Stronger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stronger Reviews

½ July 19, 2018
Very captivating, such a touching real life event everyone watching can learn something from this great movie I just love it
July 16, 2018
The human side of "Patriots Day" (2016) on the terrorist attack at the 2013 Boston Marathon: legs amputated, posttraumatic stress disorder, rehabilitation, pregnancy. A survival movie well received only by critics and non-paying public, since at least it was a box office failure.
(Mauro Lanari)
June 25, 2018
Stronger is a film I wish would be so much better. But it only hits all the marks in the last half an hour. Before that it's a bland tale of a guy who suffers through the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombing. Perhaps director David Gordon Green did this one for all the people who really lived through this disastrous day but he (or the film) forgets about all the other viewers. The last 30 minutes are emotional, sad and touching. And the real life images of Jeff Bauman (here played by Jake Gyllenhaal) are more heart-wrenching than the whole movie. That's not that good for the movie. It's just good for us so that we can feel good about sharing a tear with this man over his bitter fate.
½ June 5, 2018
A fantastic movie, written beautifully, and acted really well. Seriously, Jake Gyllenahall deserves an Oscar for this. It explores how something affected other people as well, like tatiana Maslany's character and the Carlos character.
May 31, 2018
"Stronger" is a moving film that reminds us that heroes can be ordinary people among us. The story is led by Jake Gyllenhaal's outstanding performance. His character is shown as flawed but one that you really want to root for. As always, he does a great job and proves yet again that he is one of the best actors working today. While the movie is based on a tragic event, the message is one of hope and it is very inspirational to watch. The movie does feel a touch too long and does start to slow down in its second half, but overall, it is worth checking out due to a first-rate lead performance.
½ May 28, 2018
This movie got some hype early in the 2017 awards season that fizzled out by the time the Oscars rolled around, and I think that's for the best. This is exactly the kind of movie you'd expect it to be - a typical "man overcomes adversity" story that evokes some tears along the way and leaves you with a warm fuzzy at the end. The movie tells the real-life story of Jeff Bauman, whose legs were blown off by one of the Boston Marathon bombs in 2013. It really tries to stay true to the real story... and I'm reticent to say it, but that may have been to its detriment. Its heart is in the right place, but, callous as this may sound, I'm just not sure the story is interesting enough to sustain a full feature-length film. Not that his story is not a worthy story - it is - but the film just doesn't pack enough drama to keep you invested for the full 2-hour running time. It would have been much better served as a documentary. As it is, the movie tries to beef up the drama as best it can, mostly by turning it into a love story. But I have to give it credit for how well it highlights America's propensity to turn victims into heroes, even when they don't want to be. The film does a great job at highlighting the pressure this poor guy was under to be America's hero and "not let the terrorists win", when he was suffering from PTSD and all he wanted to do was be left alone. Everyone, even his family, expected him to be the face of the "Boston Strong" movement with no regard to what he actually needed or wanted. It's a good lesson to us all to stop forcing our expectations on others, especially victims of trauma. That said, the only other thing about this movie that stands out are the performances, which are truly excellent. Jake Gyllenhaal got a lot of praise for his performance as Bauman, all of which is deserved, but Tatiana Maslany is easily as good as his longtime girlfriend... perhaps better. Hers is the more subtle and nuanced performance, and I would argue that she had the more difficult role, and I hate that she got so little credit for her efforts. But a movie can only be buoyed so high by performances alone, and overall, I was underwhelmed. It's a perfectly fine movie, but it doesn't bring anything new or special to the table.
½ May 8, 2018
So much unspoken acting and communicating between the characters. Very human and very real. I watched it twice.
May 3, 2018
Based on the true story of of Jeff Bauman a survivor of the Boston Marathon Bombing of 2013. Jeff (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a deli counter worker at Costco that just hasn't done much with his life. When he finds out his ex-girlfriend Erin (Tatiana Maslany) is running the Boston Marathon Jeff decides to go the next day and support her at the finish line. As we know a terrible bombing happens that day which leaves Jeff without his legs. The movie goes through his struggles of coming to terms with his new found celebrity, but understanding the hope and strength he gives others. The movie is wonderfully acted by Gyllenhaal who after seeing this I can say he got snubbed for an Oscar Nomination. Maslany is also very good as Erin with the scenes between the two very powerful. The movie is quite a somber tale and has some very moving moments in it. It definitely shows a side of Jeff that the media could never show since Jeff himself is not a perfect person, but I actually like that it humanized a lot of the things going on here. Overall, solid dramatic film about a man that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but through the events and actions that happened to him made the most of it eventually. I'd definitely recommend giving this one a look.
