Stargate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stargate Reviews

September 17, 2016
Favorite Kurt Russell movie! A must see action adventure!
½ August 6, 2016
This was just kind of ridiculous and not really exciting. I usually like Kurt Russell but he seemed to be a non factor here.
½ July 22, 2016
One of Emmerich's best.
July 19, 2016
How this spawned the beloved TV show is beyond me.
June 28, 2016
I don't know why but I really like this movie. Guilty pleasure I suppose.
½ June 17, 2016
Kurt Russell battling alien Egyptians, ftw.
June 13, 2016
Scientist tries to prove that Pyramids in Egypt were not built by humans but by Aliens. This sci-fi movie is filled with visual effects that are a definite wow factor and it's screenplay is well crafted with new ideas. A classic must see.
½ June 5, 2016
This was always one of my favorite movies. Critics are always criticizing everything unless it is an independent foreign film about an obscure love story.
½ June 3, 2016
I found it boring...
... I still do.
June 1, 2016
This has a good story and cast but I had a difficult time maintaining my interest after the first act.
½ April 11, 2016
Decent classic, beautiful music but not enough originality went into that completely other world (it was kind of exactly like earth)...
April 7, 2016
The movie that started to all.
March 11, 2016
An early expression of ancient alien theory
½ February 14, 2016
It wasn't terrible?!?
February 7, 2016
Fantastic special effects: among the best to be put on film. However, the story is dull and monotonous, even with James spader and Kurt Russell.
January 25, 2016
This is a pretty cool film! I love stories that use Sci-Fi to explain how history might have happened or been shaped. Plus I'm intrigued by the possibility of ancient aliens. I've also always been interested with Egyptian history. And of course I love space! So this film was a pretty perfect mix of all of those things! I think I'll be starting to watch the various TV series' soon! Just as soon as I finally complete all of the Star Trek series' after 3 years!
January 22, 2016
One of the greatest Sci-Fi films of all time!
January 17, 2016
A film directed by Rolan Emmerich with military soldiers facing off against aliens. No, this isn't "Independence Day", but you can certainly tell where a lot of the ideas paralleled. I suppose my expectation was a little different considering I had seen a few episodes of "SG-1" back in the day, because I did not expect it to be almost entirely set in "Egypt".

However, I did appreciate the subtle nod to chiseling out the blocks for all the neat Egyptian architecture by putting the alien planet in the "Caelum" constellation, since "Caelum" translates to "Chisel."
January 7, 2016
Movie, you had one job to do, and it was being a good movie, and you blew it.

The acting is pretty ok, Kurt Russel and James Spader did pretty well on their respective roles, specially Russel, but the rest of the characters are very superficial, even the villager that Spader's falls in love with is not given a proper treatment.

The special effects are ok, but the fights are just so... lackluster, it gives you very few thrills because most of them are curbstomps, even Russel's fight with Horus is not safe from it. But the Stargate's sound and effects, are very memorable.

The plot was interesting at the start, but when Ra showed up... everything went downhill. His interpretation is very lackluster too, and he doesn't look intimidating; they should have hired a body builder or someone that will look intimidating.

Overall, despite heaving a pretty interesting setting, it did most things wrong. Should have been adapted into a TV Show instead of a movie.
November 15, 2015
55%
Saw this on 20/12/14
Stargate is at times extensively silly due to it's large loop holes and clumsy plotting. It's science is almost vaguely narrow, but however, large set designs and special effects save this film from being utterly bad. It's watchable and worth a one time watch. Clearly this work of fiction is not one amongst the top notch films of Roland Emmerich. Among the actors, James Spader and Viveca Lindfors stands out with their performances while Kurt Russel maintains a stale face for most of the time.