Spider-Man 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider-Man 2 Reviews

Page 1 of 2049
December 7, 2016
A solid movie, and not just as a superhero film, but as a very personal "human" drama. What makes this movie so good is the character of Peter Parker and what he's going through as a person. A lot of time it didn't even feel like an action superhero movie. Even though some parts seem like they didn't age too well and others looked like a video game, it does much more right than wrong.
½ December 7, 2016
Spider-Man 2 has a lot of the same positives and negatives that the first movie had, so I'll just quickly summarize them. The actor playing the villain is great again, JK Simmons is amazing, and Kirsten Dunst is solid as well. On the flip side Tobey Maguire and James Franco are almost unwatchable for me. The Spider-Man costume looks great, at least as long as they kept it on him. The CGI is dated and extremely noticeable.

The big difference, and why I liked this movie less than the first movie, is the plot/script. It's such a mess. Character motivations are virtually nonexistent, things happen with literally no explanation, and characters behave in utterly illogical ways. I could list several moments where the story frustrated me with pointless subplots and ridiculous story conveniences, but I'll save you the ranting. The dialogue is also horrible in certain places. There were so many moments while watching this movie (both the first time and now) that I stared at the screen with a look of total befuddlement, wondering how they could screw up such an awesome character this much.

I can't be 100% critical of Spider-Man 2, because it had a few moments that worked. The train sequence was almost great, if he would have just kept the mask on. Aunt May's heart-to-heart conversations with Peter were awesome. Basically every scene in the Daily Bugle was nearly perfect. It's frustrating because I want to love this film and I'm dying to love this superhero again, but every time I see or hear Tobey Maguire behind the mask I get annoyed.
November 30, 2016
I don't remember much about this one, but I have to admit what I do remember of it, was a damn good sequel! The guy playing Doc Ock, was great and memorable and the action scenes got even better!!
November 22, 2016
I really like the movie, Amazing
November 15, 2016
much better than both the amazing spiderman 1 and 2. Period.
November 6, 2016
Best Spider-Man movie of all time. End of discussion
November 5, 2016
One of the best super-hero films ever.
October 28, 2016
It's a crying shame we haven't gotten a Spiderman movie as great as this one recently. This film made us realize that being a superhero may not be a life we all want, making it a new experience for film goers. Bravo Tobey.
½ October 27, 2016
I have never felt so connected to one of my all time favorite superheroes. Sam Raimi's sequel to the first "Spider-Man" is a mesmerizing experience. It's also deeper and darker than the last one, which I like. A LOT. When I first saw the sequel back when I was a sophomore in high school, I didn't get it. I felt the movie spent too much time grieving over Peter Parker's late uncle, Ben Parker. But now, many years later since it's release, and much older and wiser than I was then, I can honestly say that this is the best Spider-Man to date. Having not seen the reboots with Andrew Garfield, who is now in Mel Gibson's "Hacksaw Ridge," which got a HUGE standing ovation for it's director at the Cannes Film Festival this year, and comes out November 4th, so MARK IT DOWN! But not having seen the reboots yet, because let's be honest...how many damn reboots of a franchise can Hollywood possibly do? I know it's a stupid question on it's own. The answer is anything that can draw in money. THOSE GREEDY BASTARDS! But seriously, after watching this one, I'm thinking about giving it a try as soon as possible. But let's stick the topic of discussion. Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man 2" is absolutely sensational on all levels. No director is better equip at handling the Spider-Man universe than Sam Raimi himself. It's as if we are seeing Spider-Man through his eyes, after all he is the director. It's his vision we are seeing like nothing else. The effects I must say are a work of art. There is not one moment even though it's obvious they are using CGI enhancements to show Spidey swinging around New York City with his web, they effects department does a terrific job at making it look absolutely real the whole time you are watching it. It also reminds me how far we have come in the digital era, even now after James Cameron's epic visionary "Avatar." But I find as long as it's done right, I have no argument there. It's when you can in an instant I find myself wanting my money back, or if I'm home I change the channel. Because I got no time for fake movie making, sorry. Even though people might argue that "Avatar" is mostly digital and they would be a hundred percent right, but what Cameron achieved was nothing short of brilliant. After all, he used performance capture, so what we are seeing is really the actors portraying the Na'Vi, so in some ways it's a lot different than just recreating something on a computer and throwing it into the movie the sake of doing it. BUT! Back to the movie. Tobey Maguire does an absolutely solid job in the title role of Spider-Man/Peter Parker. It's his role of a lifetime and he completely owns the character from beginning to end. What impressed me most watching it a second time around is the comic relief that keeps getting thrown at ya unexpectedly in this sequel. There really are some laugh out loud moments that I even found myself laughing at because it was done so well! There's a hilarious scene in the middle of the movie where Peter Parker is finally confronting his demons that have made his Spidey powers weaker, and after he finally thinks he has confronted them, he jumps off a rooftop somewhere in New York City to prove to himself he still is Spider-Man. Unfortunately, as it is in life, he don't always get back on our feet the moment we feel like it after confronting some personal demons. It takes time. It's like Michael Caine said to Christian Bale after Bruce Wayne gets back on his feet and is still a little