½ April 29, 2018
stronger is a good movie, but I feel that the actor Jake Gyllenhaal did not express the good feelings of Jeff Bauman ...
½ April 23, 2018
Much better than it should be.
½ April 22, 2018
Loved Gyllenhaal, was really bored by the movie.
April 14, 2018
Well for this one, laungauage, the movie not going at least alittle longer, and some scences that possibly we're confusing to being confusing, it could have been executed better, but hey.
½ April 4, 2018
What doesn't kill you makes you
STRONGER
There are those films that you expect to be glorified PSAs about patriotism and the strength of the American people against a threat. Yet sometimes, when a film allows this nationalistic component too fly freely, it can become preachy and stripped of a character's individuality. That is the case with Only the Brave and Patriots Day, recent films that loose a good portion of their international appeal because they're too specific in telling a collective story. There is no denying that the human being will always focus on the individual, we will always connect the most when there's only one character to root for and follow his/her emotional journey. That is the case with Stronger which may seem like a run-of-the-mill biopic but it's innovative in its core. David Gordon Green (who also directed the appalling Your Highness) has a smart eye, keen on emotion and small gestures (which is rare in these films). Stronger is a film in which the propensity to long shots, good editing and a truly layered performance work together to make up an enthralling movie about the aftermath to a tragedy. It's all told through his eyes and that's why patriotic questions, which definitely play a part, are sidelined we aren in his point of view, not the public opinion's. And choosing a character that is so ordinary and as flawed as we are make us invested in the story to a degree of human empathy, which is only possible by the way shots pull you in and give you clear knowledge of what's going on inside Gyllenhaal's mind (through his deep eyes). There's something special in watching, like we did last year in Sully, not a performance but the polar opposite, a reaction from someone whose existence we never doubt. It may seem average, but Stronger is a film whose commendable sensibility creates a gentle but realistic portrayal of PTSD, it reminds you that what may seem like a TV movie can have a heart. That a good eye and and a better performance go a long way
½ April 1, 2018
A movie that calls a man a hero for losing both of his legs. Indeed, he suffered through a very terrible and tragic event. His family tried to use his circumstance for media attention. The movie portrays his drinking problem and being an unreliable jackass as the main obstacles to overcome. Ultimately, he regains to ability to walk again and then the movie abruptly ends. He is an unfortunate victim that recovered from his injuries (which is good for him). However, this does not make him an American hero.
March 30, 2018
Stronger is a biographical drama film based on Jeff Bauman, he is one of the victims of Boston Marathon bombing, he lost his legs during the incident. This is his story of how he copes with his loss. It's a well-made emotionally rich storytelling, that it's a true story based on facts only adds to its charm. Jake Gyllenhaal is awesome in his portrayal and is supported well by the other cast, a well written and directed movie.
March 18, 2018
Real life tale of Jeff Bauman, who survived the 2013 Boston marathon bombing, but not without the loss of his legs. While it isn't able to avoid most of the typical beats that these types of movies tend to have, it's character centered storytelling elevates it above the average film. What makes this better than most films of this ilk, is that the focus is more on how Jeff refuses to change while his mother and girlfriend have to make severe sacrifices to compensate. It also has that spiel where everyone claims he is a hero for simply not dying after being blown up, all the while he doesn't feel like a hero for that very reason. Overall, I would recommend this film to those that like good acting and above average writing.
½ March 13, 2018
outstanding performance by Gyllenhaal, and some wonderful ensemble work.
½ March 5, 2018
My emotions while watching this film ranged from mildly uncomfortable to extremely uncomfortable, never leaving that range. I understand that most viewers found this to be an inspiring story of overcoming adversity, but I had a hard time rooting for anyone in the film. Almost every major character disgusted me at one point or another. Something terrible happened to them, and they were terrible about how they dealt with it, and by the end of the film, I did not feel that anyone had accomplished anything, they had just stopped being terrible, which I suppose is an accomplishment in itself. I cannot say that I would have handled anything better if it were me, nor can I say that any of their reactions were not understandable, human, or genuine, but I am left wondering what the point of this movie was. I didn't feel inspired; I felt sad and disgusted. I'm not really proud of anyone in the film, just sorry for them. At the end, I was happy for them that the worst of it was finally over, and happy for myself that I could finally leave the theater and put the whole gross experience behind me.
February 26, 2018
A solid performance by Jake, and a very different view of the incident compared to Patriots Day (which was also excellent). More about human failure and how you can get past it. Well worth a watch.