Strangers on a Train - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Strangers on a Train Reviews

½ October 23, 2017
Strangers On A Train: Suspencful and a absoulte classic, Alfred Hitchcock creates another suspencful masterpeice.
October 8, 2017
Alligators on A Train.
½ October 1, 2017
Hitchcock's crisscross murder thriller uncovers the depraved workings of a killer's psychosis.
September 29, 2017
While far fetched and not the directors best Strangers in a train a suspenseful masterpiece. That proves once again why Alfred Hitchcock is one of the greatest directors of all time. With masterful entertainment.
½ September 23, 2017
Strangers on a Train has its flaws such as the ending which wasn't my cup of tea, but it surely is one of Hitchcock's better films which features a highly memorable villain and a very authentic and fun premise wonderfully executed. There are a lot of unforgettable moments here and the film succeeds the most in its striking black-and-white cinematography, an amusing sense of humor and a suspenseful atmosphere.
August 28, 2017
Strangers on a Train is Hitchcock doing what Hitchcock does best: using the all of the disparate aspects of film to weave together a provocative, suspenseful story that is also, strangely, darkly comic.
August 28, 2017
Full of the suspense and wit and ordinary folks revealing horrifying impulses we come to expect from Hitchcock.
½ August 20, 2017
Brilliant. If not quintessential Hitchcock, 'Strangers on a train' represents the director at its most sadistic, elaborately diabolic style. Being filled with thrills, suspense and remarkably perverse at a perfectionist, frightening detail, this is an evil film, a model of mise-en-scène, an ideal example of the creation of tension in a motion picture. Definitely ranks among the unmissable works of the master, these significant works that made his career brilliant.
August 13, 2017
Typical Hitchcock thriller about 2 strangers who share their personal problems in life . An unfaithfull wife and a hated father. one persuades the other to murder each others in a proposition. Suspense throughout particularly towards the end.
July 28, 2017
Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train is a gift to the history of cinema. Robert Walker as Bruno Anthony is chilling and his character is thirty years ahead of its time. It is Hitchcock at his best; brilliant sets and suspense so engaging that your eyes are glued to the screen.
July 8, 2017
Don't talk with strangers.
May 18, 2017
The simple premise for this movie is: two men meet on a train and have a chat and one of them tries to convince the other that they should exchange murdering each other's wives. Great idea, memorable scenes including a tense game of tennis and a merry-go-round from hell but something isn't right to me. I think it's a good movie but somehow slightly by-the-numbers for Hitchcock.
April 30, 2017
A good story, but you have to put yourself in the 1950's. I enjoyed the action sequences despite the lack of special effects. The merry-go-round was cool. A couple tense scenes of dialogue and of course the famous sequence on the train were great.
½ April 23, 2017
Strangers on a Train starts off with a subtle opening and eases you into the plot. It actually takes us on the journey with Guy as he slowly starts to understand what's going on. I liked the premise and thought it kept the tension heightened through most of the movie. I also didn't have any idea how it would end, which kept me interested all the way through.

Farley Granger was good as the protagonist, but this movie works because of the oily charm of Robert Walker. I absolutely loved his performance as Bruno and wondered why I've never seen his name as one of the greatest movie villains of all time. The rest of the cast is also solid, especially Kasey Rogers who is perfectly sweet-looking and yet wicked as Guy's wife, which is exactly what that role needed.

I would have adored this movie if it weren't for some issues in the third act. There's a long sequence where it seems that the movie is just stalling and that bugged me. I think the intent was to increase tension as everyone approached the climax, but by delaying both parties it started to feel pointless. I was almost annoyed waiting for things to finally resolve. The idea was good, I just found the execution lacking in that section of the film.

The other issue I had was with the carousel sequence at the end, which seemed a little over-the-top and almost ridiculous. It had some exciting moments and certainly was shot in an interesting way. But the sequence was just odd, and perhaps a bit far fetched. I was satisfied with how it ended, though. By the conclusion of the film, I was satisfied with Strangers on a Train, but not as wowed as I expected after the way it got started. It's a solid Hitchcock film, but one I won't revisit as often.
April 20, 2017
One of Hitchcock's best, and that saying a lot
April 5, 2017
One of Hitchcock's best films - and funniest! Simple premise: two strangers - Guy Haines (Granger, a tennis player) and Bruno Anthony (Walker, rich playboy who looks like Bill Murray!) - meet on a train, where Bruno proposes to solve their issues (unfaithful wife & tight-arse dad, respectively) by each murdering the other's "problem", there'll be no motive. Guy laughs it off, but Bruno's a bit nuts and goes through with it. From there, it's all cat and mouse as Guy tries to prove his innocence. Plenty of humorous moments, as it's not done too seriously, and a great finale.
½ April 4, 2017
Hitchcock is famous for making crime dramas. Some of his most praised ones include "Rear Window", "Dial M for Murder", "Vertigo", "North by Northwest", and "Rope" (which I will be watching soon). He has great talent in making so many of them succeed in so many different ways. He gives them suspenseful and disturbing feelings which still feel unnerving today. "Strangers on a Train" may not be the very best film he's ever made, but it's still very effective.