rusty after Selina Kyle robs him of his car keys, and steals his car that he says to him at that moment just as Bale gets in the Rolls Royce that Alfred says to Bruce Wayne "Just you, sir? Don't worry master Wayne. It takes a little time to get back into the swing of things." And he's absolutely right, because in that moment Peter Parker finds himself jumping high into the air off a rooftop as if he has maintained hi full powers again as Spider-Man....but then all of a sudden he finds himself falling to his doom. Fortunately, the strings of laundry that happen to be hanging outside the New York apartments, just stop Peter Parker from completely falling to his death. Only to smash into a brick wall and then fall on top of a parked car and then if that ain't enough, he falls off it landing on the ground and hitting into another one, which we see at that moment that he has fallen into an alley lot of parked cars. But that's not the end of it, just as he is getting back on his feet he is suddenly stopped by excruciating pain in his back. And it's then that we see Peter Parker rising like an 80 year old going "My back! My back..." I'm not gonna lie, that scene almost had me roaring. And for anyone who has ever had to deal with anyone in their lives who constantly complains about bad back problems, will know exactly what I mean about almost roaring out of my chair. The rest of the movie plays out fairly well, we get great introduction to Doctor Octavius, who we all know eventually becomes the famous Doc Ock, played brilliantly by Alfred Molina, who is also just perfect for the part. Kirsten Dunst does a fabulous job as Peter Parker's love interest Mary Jane Watson. James Franco actually pulls through and delivers a pretty good, but somewhat over dramatic Harry Osbourne. The son of Willem DaFoe from the first one, who is still hell bent on seeking revenge against Spider-Man for he believes he killed his father. J.K. Simmons is absolutely just fantastic as always as the Senior news editor for the paper, who is determined to bring down Spider-Man because he's a menace. Got to love it. And then there's Rosemary Harris, who is absolutely great as Peter Parker's loving aunt and widower now, Aunt May. She's the emotional balance through this movie and should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress by the Academy, as she really does come through the most out of the whole cast in this movie as she still grieves for her murdered husband. The one thing I admired the most about the second film in the Sam Raimi trilogy, and the reason I felt so connected to Peter Parker in this one alone, is because Peter Parker s struggling to make ends meet now that he is in the young adult phase of his life. Struggling to keep a job. Having little to no money at all. Battling his guilt over what happened to his Uncle Ben and that he could have stopped the murder from taking place as we saw in the first one. Having trouble telling the woman that he loves why he can't truly be with her the way he wants to be. It's all true to life scenarios that we all go through at some point in our lives, but because I'm a struggling screenwriter living on little to no money and just coming off battling some personal demons myself, I couldn't help, but take notice how I saw a lot of myself through Peter Parker. There's a quote in the movie where Dr. Octavius says to Peter Parker right before he becomes the monster Doc Ock, that sometimes we have to give up our dreams in order to help others. At least, I think that's how it goes, I could be wrong, but the point is that no matter what happens in our lives we can never give up on ourselves. Things always have a way of working out for the best no matter what the circumstances are that are trying to bring us down in life, and that's the most important message of all in life. Never give up.
October 15, 2016
Spider man 2
Watch now
October 15, 2016
Spider-Man 2 focuses on Peter Parker mostly and I don't have a problem with that. But it only focused on the romance between MJ and him, and they have no chemistry at all and tear the movie apart.
½ October 12, 2016
not as good as the first one boring villian boring movie
½ October 10, 2016
I'm not normally a big fan of superhero movies as a rule, but this is one of the best ever. So often I find these kinds of movies to be dull with flat characters, too much action, and lazy stories. This one has perfectly written characters, just the right amount of action (which is amazing when it happens), and actually manages to make you feel something. Add in our Lord and Saviour Danny Elfman and you've got one amazing film.
October 9, 2016
Only good sequel in the franchise
October 7, 2016
Amazing movie the fight scenes are great, the way they show his struggle in live been spider man and how that affects his life as Peter Park . One of the best villains super-hero movies has.
October 6, 2016
As of 2016, this is the best Spider-Man film yet. It brings Tobey Maguire back yet again as Peter Parker, only this time it has an amazing villain, even better than Willam Defoe's Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus. This movie throws you through an emotional roller coaster as you see Peter going threw relationship problems as well as problems maintaining his powers. This movie is perfect.
September 25, 2016
We need a hero, couragous sacrificing people, setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero, people line up for 'em, cheer for them, scream their names, and years later tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who told them to HOLD ON a second longer. I believe theres a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble. And finally gets us to die with pride. Even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want most, even our dreams.
September 24, 2016
Although I've never been a fan of Spider-Man, this movie goes to prove that if the film is good enough that you can become one.
September 19, 2016
Best Spider-Man movie!! Tobey Maguire is the best Spider-Man and always will be the best Spider-Man!!
September 9, 2016
Spider-Man 2 improves upon the original with an emotional focus on story, characters, and it's incredible action sequences. Still one of the best superhero films I've ever seen.
Page 1 of 2049