary Jane. As Peter Parker, he is never able to quite overcome his inability to tell Mary Jane of his true feelings. Later, as Spiderman, there is a wonderful scene between him and Mary Jane in a drenching downpour that any romantic film would envy.

Whereas some have not been too enamored of Dafoe's portrayal as Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, I found both to be right on the mark. As Norman, we see how his continuous drive to control his company alienates and spoils the relationship he has with his son Harry. It's not that Norman is an evil person, his quest for power has led him to more or less take his son for granted. Later, when after a lab accident, it is the schizophrenic battle between the normal Harry and the Evil Harry that brings the Green Goblin to life. It would have been easy for Raimi to have the lab accident just turn Harry instantly into the Green Goblin, but instead we get a richer more dramatic story that we wouldn't have had otherwise.

Likewise James Franco, who looks enough like Dafoe that they could be father and son, is a youth who seems tormented by the fact that no matter what success he achieves, his father never gives him his just due. Kirsten Dunst is also beautiful and charming as Mary Jane. Her romantic scenes with Spiderman are wonderfully played, and she has an especially moving scene with Peter Parker as the film draws to a close.

As for the special effects, they are indeed spectacular. As Spiderman swoops between buildings on his web, you won't think once that it's not really him doing so. When reading IMDB reviews of this film or any other film that depends heavily on special effects, one must keep in mind that it has become more or less a hobby among some to downgrade the effects of any film so my advice is to just ignore the criticism in that regard. The effects here are fine.

Two years ago, it was with quite a bit of eagerness that I anticipated Raimi's Spiderman film and it lived up to my hopes in every aspect. If the impending sequel comes even close to being as good as the original, it'll be a job well done. And if a film such as Spiderman can have me counting the days until Spiderman II, than I have no choice but to give it my grade, which for Spiderman is an A.Poignant, fun and a faithful adaptation to the original comic book. I am very critical of comic book movies since I am a huge fan of the medium and was tremendously disappointed in the Superman and Batman movies (all of them, some greatly!). This film however has again demonstrated that an adaptation of a comic book story can be fun and faithful to the story, yet be a film for all ages and those who may not have ever even read a comic book. The Crow was the only other good comic book movie in my opinion, but it was not an all ages fun ride as this is!

I had the privilege of seeing the film last night, 4-30-02, in SF with the press and 300+ other folks for its "Bay Area Premiere".

The acting is the finest portion of the film with the leads giving us depth that I was unsure would be allowed by the style of story chosen. Maguire was outstanding at being a guy who can rarely catch a break, but attract difficulty with ease and aplomb. He is awkward with the woman he loves, but eloquent when dealing with the familiar, just as most teenagers are even today. He gave us wonderful joy at the prospect of "web swinging" and kicking some much deserved ass! Dafoe is wonderfully scary as the man who has succumbed to the power games of the corporate world that drives a decent man mad striving for perfection in himself while trying to hard to please all the wrong people to no avail and then being consumed by guilt that has built over the years of family neglect which finally helps to push him over the edge when an opportunity to make a huge mistake presents itself.

The rest of cast is nearly as spectacular with the J.K. Simmons turning in the best performance in the film as J. Jonah Jamason. When he appeared on screen things lite up even more and he was on fire making everyone in the audience laugh and myself nearly p** my pants. Harris as Aunt May and Robertson as Uncle Ben were excellent choices and gave the film a great deal of its credibility and finesse. Letting what happens to Ben and Peter (I am not telling) was wonderful and the best punctuation to what makes Peter do what he does and brings complete credibility to the story. I am not a huge Dunst fan, but she was just fine as the love of Peter Parker's life and a person much like Peter only neither was conscious of the fact. This to me is a more real version of "true love".

The script was far stronger than I expected with some wonderful dialog; verbal exchanges, solid plot points and pacing. Many a good parenting lesson can be found in this film as well as interesting thoughts about the choices that we make in life that we might think are no big deal when in the heat of passion, but may well come back to haunt us if we don't think before we act/speak: which is the trust of the film in my humble opinion.

The direction from Raimi was also much better than I anticipated coming from someone who is known (and loved) for his over the top camp and action. Many of the fight and action sequences where more "over done" than I like, but they were solid and much like a comic of the Silver Age from whence the story comes so it fit the film fine. Nice cinematography without the CGI taking over and detracting from the realism, in fact it made much of the web swinging truly believable. A few points made things a bit hard to "believe", but over all I think most folks will be able to suspend their disbelief.

Danny Elfman. Need I say more? He is the man when it comes to "super hero" music and is the closest thing to John Willams and the late great Bernard Herman there is today. He subtly sets the mood and most of the audience probably doesn't even realize it. Tomorrow is my day off and I will be purchasing the score to add to my collection
jamrcla
November 18, 2017
A Brilliant Spider-Man film that really paved the way for so many Superhero films, It's got some great and fun action scenes and the effects are still pretty good, The acting and dialogue were both pretty corny but it helped the film feel more lighter, Tobey Maguire was a good Peter/Spider-Man he's a lovable geek who has just as much heart as muscle, Willem Dafoe was brilliant and really sold the Green Goblin very well with a creepy and sometimes cheesy performance, It's fun and entertaining for all the family.
½ November 14, 2017
While most of it does already seem dated when compared to modern-day superhero flicks, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man gives the wall-crawler a strong first outing with good characters, a strong heartfelt narrative and well done action.

3.5/5 stars
½ November 7, 2017
Fun, entertaining, and well-acted and directed, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is a fantastic movie. Tobey Maguire is incredible as both Peter and Spider-Man, and his performance is second only to Tom Holland. Willem Dafoe is amazing as Norman Osborn, and JK Simmons is literally PERFECT as J. Jonah Jameson.