Stargate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stargate Reviews

March 25, 2017
hard to watch cause there is no subtitles when the human aliens talk. so unless you have a player with internet connection you dont get what they talk on "alien" language
March 20, 2017
Superior to the TV spin-offs. One of Emmerich's best
March 8, 2017
i would not give any weight to the tomatometer. It is a movie that passes the test of time and spawned successful TV shows. If there is anything I would agree with the self proclaimed critics is the finale was anti climatic. Didn't have bite to it. But other than that, it is worth the watch.
½ February 12, 2017
One of my all time favorites
February 5, 2017
A classic in my book.
January 2, 2017
Favorite Kurt Russell movie!
November 26, 2016
Mah, I am basically disappointed by this movie because a friend of mine whom I really trust talked me in a very exctactic way of Stargate, but although the very cool idea of old Egiptian gods that enslaved people on Earth and brought them on another planet to build pyramids there (why, btw??) the rest is just not interesting to me.
November 16, 2016
Combining aliens, gateways to unknown places in space and time and the history of ancient Egypt is a unique and exciting idea. By studying Egyptian ruins and artifacts, a team of historians and scientists under control of the United States military, open a gateway to another world. The story takes time to introduce you to a likable but overlooked historian character played by James Spader. The audience parallels his experiences as his pessimism slowly turns into curiosity, then excitement and then ultimately of wonder. Spader's enthusiasm and sheer joy of uncovering ancient mysteries keep the movie fun. It is particularly helpful to the movie by sharply contrasts the stern attitudes of the military crew around him. The light situational humor and Spader make for a playful take on a conceptual science fiction adventure like this. Action during the climax does quite not hold up to the rest of the movie. It does not look particularly bad for its time, but has a somewhat campy feel to it. Without establishing the playful tone earlier, this could cause the entire production to collapse, but because it is there, it still works. It is a wildly imaginative concept. No wonder a successful television series followed it to expand the idea and build off this story.
November 12, 2016
Original movie, old effects like star wars. The movie that started the StarGate shows.
October 22, 2016
Silly but enjoyable escapist sci-fi action and by far Roland Emmerich's best film.

The big highlights are the awesome special effects and set designs, but I also find the world-building and imaginative genre-mashing (science fiction + action + biblical epic = Stargate) just as compelling.

Plus I love the off-kilter chemistry between James Spader and Kurt Russell.

I can't help but smile when Kurt Russell utters "Give my regards to King Tut asshole!!"

It's a shame Roland Emmerich never returned to the Stargate universe, this film was supposed to be the first in a planned trilogy but Emmerich abandoned it in favor of making "Independence Day", but at least we got the long-running TV show.
½ October 7, 2016
I can see where the concept of this movie spawned a bunch of TV shows that I hear are really good, but the movie itself, and the acting, even the special effects, are not not that great at all.
½ August 6, 2016
This was just kind of ridiculous and not really exciting. I usually like Kurt Russell but he seemed to be a non factor here.
½ July 22, 2016
One of Emmerich's best.
July 19, 2016
How this spawned the beloved TV show is beyond me.
June 28, 2016
I don't know why but I really like this movie. Guilty pleasure I suppose.
½ June 17, 2016
Kurt Russell battling alien Egyptians, ftw.
June 13, 2016
Scientist tries to prove that Pyramids in Egypt were not built by humans but by Aliens. This sci-fi movie is filled with visual effects that are a definite wow factor and it's screenplay is well crafted with new ideas. A classic must see.
½ June 5, 2016
This was always one of my favorite movies. Critics are always criticizing everything unless it is an independent foreign film about an obscure love story.
½ June 3, 2016