Spider-Man 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 2 Reviews

Page 1 of 2055
January 15, 2018
Many people say that Spider-Man 2 is the best Spider-Man movie to date. And, you know what I say to that? I agree. This movie deserves a much higher score than 7.3 on IMDb. Since you'll find many people who'll commend this movie for its awesomeness, it makes you wonder why the score is exactly the same as the first film. This movie has a lot more entertainment value than Homecoming. And no, I'm not saying Homecoming's bad. I'm not expecting it to reach the heights of The Dark Knight but come on, man. Now that I've finished my little rant about the undeservedly lower-than-expected IMDb score for this movie: let's get to the actual review. The special effects are absolutely amazing. A mix of CGI, practical effects and puppets and it still stands the test of time. I felt like I was on an amusement park ride everytime we got to see Spider-Man in action. The action sequences are also a blast and not just the train one that everyone frickin' loves for good reason. It almost felt as if I was really there, kind of like 3D movies that still look awesome even in 2D. After all, this movie does offer the pleasure of Aunt May turning out to be a hidden badass. Well, it only occurs once but it is hilarious to see an old woman have Doc Ock retreat by smacking him with an umbrella. Action and effects aside, there's also an intriguing story. It's about the difficulties of growing up, the natural estrangement that comes from it, the responsibilities of heroism and the consequences brought upon you by your own talents. While Spider-Man is at the top, Peter Parker is at the bottom. And we really connect with him even when Tobey Maguire has his laughably bad moments. Don't worry, there aren't enough to reduce that 5-star rating to 4. Don't forget the comedy. If you see 2.1, you'll get the gut-busting vision of J. Jonah Jameson dressing up as Spider-Man. Midlife crises, amirite? Doc Ock is worthy of the adjective the critics consensus describes him as. And it all ends on a mostly happy note as Peter finally earns his happy ending...at least till the third movie came out. I haven't seen the third one in years so I'll have to see what all the fuss is about on that one. Spider-Man 2 is one of the most awesome superhero movies to date and probably the best Marvel movie to date outside of the MCU and the X-Men franchise.
January 13, 2018
Great follow up to Spider-Man. Most of the same high points and hiccups of the first, but a better story and action scenes. Felt funnier than the first movie and everyone felt more comfortable in their roles.
January 12, 2018
Better than the first one
½ January 6, 2018
Better than the first, with a more relatable villain and deeper character piece on Peter and the struggles of being a superhero with a secret identity. Easily the best Spider-Man movie ever made (Homecoming is the latest Spidey film out as of this writing) and one of the best superhero films ever.
½ January 4, 2018
It's everything a sequel should be. The action is better,it utilises the fact that the characters have already been developed and improved some of the flaws with the first film (it's tone)
The film really makes you feel for Peter Parker;because Peter has become spider-man it has really effected his life as Peter Parker,His grades "are steadily declining" he can't keep a job,all his friendships are crumbling and he's exhausted
The journey of him deciding whether it's a good idea carrying on being spider-man, is incredible. He does stuff like,lose his powers the same way he learnt them (by climbing up a wall in an alleyway)
because he stopped being spider-man it made the final fight even more satisfying
the train fight is one of the best action scenes in all films;the battle has both spider-man and doctor octopus fully utilise their powers
The villain wasn't the best in my opinion. Their was just nothing menacing about him and I never felt like he was the good guy-so either way you look at it,he's not that great of a villain. Also him talking to his arms was just silly to me. Albeit he's not a bad villain,like iron monger was,however,he's not a great villain like Heath Ledger's joker was
There are some story flaws as well,such as:
spider-man's loss of powers not being explained
why would doc ock need money?
and the pacing was a little slow
overall-it improves where the first film succeeded,it fixed what the first film failed in;it's the perfect sequel
as a grade:A
January 3, 2018
With a fantastic villain, great character depth and amazing action, this is one of the best superhero films of all time with an incredible villain.
December 28, 2017
Good idea's executed poorly by Raimi. This movie didn't do much for me.
½ December 26, 2017
Better than the previous film. I enjoyed the horror scene in the middle. The love story was satisfying. A must see for fans of this genre.
½ December 22, 2017
Near perfect superhero movie. Fantastic action, an emotional pay off and a fantastic villain. Not just the best Spiderman movie but arguably still Marvel's best movie...
½ December 20, 2017
One of the best superhero movies of all time. It tells an extremely relateable story, and puts a superhero twist on it. Tried-and-true tropes make this film enjoyable, but a little bit cliche.
December 19, 2017
What can I say, it's the best Spider-Man movie of all time. It's the best superhero movie of all time and for me personally, the best movie of all time. I can watch this over and over again. The way the plot is structured and the emotion that the characters carry throughout the story is really interesting. And the thing that makes this movie stand out from the rest of the franchise, is that it's a movie about Peter Parker, NOT Spider-Man
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Una secuela mejor que su predecesora, con enigmáticos personajes, una historia profunda y excitante a la vez. un hito en el cine de superhéroes.
½ December 17, 2017
Toby McGuire makes such a great return. Great awesome movie. Better than the first one.
December 11, 2017
There's no Spider-Man movie that can beat this one ao far.
December 9, 2017
Sincerity and stupidity of following a comic book couldn't be fairly more legit than a quickly paced sequel that balances its main elements delightfully or accurately, a simple but powerful impact overall.
November 30, 2017
Spider-Man 2 is one my favorite Superhero movies of all time and its also one of the first superhero movies I saw in theaters when it first came out and for that reason alone out of many this movie holds a special place in my heart
½ November 25, 2017
Really good Spidey movie!
½ November 24, 2017
With a better villain, more intriguing character development, and a bit of comedy, this sequel does everything it can to work
½ November 23, 2017
Not as good as the first, but still mind blowing.
November 21, 2017
better action,better humor,better story,better supervillain. everything is just better and that what makes this movie great.
Page 1 of 2055