Spider-Man 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 2 Reviews

Page 1 of 2054
½ September 16, 2017
Best Spider-Man movie I've ever seen...I mean, who could've done better than Alfred Molina as Doc Ock? But this movie has a burning building scene and Mary Jane Watson gets kidnapped this time by Doc Ock instead of the Green Goblin. But the train scene is wicked and there's great development to the characters.
September 8, 2017
without doubt is a masterpiece, completely improves upon its predecessor, with a deeper intention of heroism and responsibility, better special effects and the brilliant interpretation of Alfred Molina as Dr. octopus.
September 6, 2017
If the first Spider-Man gave use and the superhero genre the shot of adrenaline of action and humor, the second one shows the right amount of entertainment, this time with much more emotion. First feeling the burden of balancing the hero and the man, then realizing what you lose when you stop filling one void to fill one of your own. Tobey Maguire's performance carries that weight well, while James Franco and Alfred Molina play characters driven mad, but giving as much depth a series of comic books achieve. And the best part is that these characters are given a chance in spectacular action sequences with capable hands. Despite ramping up tension and the drama is more fleshed out, there's still more humor to stay the course its predecessor left off on. The legacy that Sam Raimi and the original Spider-Man movies have paved prove that not even the future can rewrite how close to perfect our heroes were the first time.
August 30, 2017
This movie brings the nerdlike ways of Peter Parker and the heroic like action of Spider-Man all together into one. Brilliant
½ August 29, 2017
Spiderman 2 is beyond incredible for words. Everything and everyone is beyond approved from the first film. Everyone is great but the highlight actors are Maguire and of course Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus. The action is incredible, that train scene is still amazing and almost every fight with Spiderman and Doc Ock is incredible.
August 27, 2017
Some people consider this to be the best Spider-Man movie, but I think that Homecoming is the best one. The train fight scene is classic. Seeing James Franco is funny to me. Its raining outside. Hurricane Harvey is here, but it feels underwhelming.
½ August 25, 2017
The best Spidey film to date. Not even MCU Spidey beats this.
August 24, 2017
This second installment into the first legit live-action trilogy of the world renown superhero Spider-Man proves to be darker yet more action-packed than its predecessor.
Side note: They must've thought girls screaming uncontrollably all the time throughout the film would sell tickets (yikes)
He's is unmasked in this film in front of a subway car full of people as well as in front of Harry Osborne (who wants to kill Spider-Man due to his guiltiness of "murdering" his father Norman) and even his love interest MJ. In the end of the movie there is a villain redemption as Doc Ock states he does not want to die a monster and takes control back over his body and the mechanical arms that were controlling him. The tension between Harry and Spider-Man increases and is presented heavily at the end of the film (even with Harry's knowledge that his best friend Peter Parker is the Spider-Man) as Harry is confronted by a cognitive image of his vengeful father and discovers the secret layer of the Green Goblin (very much giving the audience a taste of the next film). Overall, a great prequel to the life, love, and conflicts of our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

Stan Lee once again appears in the film as a man who saves someone's life from destruction caused by Doc Ock.

"I believe theres a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble. And finally gets us to die with pride. Even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want most, even our dreams." -May Parker
August 14, 2017
Another good one! The first one is the best but this one's really good too. Same cast. More epic Spiderman shots down the city. But boy does it take forever for Spiderman to be saved by his girl. Finally it happens! Worth the wait. Great bad guy too.
August 11, 2017
This is my favourite iteration of Spider-Man, no doubt. Sam Raimi's direction really shines in this film, serving a perfect mix of well-executed action sequences, tense horror-esque scenes akin to Raimi's Evil Dead series, and a fair amount of heartfelt cheesiness.
½ August 11, 2017
Spider-man 2 (2004) - brings back everything we loved about the first movie while also including some deeper themes and more challenges for our hero to face.
The Story still manages to keep the same over the top action packed campiness like before but it also incorporates some very interesting subjects that are very thought provoking and deeply meaningful. They really let all the emotions sink in when needed and many of those scenes help develop Peter's character. When it's not being Dramatic it can be comically funny and action packed and It really helps balance out the tone so the movie doesn't become too depressing. The only thing that kept bugging me from time to time was when Peter Parker and Mary Jane are arguing with each other. I'll admit, I did feel kinda uncomfortable when they did the engaged to someone else because of reasons plot, but thankfully they make those scenes short and they keep more of the focus on Peter's struggles and the action packed moments.
The characters still maintain the likable charm while also being given more depth to make them more interesting than ever. Spider-Man (AKA Peter Parker) has to face new challenges with living a double life of being Spider-man or not being Spider-man. I really like how well they establish how his difficulties of living in a double life as well as his struggle to keep his powers alive. Mary Jane gets a little more of a character arc than the last time and while I do think sometimes she can be sort of sour to Peter I can still understand why she feels the way she does. Dr Octopus is an awesome villain and he practically steals the show for me anytime he's on screen. Not only is his performance so fun to watch but he actually does have very human emotions sometimes. other characters like Aunt may don't have too big of a role but they do make different impacts on Peter's character at different points of the movie
The cinematography still keeps the same comic book style as before while also experimenting more with the action and the use of CGI effects. Like before, we get some pretty shots of New York city and some more Spider Man swinging around the place. The effects that caught my attention were Dr Octo's Robo tentacles. The way they move is so mesmerizing and anytime the movie kicks into high gear action the tentacles can do some really awesome stuff. Speaking of which, the action is even better than before and it goes further with showing off some pretty immersive effects and a lot of edge of your seat madness. Sometimes the CGI can look a little fake but everything else is done so well that you don't even care.
The music is once again helmed by Danny Elfman. I don't know if I can say too much about the score because it's basically the same as last time but I will say that it helps keep to the tone of being action packed or down to earth when needed.
This movie may just be better than the first Spiderman. Sure it does have a couple scenes that were kinda mean spirited to sit through, but in the end it really is worth it thanks to the the great action sequences and thought provoking story arc of Peter's struggle. It's definitely the best in the trilogy so far and when it comes to superhero films it is definitely up there with the greats.(A)
August 5, 2017
Unlike other superhero movies this movie actually has a spirit. The colors, the progress in characters, and its iconic scenes even made without CGI it might be the best superhero movie.
½ August 3, 2017
For Spider-Man 2, the writers took the first Spider-Man and made it ten times better. This is one of those cases where the sequel is better than the original. With Peter Parker trying to be in college, have a job, and keep Spider-Man a secret. He also is losing the relationships of his closest friends. So he quits being Spider-Man. But there's still the evil Dr. Octopus roaming around the city after a science experiment gone bad. All in all, Spider-Man 2 improves on its original in almost every way. 4.5/5
August 1, 2017
This one had to be the best Toby Maguire Spiderman by far.
August 1, 2017
Toby McGuire makes such a great return. Great awesome movie. Better than the first one.
½ August 1, 2017
Sincere emotion, incredible effects and great performances (particularly Alfred Molina as Dr. Octopus) make Raimi's Spider-Man 2 one of the best super hero sequels and one of the best in the genre.
July 28, 2017
Great Movie Balancing between Peter and Spider-man making a great movie with some of the best superhero movie scenes
½ July 24, 2017
Probably the best spider-man movie there is overall. Doc Oc was done really well as was the relationship between MJ and Peter Parker. One of the only flaws that I had with the movie is some dated CGI that dumb inhibitor chip in Doc OC's suit. Thought they could made a better reason why he becomes the villain. Overall, a great movie.
July 24, 2017
My favorite in the Spider-Man series. Love this movie.
Page 1 of 2054