Spider-Man 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 2 Reviews

Page 1 of 2056
½ April 12, 2018
sam raimi has the sophistication as well as the accessibility, panache and shrewd judgment of directing an exciting blockbuster. it's emotionally raw and much deeper than the dynamic action sequences suggest. 'spider-man 2' is a great sequel, telling a story about 'doing what's right, even if it means giving up your dreams.'
½ April 2, 2018
This was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. It is definitely the best movie in the Toby Maguire Spider-Man Trilogy.
March 28, 2018
After the first Spider-Man, which I thought for its time was a pretty decent effort, we are then treated to a 2nd dose of Tobey Maguire as the Web slinging hero! It had been around 2 years since the events of the first film unfolded and we see Peter Parker trying to balance the stresses of everyday life from taking college classes, working as a photojournalist at the Bugle, and of course not to mention saving the world as Spiderman. Mary Jane has become a successful model and about to star in her first Broadway show. Yet Parker still keeps her at a distance, seemingly fearful that a romantic involvement may put her life at risk. Balancing these issues starts to affect Parker and he is having some difficulty with his powers too.

Meanwhile Harry Osborn is now running his father old company in which he has invested heavily in a promising new scientist named Doctor Otto Octavius, When Octavius is set to unveil his life's work, utilizing a set of four arms that are injected to his back of course things go horribly wrong and hey presto we have a new supervillain. So while Parker struggles to decide the future of Spider-Man the city comes under siege from the newly renamed Doc Ock.

So as the story of Spider-Man 2 unfolds, drama is the name of the game here as we are treated to exceedingly long gaps between each action sequence. Particularly towards the middle part of the film. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting this to be all out action or anything it's just the drama gets a little too heavy at times focusing on conflicts that aren't all that compelling. I mean did anyone even think that Parker was going to abandon his powers?? Trying to create drama with that doesn't work when the outcome is so obvious!

The high point of this movie is that the strong cast remains the backbone of the series as Maguire plays a perfect Peter Parker - Say that 3 times fast! Kirsten Dunst is perfect for Mary Jane Watson. They continue to have a fluid and believable chemistry and do remain engaging to watch. The story moves slowly at times but the acting abilities of Dunst and Maguire keep things compelling enough to keep us interested, if just not fully enthralled. Of course the rest of the cast including James Franco, J.K Simmons and Rosemary Harris are strong and continue the feel of the first film.

Before I finish I just wanted to touch on the visuals of the movie as Spider-Man 2 features some dazzling scenes but i feel that the CGI is being overused. This results in a bit of a video game look, but for the most part they are tight and very nice to look at. Spiderman's movements are fluid and graceful even when you know he's doing something there's no way a human could do!

Verdict - Minor Surgery

Spiderman 2 in my opinion is a success, but it just doesn't live up the high standards that where set by the first film. The action sequences, in particular are spectacular. Also retained is the sense of humour that the first succeeded so well with. But with a few tweaks to the long periods of drama and without the first film i think Spiderman 2 could hold its own if it was released as a standalone film.

Andy
½ March 27, 2018
Spider-Man 2 is the quintessential movie that defines the meaning and belonging of the superheroic badge. It has a lot of everything that a good film of the genre should possess, sharing between the comedy, the drama, the dialogic depth and an inevitable essence of action. It is almost a Masterpiece that involves us in the responsibilities of being a hero and instills valuable learning that truly reaches the heart.
March 27, 2018
IMPORTANTLY A GREAT A MOVIE OF THE TIME
March 25, 2018
They don't make superhero movies like this anymore.
½ March 22, 2018
Exceedingly better than the first film and Tobey Maguire is finally learning how to be a great Spider - Man. Unlike most sequels, Spider - Man 2 is a lot better than it's predecessor.
March 19, 2018
A lot of excellent drama, a terrific story, and a up and away villain make this the best movie in the Spider-Man series, but not the best "Spider-Man movie" if you know what I mean.
March 10, 2018
Toby McGuire makes such a great return. Great awesome movie. Better than the first one.
March 10, 2018
Que es ser superheroe? Que es lo que se sacrifica pero a la vez que es lo que se gana? Spider-Man 2 es una pelicula que tiene todo lo que necesita para ser una pelicula muy memorable.
March 5, 2018
Spider-Man 2 takes everything that made the original good, but improves upon it with much deeper emotions. The movie also expanded upon Spider-Man, making him having family and friends problems, add Alfred Molina's zanny supervillain, Doctor Octopus, and some great visuals and action and you get this worthy sequel.
March 4, 2018
Love this!
My third favourite comic book film still atm. I find it hilarious throughout, with some great action and a great villain. No complaints about this one.
½ March 4, 2018
If the first Spider-Man gave use and the superhero genre the shot of adrenaline of action and humor, the second one shows the right amount of entertainment, this time with much more emotion. First feeling the burden of balancing the hero and the man, then realizing what you lose when you stop filling one void to fill one of your own. Tobey Maguire's performance carries that weight well, while James Franco and Alfred Molina play characters driven mad, but giving as much depth a series of comic books achieve. And the best part is that these characters are given a chance in spectacular action sequences with capable hands. Despite ramping up tension and the drama is more fleshed out, there's still more humor to stay the course its predecessor left off on. The legacy that Sam Raimi and the original Spider-Man movies have paved prove that not even the future can rewrite how close to perfect our heroes were the first time.
March 3, 2018
Best spiderman movie ever
½ February 27, 2018
85/100

"Spider-Man 2" resulta ser una notable mejora de su antecesora, que era ya de por si buena, gracias (de nuevo) al buen hacer de su director, sus actores (magnífico Alfred Molina como el Dr. Octopus) y su guion, y que se ve tremedamente potenciada por unos magnificos efectos especiales, que la hacen tan excitante como emocional, y que por supuesta deja la más memorable aventura del arácnido en el cine, y una de las mejores del cine de Superhéroes.
½ February 23, 2018
The best of the trilogy by far. Very much enjoyed it.
½ February 23, 2018
The best of the Sam Raimi trilogy.
½ February 18, 2018
Starts with a similar style to its predecessor, but soon turns into something much more by producing an original story that delves far deeper into how the characters really think.
½ February 6, 2018