Spider-Man 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 2 Reviews

Page 1 of 2053
July 25, 2017
If the first Spider-Man gave use and the superhero genre the shot of adrenaline of action and humor, the second one shows the right amount of entertainment, this time with much more emotion. First feeling the burden of balancing the hero and the man, then realizing what you lose when you stop filling one void to fill one of your own. Tobey Maguire's performance carries that weight well, while James Franco and Alfred Molina play characters driven mad, but giving as much depth a series of comic books achieve. And the best part is that these characters are given a chance in spectacular action sequences with capable hands. Despite ramping up tension and the drama is more fleshed out, there's still more humor to stay the course its predecessor left off on. The legacy that Sam Raimi and the original Spider-Man movies have paved prove that not even the future can rewrite how close to perfect our heroes were the first time.
½ July 24, 2017
Probably the best spider-man movie there is overall. Doc Oc was done really well as was the relationship between MJ and Peter Parker. One of the only flaws that I had with the movie is some dated CGI that dumb inhibitor chip in Doc OC's suit. Thought they could made a better reason why he becomes the villain. Overall, a great movie.
July 24, 2017
My favorite in the Spider-Man series. Love this movie.
½ July 24, 2017
The first film to really explore the consequences of being a superhero, it restricts the study entirely to the personal rather than social effects, but this is entirely fitting for the character. The amount of bad luck that falls on our hero does get rather ridiculous and the contrivances to keep him apart from his love interest are contrived to the point of taking one out of the experience. What saves things is the third act, one of the best in the genre, which uses action in myriad clever technical ways and compliments the story and emotions rather than getting in the way of them.
July 23, 2017
So after the massive success of the first film and fears about a low budget horror director taking the helm put to rest, amongst other things, we get the obligatory sequel. A second chance for another Spider-Man thriller with better effects, better sets, better costumes, better CGI...better everything, but still just a tad exactly the same as the first film.

Two years on and Parker is trying to cope with his daily grind, his love for Mary Jane and of course being Spidey. Ah but wait, Peter Parker let me introduce the rather stocky Dr. Octavius and his obvious pending disaster he calls a self-sustaining fusion reaction (which he handles with large mechanical, artificially intelligent tentacles attached to his nervous system through a special chip). Before you can say 'my Spidey sense is tingling' it all goes tits up as the experiment goes, errr...tits up! A power surge disrupts the spinal chip that controls Octavius's mechanical tentacles making them sentient, which in turn start to influence Octavius. And voila! the Doc becomes a dastardly baddie hell bent on...umm doing his experiment all over again for some reason.

Yep the introduction of Alfred Molina was yet another brilliant bit of casting as his performance as the calm methodical Doc Ock (along with his perfect build and looks) save the film from becoming rather mundane. Just like the first film the villain is the winning ticket and gives this adventure a shot in the arm which is so clearly required. Now I'm not saying this film was bad but the strangest thing...back in the day I always preferred this film over the original, but now the tables have turned and I find myself enjoying the original much more. I think the problem with this film is it really starts to lose its sense of semi realism and my suspension of disbelief goes right out the window.

Although that being said, the sequence where doctors attempt to remove Octavius's mechanical arms from his body is actually pretty heavy on the horror factor. With the arms developing sentience they take out all the doctors in a pretty ferocious manner, its pretty dark. Raimi clearly has fun here and even manages to include a little chainsaw homage.

Now I always thought Spider-Man was merely a regular guy with extra strength, speed, endurance and jumping ability, along with the few special skills of being able to climb walls and shoot gooey web stuff. But he was still able to get hurt, cut, bleed and generally die. In this film Spider-Man is virtually invincible and practically as strong as the Hulk or Superman so it seems. I mean really...he's falling from massive heights and slamming into walls and cars, he can hold up huge metal structures, lift incredible weights and stop a runaway train with his gooey web stuff and arms! Was Spider-Man always this powerful??

There are also some really silly hokey issues dotted throughout that bugged me. Doc Ock hides out in the one and only run down shack in the middle of the harbour and it stands out like a sore thumb, no one ever thought of looking there? Even when the lights were on? When Doc Ock robs the bank no one notices him just standing there right next to the vault door in his long trench coat, hat and shades looking pretty suspicious. Oh and how do you hide four giant mechanical arms under a coat? Why does the Doc go from being a decent human being into someone who would kill innocent people? I realise the tentacles are influencing him slowly but would he really kill people? Plus when the Doc goes to see Osborn for the tritium why didn't he just force Osborn to hand it over instead of agreeing to get Spider-Man in exchange for it, surely that would have been easier and saved time.

