The Stepford Wives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Stepford Wives Reviews

June 20, 2016
This movie is all kinds of crazy and if you liked it, good for you. People have different taste
May 5, 2016
This movie is weird. Close is great as a weirdo. Kidman is good, and the movie has some interesting messages, but not one I'd put in my collection.
April 23, 2016
The Stepford Wives is a fairly awful movie. It greatly deviates from its source novel, which was a dark and frightening commentary on misogyny and suburbia. It replaces darkness for camp and its edge for slapstick, but it even does camp and slapstick poorly. How such a star-studded cast was recruited for The Stepford Wives is beyond me. (4/23/16)
November 20, 2015
What a waste of talent and money!
November 6, 2015
What a film!!
A funny sci-fi adaptation to the classic 70's thriller with possibly 1 of the most amazing cast set, we got Nicole Kidman, Matthew Broadrick, Glenn Close, Bette Midler, Jon Lovitz and the legend that is Christopher Walken, a really clever funny tale about the perfect life with the perfect wife for the perfect husband, it's just really good I enjoyed it, end of
August 19, 2015
Terrible cast, which constantly get on your nerves, Christopher Walken excluded. The story, however, is good. I should have watched the original first really but, at least I'm now motivated to do so, I suppose.
½ August 13, 2015
I honestly can't say how surprised I felt about this I really like the cast but I feel they lost the concept of the original story I didn't minded that they modernized it it's just what made the original so great it's because it told a very dark and interesting concept with this they spin it I find that insulting and very wrong.
½ July 28, 2015
Even at only an hour and a half this boring remake drags and fails to entertain.
½ June 21, 2015
Poor EVERYTHING. You know it's rough when an unfunny joke about the slow speeds of AOL is the funniest line in the movie.
June 5, 2015
Boring, and fails at being touching, funny, or mysterious.
½ April 27, 2015
Pretty awful. I mean, I know some people like this as a kind of cult hit, but I definitely didn't enjoy it. Haven't seen the original at all but it's supposed to be good. This is just really dumb though. And there's something just really off about the whole thing. I know that the wives are supposed to be really strange, but that's not it. I just got some kind of strange vibe from the way this film is shot, directed. and acted. And it's not deliberate, per se. The one thing I really liked about this film is that it's got Christopher Walken in it. If nothing else, youtube his scenes from this film lol.
½ April 3, 2015
mindlessly, implausibly dumb
March 22, 2015
Taken as a parody of a parody or stretching its meaning, this movie isn't that bad.
½ March 2, 2015
5.5/10
It was a kind of funny movie with some good performances but there seemed to be missing some much meaning and depth, and so it felt all too literally superficial. Still, it had some "funny" moments but there wasn't anything special or memorable about it.
February 4, 2015
Do bad it's not worth a real review or joke.
January 31, 2015
Another "can't-take-this-too-seriously-just-enjoy-it-and-shut-up" movie! You can't beat fun star-studded B-movies like this! Where else will you get Nicole Kidman, Matthew Broderick, Roger Bart, Better Midler, John Lovitz, Glenn Close and Christopher Walken all in the same movie?!?! While many criticize Kidman for weird movie choices like this, I liked seeing her in this film cause it told me that the renowned "Hours" actress could also have fun and laugh at herself a bit. In any case, the plot is preposterously laughable. Whether that makes it a good or bad movie is up to you.
½ January 20, 2015
The sort of movie I laugh myself silly at, but not when there are men in the room. I don't want them to get the mistaken idea that this is actually a joke.
½ December 31, 2014
Not a bad film, all things considered. I can't say I enjoyed the message of the film. Overall the script was extremely hackneyed and underestimated the audience to read between the lines. I appreciate the intended message of feminism and cultural critique, but generally it's not a wise idea to batter your audiences over the head with it, especially when the ideas presented are not exactly novel.

So why 3.5 stars? Because the cast was absolutely delightful and committed to perfect comedic timing, which I always think elevates a script to it's fullest potential. So the script was lackluster, but the performances were strong. The ensemble as a whole was terrific but 2 especially strong leading ladies stand out. Kidman cut a fierce silhouette as a simultaneously confident and sharp businessperson, yet undermined by self-doubt brought on ironically by her own ideological commitments. As I watch more of Kidman's movies, I find myself more and more appreciating the nuances she utilizes, making her one of the more realistic actresses brought to life. The other performance really worth mentioning is Glenn Close. For most of the movie she strikes you as just another Stepford Wife, yet you can't help but feel there is something else boiling underneath. When the other wives are confused by an outsider's remarks, you don't sense total confusion from Close. What you sense instead is the wheels turning, an active and calculated "what's next." Her final monologue is actually quite moving and you see the genuine emotion rise through her. Overall a funny movie worth a laugh on a bad movie night.
½ December 22, 2014
Great actors, weak storyline.
December 15, 2014
That was something! Don't you wanna scream ladies? But crazy and funny!