Star Trek Into Darkness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Into Darkness Reviews

½ January 21, 2017
With good visuals Into Darkness starts off exciting and fun, but soon turns generic and forgettable. Cumberbatch as the villain feels wasted, and the rather unfortunate twist will leave those unfamiliar with the franchise a little lost as to why the name "khan" is so important.
January 14, 2017
It's pacing is problematic, but it finds its footing in a terrific turn of villainy for Benedict Cumberbatch and moments of grand emotional impact.
January 13, 2017
An action packed and emotionally explosive joy ride that pays homage to its creator, "Star Trek Into Darkness" is smart, witty, and lovely chaotic. "Into Darkness" is a film that encapsulates today's culture. A must see film! Abrams does it again!
January 12, 2017
I love this film the action is great and the story was great. I just thought the songs could have been more prominent. I thought this was a musical
January 9, 2017
The 2010's reboot of Star Trek gets better and better with the second instalment: "Star Trek Into Darkness". Although I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie, this sequel was much more enjoyable for me, and as someone who had very little knowledge of Star Trek before these movies, "Star Trek Into Darkness" has got me hooked on the series. The acting is probably the one thing that stands out the most, and I have to mention the absolute best part about this movie here: Benedict Cumberbatch (John Harrison/Khan). He killed every single one of his scenes, and Star Trek went from having one of the worst villains in the first movie, to one of the best villains in the second. Every line he delivered, every action he made, was done so well, with an art of perfection that made the movie more thrilling than it would've been without him. The plot I found was also an improvement from the first movie, it had a little more depth, and while it got a little all over the place at some rare points, it still stuck with a solid premise that kept me engaged throughout. The main thing that knocked this movie off the high horse that I am putting it on, is the ending. It was extremely rushed, and you go from thinking there's about 20-25 minutes of movie left, to suddenly just the quick wrap up and ending in about 5 minutes. I felt if they took the time to just fine tune that ending a little bit, the movie would've left you with a much better impression. Nonetheless, "Star Trek Into Darkness" was an extremely solid second instalment to the Star Trek 2010's reboot, and is one hundred percent definitely worth the watch.
January 7, 2017
Star Trek into darkness is a really good movie, I definitely like this a lot, even though that I wish Khan wasn't the enemy in this movie it's still a really good movie
January 7, 2017
My full opinion: 3/4.
January 3, 2017
Not quite as good as the previous one but very entertaining.
January 3, 2017
The cast is amazing, the story is intricate, the visual effects are astonishing, and the action is exhilarating.
½ January 2, 2017
Was good, but not great. 3D was a waste of time, it had a lot of corny jokes, and some plot holes. Very cool effects though. The first scene before the credits was jaw dropping. Worth a watch and probably a Blu-ray purchase, but not as good as the first one.
December 30, 2016
Adequately entertaining. But no matter how bombastic the action, and despite a brilliant villain performance from Cumberbatch as an adversary formidable in both brain and brawn, it is hard to shake off the generic nature of the whole affair - plotting skimpy enough to not qualify as story, a villain's plan so intricate and dependent on coincidence as to draw attention to the screenwriters' labored scheming, and generally coloring entirely within the outlines laid down by other recent action franchise reboots. A bit of a stumble after the previous movie.
December 30, 2016
JJ Abrams = Hack. He couldn't come up with an original idea if his life dependent on it. This movie is a turd. Just has he has destroyed Star Wars he put Star Trek in the toilet along with it.
December 30, 2016
Not a bad movie, just wish they didn't do a retread on Wrath of Khan.
December 25, 2016
While not as satisfying as the firat film in this reboot series, this is still highly enjoyable. Loved the fact that Scotty, one of my favorite Star Trek characters got such an action laden part.
December 24, 2016
In my opinion, best Star Trek yet. It's super dark, creepy, and Cumberbatch perfectly portrays the Khan that we were all scared of as kids. Acting is amazing, solid Trek movie.
½ December 23, 2016
A solid alternate story that ought to leave most trekkies and aficionados with major goosebumps thanks to its many awesome and well-inspired references - which compensate for how formulaic and intensely action-oriented it aims to be above everything else.
December 22, 2016
This one is just as great as the first one.
December 21, 2016
GRRRRR!!!! What was this?!!! This wasn't good. While as fun a ride as 2009's Star Trek was, this lacked any real imagination or originality. They had a chance to tell a real story here, but inside the took a path that ultimately made this a real disappointment. There are parts in this movie, that really pissed me off. I like Cumberbash, but he wasn't Khan- nor did he need to be. He could have simply been another of Khan's people from the Botany Bay. But if they were insistent about doing Khan, they really should have gone with Benecio Del Toro, and told a WAY more cerebral story, and pit Kirk's experience against Khan's intellect. Instead we got Cumber-Khan, a warmonger Robocop, and the most asinine plot I've ever scene. Please, Mr. Abrams, Mr. Orci, Mr. Kurtzman, & Mr. Lindelof don't do this shit again.
December 19, 2016
A movie that could have been good and original, but in the final act steals an iconic ending from Star Trek II in a way that really doesn't work well.
½ December 17, 2016
While I don't care for Star Trek in general, I do enjoy the cast of this new incarnation (mostly Pegg and Saldana) ... and there was plenty enough excitement for them to shine a bit here.