How does the Doc get all that expensive equipment? I know he pinched some cash from the bank but that wouldn't cover it. Plus how was it delivered?! Didn't anyone notice all this stuff being delivered to this abandoned building in the harbour where no one goes or lives? Didn't anyone think it was odd or suspicious? And what on earth was his experiment about?? What was it for? What would it do? It just felt like an outrageously diabolical device just for the sake of being a diabolical device. If he managed to finish it then what? Would he become a good guy again? All he wanted to do was finish the experiment so its not like he was trying to do anything bad, and the experiment was suppose to be for the good of mankind right? Maybe let him do his stuff?

The special effects in the film were an improvement over the first film but again looking back they still look a bit dated. Seeing Spider-Man swing through the city (but what the hell is he attached too?? its hilarious!) is looking much better but most of the shots were we see Doc Ock walking along via his four mechanical arms are really bad at times. The entire runaway subway train sequence is really dodgy looking nowadays, the fight on top of the train and seeing the Doc throw those obviously bad CGI people from the train...blimey its bad!

So yes the action is bigger louder and more impressive than the first film but the CGI effects are way more obvious to me, far more hokey looking. Close up shots of Doc Ock and his arms are fantastic, the way the arms lift him up, the way the arms look...all brilliant, but the bad outweighs the good I'm afraid. There is so much dodgy CGI and bluescreen work in here, the sequence where Parker rescues the little girl from the burning building, rescuing May Parker from the Doc halfway up a skyscraper made me cringe especially, the car being chucked through the cafe window etc...

Oh and why does Parker seemingly lose his Spidey powers halfway through yet gains them back again from nowhere? I realise Parker goes through something of a mental breakdown what with everything going wrong in his life, but would that cause his spidey powers to disappear? Would he really lose his abilities through sheer depression and anxiety?

Surprisingly I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would...and I'm honesty being honest here. Molina is superb as Doc Ock and the action is deserving of kudos for the ambition, but visually it lacks quality in my opinion and there are lots more silly niggly bits that stand out to me. This sequel definitely felt more along the lines of a Schumacher Batman flick at times, its reasonable fun but the original still easily surpasses it.
July 22, 2017
my favourite of the tobey maguire spiderman trilogy
½ July 22, 2017
i can't believe i haven't reviewed this one yet. Spider-Man 2 is a brilliant sequel that beats the original by a landslide. Alfred Molina's doc ock was by far the best villain in the trilogy. not only is his chemistry with peter magnificent but he was a very tragic character that alone makes this one better the only problem is that i didn't like how harry started acting hostile towards peter but i can get over it because everything else is great.
½ July 22, 2017
An in-depth character study and another reason to love Spider-Man.

Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is attempting to juggle college classes and his job as a photographer with the Daily Bugle while maintaining his secret life as costumed crime-fighter Spider-Man.

After an ok start, this sequel to the original "Spider-Man" was not only significantly better, but probably one of the better superhero films to this date.

One thing I really enjoyed about this film was the deep character study and all of the internal conflict happening with each character. Peter Parker tries to still live the crime fighting life as the famous Spider-Man, while simultaneously juggling college, money, relationships, and his love life. I love seeing this more darker take on a superhero. He doesn't live a glorious lifestyle, nor is everything smooth flowing. He's a regular person like all of us and if anything, have the powers that he has is just more of a difficulty. Mary Jane struggles with her shows and her relationships but if anything, I disliked her character. Her love for Peter kind of made her character less likable with the actions she took. Harry is still trying to deal with the loss of his Father, Aunt May has financial issues, and more. This films gives us more reason to care and relate to these characters at hand, making it much more memorable.

Doc Ock was also one of the better comic book villains we've seen, even until this day. He wasn't necessarily an evil guy with some evil agenda, rather, he was an everyday guy who wanted to do better for everyone and suffered at his own hand. He was a villain we could relate to and want to fight against, being a perfect adversary for Spider-Man. The simplicity of his 'costume' was what I liked most about him. It was a simple outfit with four extra arms. The film wasn't a CGI overload fest with a ridiculous looking villain, which is something I really appreciate.

The real thing that makes this film stand out to me is the execution and direction of the story. There are plenty of well written moments in this film that are well executed. The story is filled with conflict and compromise and it all meshes together excellently. It's emotional and action packed, with fantastic visuals that hold up even till this date. This is easily one of the best Spider-Man films to date, surpassing most other superhero films even 13 years later.

