Star Trek Into Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Into Darkness Reviews

½ December 9, 2016
The brilliance of the first reboot film was how it walked the line between the new and the old, respecting what came before by not entirely jettisoning it, using to shape the new and guide the audience to it, but not being afraid to chart its own course. The sequel doesn't judge the balance so well, at times being so in awe of the past that it suffocates the present. The more interesting new ideas aren't allowed room to breath in favour of recreating past glories, which vary in how well earned they are.
Still, a lot of what worked about the previous voyage remains; the faster pace and fun new crew, it is not clear whether it is more apparent here that some of them can't hold a candle to their predecessors or that they are becoming their own characters, stepping out from the original crew's shadows. Some of them are given limited time to shine, but this is made up for by new memorable heroes and villains. The limitations of the new vibe do start to show through, however, by being a more generic, fast-moving action film with less emphasis on social commentary it is more forgettable that the best of Trek. The worst thing may be the lens flare, distracting in the last movie, here it outright robs some dramatic moments of their weight. It's by no means a bad film, just not as flawless as the film it follows and perhaps the cracks are starting to show in the new premise of repeating the series in a more blockbuster style.
½ December 5, 2016
One of the best films of the year!
½ December 2, 2016
Benedict Cumberbatch rocked it as the villain and the film was well done. The animating was great as well.
½ November 30, 2016
Relies a bit too heavily on homage and retread, some of the twists and conclusions feel too convenient and coincidental, and the villain's motivation is a bit hard to follow. I mention these things right off the bat because they're really the only faults I have with the movie. They keep it from perfection, but not from immense enjoyment. This is a spectacularly thrilling movie. Even if some of the conclusions aren't the greatest, the ride getting there is sure as hell a fun time. I liked seeing the developing friendship between Spock and Kirk, and even though a certain scene between them was definitely a retread it still had the emotional heft to make it impactful. Also, it's just a ton of fun. It's visually spectacular and has a great sense of adventure. The flaws are there, sure, but they're mostly just minor annoyances in an otherwise great movie.
November 27, 2016
Good for a sequel, but first was better.
November 25, 2016
Star Trek Into Darkness is a bungling mess that turns more into a war film than a true Star Trek adventure, all the while butchering the Wrath of Kahn storyline.
½ November 14, 2016
It balances humor, action, intrigue, and genuine emotional moments to make an enjoyable film. As far as the performances go, Cumberbatch is superb as our villain, and Kirk and Spock deepen their relationship, while both having extremely satisfying story arcs.
November 12, 2016
Though it doesn't have as much of the character depth that made the first so good, this is still a pretty solid second installment filled with exciting action, impressive visual effects, and has a more menacing villain than the first movie. A rare sequel that almost tops the first.
November 6, 2016
Some great acting and dialogue wasted on Benedict Cumberbatch's character in this thinly plotted movie. The last 20 minutes just made it even worse with the ridiculous Wrath of Khan switcharoo.
½ November 4, 2016
Ben dose it again. Grate all around but a bit long and sort of confusing. But over all fun thing and Benedict Cumberbatch is great and fun he visual effects were impressive.
November 1, 2016
Marking my 100th rating, and in celebration of the Star Trek Beyond DVD release, Star Trek Into Darkness is another exceptional entry to the franchise, with a reimagined look into a phenomenal villain portrayed beautifully by Cumberbatch. Looking forward to the fourth entry of this franchise, whenever it comes out.
½ November 1, 2016
I don't understand the disappointed reactions some people had after seeing this movie. It's just as funny and action-packed as its predecessor, again brilliantly acted but with a slightly less interesting storyline.
October 29, 2016
I've been a Star Trek fan ever since I was 4 years old. Now that I'm 30, I'm so happy that the show is still going strong. It is absolutely incredible what JJ Abrams and crew have been able to do with this series. The casting is even better reflected with this movie than it was in 2009's "Star Trek." While many people will gripe about the choice of the villain, I look at it this way - It worked for The Joker.

This movie was an absolute knockout. If you take it in the context set from the first Abrams' trek, it makes sense. The military build up of Starfleet after the decimation of Vulcan, the seeking out of the Botany Bay, and the incredible portrayal of Khan by Benedict Cumberbatch. Some fans may nitpick, but they're most likely the ones that never stop doing that anyways. 5 out of 5 for this Trekker.
October 21, 2016
While this movie is pleasing on a very superficial level (i.e. plenty of sci-fi eye candy action sequences) it lacks heart and soul. The movie is simply too far removed from the spirit of Star Trek for me to give it a good review.
½ October 9, 2016
Though this movie is my least favorite out of the newest re-makes, it's still decent. The plot makes sense, and I thoroughly enjoy Benjamin Cumberbatch's character.
October 9, 2016
it's kind of good but can't say I am that big of a star trek fan so hard to say
½ October 5, 2016
Another great movie for the fantastic great ervamped of this beloved franchise. Cumberbatch is a hell of a villian making a role of the malefic Khan!!
October 5, 2016
A good, fun movie, but drowning in fan service. This new Star Trek universe is great, why waste a film on a Wrath of Khan remake?
September 29, 2016
Satisfying space voyage and a pleasing 'Trek' movie. Can't get enough of sci-fi.....
½ September 28, 2016
Cummerbatch is amazing as Khan. In fact, I like pretty much every cast member they picked for the "new" Star Trek.