Strangers on a Train - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Strangers on a Train Reviews

February 10, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
January 14, 2018
Good movie. Want to further analyze later.
January 6, 2018
Wow. We're really getting to the classic style at this point in Hitchcock's career. It seems he had everything figured out by this point.
December 26, 2017

[Alfred Hitchcock]
½ October 23, 2017
Strangers On A Train: Suspencful and a absoulte classic, Alfred Hitchcock creates another suspencful masterpeice.
October 8, 2017
Alligators on A Train.
½ October 1, 2017
Hitchcock's crisscross murder thriller uncovers the depraved workings of a killer's psychosis.
September 29, 2017
While far fetched and not the directors best Strangers in a train a suspenseful masterpiece. That proves once again why Alfred Hitchcock is one of the greatest directors of all time. With masterful entertainment.
½ September 23, 2017
Strangers on a Train has its flaws such as the ending which wasn't my cup of tea, but it surely is one of Hitchcock's better films which features a highly memorable villain and a very authentic and fun premise wonderfully executed. There are a lot of unforgettable moments here and the film succeeds the most in its striking black-and-white cinematography, an amusing sense of humor and a suspenseful atmosphere.
August 28, 2017
Strangers on a Train is Hitchcock doing what Hitchcock does best: using the all of the disparate aspects of film to weave together a provocative, suspenseful story that is also, strangely, darkly comic.
August 28, 2017
Full of the suspense and wit and ordinary folks revealing horrifying impulses we come to expect from Hitchcock.
½ August 20, 2017
Brilliant. If not quintessential Hitchcock, 'Strangers on a train' represents the director at its most sadistic, elaborately diabolic style. Being filled with thrills, suspense and remarkably perverse at a perfectionist, frightening detail, this is an evil film, a model of mise-en-scène, an ideal example of the creation of tension in a motion picture. Definitely ranks among the unmissable works of the master, these significant works that made his career brilliant.
August 13, 2017
Typical Hitchcock thriller about 2 strangers who share their personal problems in life . An unfaithfull wife and a hated father. one persuades the other to murder each others in a proposition. Suspense throughout particularly towards the end.
July 28, 2017
Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train is a gift to the history of cinema. Robert Walker as Bruno Anthony is chilling and his character is thirty years ahead of its time. It is Hitchcock at his best; brilliant sets and suspense so engaging that your eyes are glued to the screen.
July 8, 2017
Don't talk with strangers.
May 18, 2017
The simple premise for this movie is: two men meet on a train and have a chat and one of them tries to convince the other that they should exchange murdering each other's wives. Great idea, memorable scenes including a tense game of tennis and a merry-go-round from hell but something isn't right to me. I think it's a good movie but somehow slightly by-the-numbers for Hitchcock.
April 30, 2017
A good story, but you have to put yourself in the 1950's. I enjoyed the action sequences despite the lack of special effects. The merry-go-round was cool. A couple tense scenes of dialogue and of course the famous sequence on the train were great.
½ April 23, 2017
Strangers on a Train starts off with a subtle opening and eases you into the plot. It actually takes us on the journey with Guy as he slowly starts to understand what's going on. I liked the premise and thought it kept the tension heightened through most of the movie. I also didn't have any idea how it would end, which kept me interested all the way through.

Farley Granger was good as the protagonist, but this movie works because of the oily charm of Robert Walker. I absolutely loved his performance as Bruno and wondered why I've never seen his name as one of the greatest movie villains of all time. The rest of the cast is also solid, especially Kasey Rogers who is perfectly sweet-looking and yet wicked as Guy's wife, which is exactly what that role needed.

I would have adored this movie if it weren't for some issues in the third act. There's a long sequence where it seems that the movie is just stalling and that bugged me. I think the intent was to increase tension as everyone approached the climax, but by delaying both parties it started to feel pointless. I was almost annoyed waiting for things to finally resolve. The idea was good, I just found the execution lacking in that section of the film.

The other issue I had was with the carousel sequence at the end, which seemed a little over-the-top and almost ridiculous. It had some exciting moments and certainly was shot in an interesting way. But the sequence was just odd, and perhaps a bit far fetched. I was satisfied with how it ended, though. By the conclusion of the film, I was satisfied with Strangers on a Train, but not as wowed as I expected after the way it got started. It's a solid Hitchcock film, but one I won't revisit as often.
April 20, 2017
One of Hitchcock's best, and that saying a lot
April 5, 2017
One of Hitchcock's best films - and funniest! Simple premise: two strangers - Guy Haines (Granger, a tennis player) and Bruno Anthony (Walker, rich playboy who looks like Bill Murray!) - meet on a train, where Bruno proposes to solve their issues (unfaithful wife & tight-arse dad, respectively) by each murdering the other's "problem", there'll be no motive. Guy laughs it off, but Bruno's a bit nuts and goes through with it. From there, it's all cat and mouse as Guy tries to prove his innocence. Plenty of humorous moments, as it's not done too seriously, and a great finale.