In the end, this was and still is the best film in Raimi's trilogy, making it a must watch and a must see.
½ July 20, 2017
Spider man 2 is pretty great, it is the best spider man movie and it is one of the best marvel movies, it's exiting, entertaining, it's funny in the right places, but it's such a great movie hell it even got an oscar, this was the first marvel movie that won an oscar which is impressive. This is just such a great movie with so much heart.
July 20, 2017
The best superhero film made. the perfect sequel, the best. Spider-Man 2 is fantastic.
July 20, 2017
Amazing follow-up to its already impressive predecessor.
July 19, 2017
It's hard not to sucked into this film. Its full of colorful characters, tons of action, and a story that has a lot of heart. "Spider-Man 2" is just a fun comic book flick, plain and simple and one of the best sequels out there.
July 18, 2017
It's hard to pull off a good sequel but director Ron Raimi took on the challenge and did a decent job although there where a few similarities between the two movies along with a cliché origin story this movie makes up for it with Doctor Oto Octavious's well acted part and menacing scheme and a well written conclusion along with funnier dialogue this sequel does not disappoint
July 18, 2017
Probably the best super hero movie ever made and the best Spider man movie ever made!
½ July 17, 2017
Pulling off the same amount of style and action with even great narrative depth, "Spider-Man 2" is exceedingly more impressive than its predecessor.
July 16, 2017
Revisited this after watching the latest version (2017's Homecoming with Tom Holland). Spider-man 2 from 2004 is still the definitive Spiderman movie, packed with emotional roller coaster ride as Peter Parker struggles with what it's like being a penniless student who also happens to be a super hero, while being the same person at the core struggling with guilt, love and friendship.

And Alfred Molina's portrayal of Doctor Octavius is perfect.
July 16, 2017
I still don't like Tobey as Peter:Spider-Man too much and in this movie it's starts to show that's he's not really fit for this role. He doesn't crack jokes as while wearing the suit and he just doesn't feel like Peter to me. Doctor Octopus was fantastic and perfectly portrayed and added to the film although the story wasn't too great. 4/5
July 15, 2017
It's the best of the trilogy, but I still find the Spiderman franchise and character to be highly overrated. Still, this is a very good movie.
July 15, 2017
Before seeing Spider Man: Homecoming again, I also wanted to revisit Spider-Man 2. Now after watching Spider-Man a few days ago and seeing all the great reviews of its sequel, I was ready for one of the best superhero experiences of all time, and - it was one of the most good superhero experiences of all time. It wasn't nearly as much as I would have expected. I'll say it right off the bat, despite popular belief - the first one is better.
I'm not saying this one isn't good. One of my favorite things about this movie was the performances. Tobey Maguire gives a typical dedicated and very realistic shot at the Spider-Man character. And this movie has a lot more emotional depth to go off of. Kirsten Dunst also does great, again. J.K. Simmons performance is also hilarious as usual. The best performance, however, is Alfred Molina as Doc Oc. He really gives a great interpretation of the villain. His villian is better than the Green Goblin. This movie is also technically impressive as you would expect from the second film. However, I do have one complaint: while the action itself is impressive and unique for its time, some of it felt a little unimportant. Other than the final battle, it seems like most action starts with Doc Oc showing up, then Spider-Man starts beating them up until one of them leaves.
Director Sam Reimi once again does an amazing job capturing a unique and amazing feel for these movies. Another one of my favorite things about this movie was the script. I forgot to mention this in my review of Spider-Man, but these movies are essentially the Peter Parker show. It's about his life and struggles. And instead of it being about Spider-Man being Spider-Man, it's about how being Spider-Man affects Peter's life. This is something modern superhero movies sometimes neglect to capture, and this movie certainly does it well. However, while the first movie really felt like a whole movie experience, this one kind of flew by for me. Like I said before, some of the action felt like it just happened and stopped happening, and I wish the scriptwriter did a better job of making the experience more exciting. While the ending scene does the same, it actually makes since, it gives more narrative focus to Peter and Doc Oc, and is certainly a satisfying conclusion.
Overall, Spider-Man 2 has lots of narrative focus and heartfelt story, as well as web-swinging action and visual effects as impressive as you would expect, which are certainly enough to make up for the occasional come-and-go feel.
July 14, 2017
Spider-Man 2 fixed all of the problems that the first one had in an incredibly fresh way.
Page 1 of 2053