Stanley Kubrick's Boxes Reviews

• Jul 22, 2015

This is a must see for any Kubrick fan... but even if you're outta sheer curiosity it is still very much interesting. Even more so than what is inside but why and the magnitude of it all...

• Dec 07, 2014

This fascinating documentary starts as almost a quirky, unique look inside Stanley Kubrick's world. As it unfolds, however, we begin to see deep into his process and come to a better understanding of who the legend was. Other documentaries (most notably, Kubrick: A Life in Pictures) delve into his works, but fail to reach the man behind them in a meaningful way. By the end of Boxes, I really felt the weight of his world and the sadness of his absence. Jon Ronson, the director of this doc, deserves great praise for his dedication (over 5 years) and skillful cutting of sound and images. There's even a look into unseen footage from the never-produced Full Metal Jacket documentary and some other rare behind the scenes tape. I'm very glad to have found this gem!

• Feb 23, 2012

This probably the best documentary on Stanley Kubrick's style and work. It explores Kubrick as a person as well the way he worked and why he worked in that way.

• Dec 17, 2011

If you fancy yourself a fan of Kubrick you'll like it and find some of the stuff very interesting. If you're not a fan then you should go jump off a building, seriously Kubrick owns and you should know about him!!

• Wu C Super Reviewer
    Nov 20, 2011

Shows how obsessive Kubrick was about research. Asides from little amount of actual footage of the man, I found it quite boring.

• Aug 19, 2011

Erittäin mielenkiintoista, mutta tässä oli kyllä toteutus vähän tylsä.

Erittäin mielenkiintoista, mutta tässä oli kyllä toteutus vähän tylsä.

• Jun 01, 2011

Enjoyable and fascinating.

Enjoyable and fascinating.

• Apr 29, 2011

A fascinating and unique look at Stanley Kubrick. This really is enthralling, I even teared up in places. A wonderful documentary.

• Dec 12, 2010

More info on Kubrick

More info on Kubrick

• Jun 20, 2010

I wanted to give this film five stars, but I had the feeling that it would mean almost nothing to someone unfamiliar with Kubrick and his films. I found the documentary utterly fascinating, going through years of materials stored in boxes, showing the obsessive lengths that Kubrick put into planning his films. From hundred of pictures of droogs in various hats to endless to fan letter catalogued by location, positive, negative, or crank, this film really sheds light on the personality of the man behind these many great films and also celebrates the degree of planning and detail that went into each project. Must see viewing for Kubrick fans.