Guy Haines, a tennis star, meets a fan of his named Bruno Antony while riding on a train. Bruno tells him his theory for how 2 strangers can get away with murder. He says that if 2 unrelated people swap murders and kill the person that the other wants dead, there would be no clues to connect, and both of them will be able to get away. Guy Haines doesn't take him seriously, but Bruno plans to implement his theory.

Bruno Antony served as a very memorable villain. Instead of acting hostile or impatient, he would simply stalk Guy everywhere he went, and would continue to try and get him to follow through with his end of the deal. This made for some unnerving scenes which made the viewer wonder what he would do to Guy. Bruno would constantly stalk him in public, call him, and send him supplies necessary for murdering his father. As Bruno started to talk to Guy's family, the movie continued to raise tension as the movie made the viewer wonder whether he was going to do something to his family. Also, Bruno Antony was played exceptionally well by Robert Walker. He commands every scene he's in, and he captures just the right mood for Bruno's character.

The conversation that Bruno and Guy have on the subway near the beginning of the film is very thought-provoking. It makes the viewer wonder if such a perfect murder like the one that Hitchcock described actually is possible. It seems to make sense, and if the criminal doing the crime does a few minor things to protect his identity, the crime could be executed flawlessly. The film keeps the viewer believing that this crime would work throughout the film, and he does this so well that the viewer starts to suspect that a happy ending is next to impossible. A great tactic that Hitchcock did in this movie and "Dial M for Murder" is that he created 2 crimes that seemed very believable and creative. It wasn't until the ending where he revealed a clue so minimal that the viewer likely would not have ever seen it coming no matter how much they were paying attention. What makes the film more terrifying is that the crime Bruno thought of could easily happen to any person. The chances of it happening are highly unlikely, but it's the idea that anyone could be a murderer which is central to the movie and that's what makes it work better.

Hitchcock is a master at visual set pieces, and he utilized his skill for them here. One of the scenes happens near the beginning where it shows Bruno stalking Miriam, the person who he plans to kill, at a carnival. Since she's with 2 of her boyfriends, the viewer has doubts that Bruno can overpower all of them. However, the film shows both of her boyfriends doing a "High Striker" carnival game. None of them get it to the top. However, Bruno goes up after both of them, and he gets it to the top easily. Later, it shows her and her boyfriends in a boat going through a "Tunnel of Love". Bruno is right behind them. It shows their shadows on a wall with Bruno's shadow slowly moving closer to them. The shot cuts to the opening where it shows Miriam screaming. However, they go out and it shows one of her boyfriends simply messing around with her. Hitchcock tricks the viewer in that scene.

Another great visual set piece comes at one of the film's most iconic scenes. Guy is at the tennis game waiting to play next. The camera is pointed at the crowd. Every body is turning their heads to follow the tennis ball. For a second, the viewer might smile a bit. However, the camera zooms in to show Bruno staring directly at Guy, giving the scene a sudden, serious tone. Another scene happens when Guy is quietly wandering through the darkness of Bruno's home. A dog growling at him at the top of the stairs throws the viewer off from what they think might happen, and the scene somewhat surprises the viewer.

Bruno's perfect murder theory was well-thought out. However, I never understood why Bruno told Anne about his plan of putting a lighter at the scene of the crime to frame Guy. That was a very foolish decision for him to do. Anne could've easily told her family about what he did, and they could've all attempted to stop him, ruining his plan. This isn't necessarily a gigantic plot hole, but it still bugs me as it effects the entire final act. Also, I felt like the final confrontation between Guy and Bruno being on an out-of-control merry-go-round wasn't exactly the best setting Hitchcock could've picked as it was slightly cheesy for such a serious crime film about murder.

In conclusion, this was a very great Hitchcock film. Bruno was a great villain, and great acting plus clever visual set pieces made Bruno pretty memorable. Hitchcock's thought-provoking perfect murder theory was intriguing, and it was very interesting. It may have a few minor flaws, but it has still accomplished a lot, and it was well worth my time.
March 7, 2017
Wow masterpiece. I would say every Hitchcock film is my favorite.
January 7, 2017
10 out of 10:

Strangers on a Train is not only gripping, but well acted and intense.
½ December 10, 2016
A plethera of mixed emotions and inuendos