Story of Women (Une Affaire de Femmes) Reviews

• Apr 19, 2020

Led by an outstanding performance from Isabelle Huppert, Une Affaire de Femmes delicately puts moral questions into perspective without resorting to easy judgements.

• Dec 08, 2015

good pic & another lost review flixter!

good pic & another lost review flixter!

• Jun 21, 2013

Giving insights on France during world war,this movie beautifully captures the emotions of almost everyone getting affected by war,keeping in lead the imperfect Protagonist...!

• Mar 15, 2013

A film that plays almost like a feminist documentary, there was too much of the costumes and the settings that seemed like they were from the 1980's and not 1940's, which really took me out of the reality they were trying to create.

• Feb 05, 2013

As this movie shows, if a woman has a duty to the state to deliver a baby that is a fascistic idea! You may condemn it morally but when you criminalize something you by definition transform into a crime against the state. And it strikes me odd that a lot of tea baggers who call a state fascistic for even attempting to reasonably regulate firearms or healthcare, insist that it sticks its nose into woman's vagina!

John B Super Reviewer
    Oct 24, 2012

The Second World War continues to be a great source of film material and this is an important addition to that collection of film..albeit one that isn't overly compelling. A tiny conflict within a larger one.

• Jul 25, 2012

"Ayez pitié des enfants de ceux que l'on condamne."

"Ayez pitié des enfants de ceux que l'on condamne."

• Jul 31, 2011

Isabelle Huppert is a great actress. If acting on the screen can be considered performance art, she is one of the many talented people who can prove it. She is passionate, lighthearted and gentle in her movements. Sometimes I lose my faith in screen acting and I tend to look at other things to attract me in a film. Isabelle's face is radiant, arresting, expressive, full with spectrum of emotions. Claude Chabrol is one of my favorite New Wave directors. Personally, I was jaded from all the popular stuff by Godard and what have you but Claude is totally a breath of fresh air. In this particular film, he has magnificently able to evoke the atmosphere and mood of 40's occupied France in the most impeccable fashion. It's not pretentious not excessive. The naturalistic light in combination with the costumes are simply magnificent yet modest. Chabrol understands women and I believe he has great taste in women's fashion.

• Jun 25, 2011

Didn't realize this was a true story until two-thirds into the movie. Once the protagonist's fate was determined, the movie seemed to lose some steam.

• Feb 19, 2011

An artfully done and disturbing film that raises questions about controversial social issues. Huppert's performance is riveting under Chabrol's keen direction.