Star Trek Into Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Into Darkness Reviews

April 15, 2018
The first time I saw this, it rubbed me the wrong way. I was disappointed in several aspects of it and I somehow let that ruin the parts of it that were actually okay. Upon seeing this again, I am much more forgiving of it. I would even say that I liked it a bit more on repeated viewings.
½ April 12, 2018
grandiose, science-fiction adventure is not just visually appealing. gripping, stylish and boasting surprisingly thoughtful dialogue, the cast is engaging and it's thoroughly enjoyable. benedict cumberbatch's calculating performance is a highlight.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
Considering I'm not the biggest Star Trek fan (I've never even seen more than 4 episodes of next generation, and 1 episode of the original series.) Not that I don't dislike the franchise, in fact I love most of the films, and I love the 2009 film, I had high hopes for this film. The things I like about the Star Trek films is that it isn't required to see the series to get what's going on. It helps, but I think its great when they make so many films based off of a series and not requiring you to see the series. That being said, lets talk about the new film.

Each of the actors reprise their roles from the past film, Chris Pine as Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Karl Urban as Bones, and so on, and each one of them are just as faithful to the original series, while adding new things to these characters as they were in the 2009 film. Both Kirk and Spock get further development in this film from the last film and it definitely shows. Pine is just as cocky as Kirk but is trying to learn to take responsibility for his actions due to him messing up at the beginning of the film, and Quinto as Spock is struggling with showing more compassion in situations and they both do fantastic, especially near the end of the film. Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, and Simon Pegg are just as funny and entertaining as Chekov, Bones, and Scotty as they were in the first film. But the two people that are the biggest highlights about the film, that being Benedict Cumberbatch as John Harrison, and Peter Weller as Admiral Marcus, and both of these guys are just amazing. Benedict Cumberbatch of Sherlock fame is cold and calculating as Harrison and has a fantastic voice to boot for the character which makes him just sound all the more threatening, and there is a very good twist halfway through the film on who Harrison really is but I can't spoil it without ruining the rest of the film. Peter Weller from Robocop was an inclusion that I was very interested in because Weller is a very good actor IMO and seeing him listed in the upcoming cast got me very interested because, except for being in The Dark Knight Returns as Batman/Bruce Wayne, Weller hasn't acted all that much in the last 15 years, so I didn't really know what to expect from Weller, but thankfully he did a fantastic job. Weller plays Admiral Marcus who is out to get Harrison for a certain reason, and trying to start a war with the Klinghons and he is just absolutely hatable and horrible in this film, and you will really want the worse just to happen to this character, and Weller pulls it off so good at making him utterly despicable.

The effects as with the last Star Trek film look just fantastic, but this film has much more space related scenes and scenes on the enterprise than in the last film, and it seems cool to have this setting for once having the movie focus on two enterprises mainly. The movie also has several aliens that it focuses on for a few scenes in the Enterprise, and they look and sound fantastic, plus we finally get to see the Klingons in the film and they look fantastic (plus a Tribble which made me laugh). Also the film has much more emphasis on space battle and hand to hand fights than the last film really did and each one is extremely well done in either building suspense or just looking flat out awesome. The sets all are big and look very cool and the designs of the newer ships and backgrounds look just amazing especially in 3D.

Star Trek Into Darkness not only triumphs in being a fantastic installment in the Star Trek film Franchise, but a fantastic Sci-Fi film in general. The Acting is improved from the last film, the plottwists thrown throughout the film are very clever and some even being hard to expect, the action is just fantastic, the film builds fantastic amounts suspense, and the film throws in a lot of references to the original series and to the original series and 2nd and 3rd Star Trek film which are welcome and very clever. Overall J.J. Abrams has outdone himself again with the Star Trek franchise and not only improved on the last film, but shows that he is worthy of holding onto this franchise and able to pay tribute to the original series, but create something new and original. Let's hope he can do the same with Star Wars.
March 26, 2018
Fun and exhilarating. "Star Trek Into The Darkness" is a great sequel film.
March 14, 2018
again, another fun, spectacular action packed movie that fits the same model as 2009 ST, following the alternate timeline this movie reboots more characters and story lines from the original movies, in this case, the classic khan, looking for revenge against the federation. cumberbatch does a great job in the role and all the other crew is back, and its to their credit that they take mediocre dialogue and are able to bring it to life at all.
½ February 19, 2018
A very good sequel to the first. I never really liked Star Trek until these new remakes with Chris Pine, for some reason. Not a big fan of Star Trek to be honest, but loved these movies.
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 3
Age/Originality: 3
Total: 14/25
½ February 3, 2018
Really enjoying the Star Trek reboot. Well done, and I highly recommend you watch it.
January 25, 2018
A recurrent theme with JJ. Abrams is that he provides thrills that are "oh so visceral". Indeed he needs to do that, lest the audience cotton-on too quickly to the incoherent nature of the story underpinning Into Darkness.

Nevertheless, the chemistry between the main Star Trek actors and Benedict Cumberbatch's bombastically brutal portrayal of Khan smooth things over a bit here.
January 16, 2018
Shallow re-hash of Wrath of Khan that made me feel more embarrassed for a movie than I have since Star Wars Episode III when Vader does his infamous "NOOOO" scream. Does far more damage to the Trek brand than I thought possible.
January 11, 2018
Certain iconic genres should not be 'rebooted' with alternate universe realities while the fans who enjoyed their original fanfare are still alive. This is one of them.

A reasonably fun movie with lots of eye candy -- but it is NOT really Start Trek. If you use the name, make NEW characters which expand the universe and go another direction.
½ December 29, 2017
It's sad that this is the most liked of the Star Trek movies. This isn't good Star Trek. it's a poor rip-off of the Wrath of Kahn, down to the "Kahhnnn" scream, that was just awful. Terrible, terrible, terrible movie. If people keep liking this garbage we will never get quality movies again.
December 27, 2017
Star Trek Into Darkness: Spectacualry action packed, fast paced, darker and more liveler than its predeccesor. Star Trek Into Darkness is a worhy sequel in the franchise while being as fresh as its predeccesor and if not better than the first.
½ December 27, 2017
Not as good as the first and somewhat nonsensical.
December 26, 2017
I didn't like some aspects about this and the ending but otherwise good.
½ December 22, 2017
(92/100)
Great follow up to the first reboot. It borrows from WOK, yes, but it's new enough to be different.
December 21, 2017
An unnecessary retread for the Enterprise crew. Disappointing.
½ December 21, 2017
this movie tried to be too much like wrath of kehn which is ultimately its downfall. still a good movie but not great
December 19, 2017
Amazing story from beginning to end. So much at stake and keeps you guessing until the end of the movie!