Stronger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stronger Reviews

January 19, 2018
Just seen. Best movie Ive seen in years.
½ January 19, 2018
The film works because the characters act like real people rather than movie ciphers.
½ January 15, 2018
3.5/5.0 stars - Grade: B
January 15, 2018
an awesome story that isnt shy to show a true story of someone coping with a severe trauma and becoming better because of it
January 14, 2018
I read the book but the movie really portrays just how tough life was for Jeff, Erin, and his mom Patty. My heart goes out to all three of them.
½ January 13, 2018
you don't owe me anything..

Stronger

Breeding the suffer and relinquishing the hope in some heartbreaking scene; Jake Gyllenhaal breathes Jeff Bauman's life, with the help of David's wide vision and John's tight adaptation which tears you down instead of cringing on the seat.
½ January 13, 2018
It's largely a character piece, but the character isn't that likable. It's a mildly interesting look into the character's life, but not interesting enough.
½ January 12, 2018
Great Great film. Why didnt this get nominated for anything? Acted wonderfully and just a great story.
½ January 10, 2018
Slow, emotional, and effective.
January 10, 2018
A touching true story and a totally impressive acting showcase of Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger is a dramatic survival movie which succeeds to escape the melodramatic cliches and to become an inspirational movie.
The movie tells the story of Jeff Bauman, a survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing who loses his two legs, but finds his way to not only return to life, but also to grow-up as a person and to become a source of inspiration for others. John Pollono's delivery is a restrained, tensed and yet down-to-earth movie which depicts the life of young and troubled person who is also yet to re-discover himself.
None of this would have happened if it was not for the duo Tatiana Maslany and Jake Gyllenhaal. The former is vulnerable and tender, while the latter is mesmerisingly convincing. Speaking of Gyllenhaal, it is really remarkable what a rounded actor he has become. Stronger is another brilliant showcase of his ability to play weirdos or troubled persons and he perfectly fits Jeff Bauman's character.
In conclusion, Stronger is one of the very well made dramas which will please with its subtle and humble approach, which lacks the annoying melodrama and remains down-to-earth story which in the end will inspire you.
½ January 9, 2018
Except for that motivational speech from the guy at the baseball stadium the movie was inspirational and realistic. It's amazing how people can support eachother and be selfish at the same time.
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Aunque siempre resulta positivo ver historias motivadoras, Stronger no es más que otro film que vanagloria el espíritu nacionalista estadounidense.
January 5, 2018
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this film. Stronger is based on the true life story of Boston Marathon bombing survivor Jeff Bauman. I expected the film to be corny and full of schmaltz. Instead it felt true and realistic and gave us a flawed hero who was far from perfect. This is due to the tremendous performance delivered by Jake Gyllenhaal who shows his range again with an edgy, gritty display that doesn't shy away from his weaknesses and faults. All around the performances are great giving this film a true emotional base that is not manipulative but honest and real.
January 5, 2018
Better than expected. Gyllenhaal is phenomenal, as usual. Could have done with less of the "love story" aspect, but it worked.
January 5, 2018
A good drama about the pains and struggle of returning to life after a tragic attack. Hehas to learn the very basics of living again. Very intense but great watch.
½ January 3, 2018
Guy is depicted as a bum and he never actually turns the corner. Jake can only do so much.
½ January 2, 2018
Alcanza a mejorar un poco por el papel de Jake Gyllenhaal, de resto es una historia aburrida, nacionalista, clásica yanqui, sobre la recuperación de Jeff Bauman, una especie de "White trash", quien perdió ambas piernas tras el atentado en la maratón de Boston.
½ January 2, 2018
You get what you expect here: there aren't any surprises. Other than some gratuitous nudity, this is just a tasteful re-telling of a national tragedy that brought the American people together. I learned to appreciate the day-to-day difficulties of an amputee that I normally wouldn't think about, like the danger of falling off the toilet when reaching for tissue.

Also, at some point, we all just have to accept that Jake Gyllenhaal deserves an Oscar.
½ January 2, 2018
Maybe the rating was so high that i was a bit disappointed.

i just rate it 70 mark as it is not good enough in my mind, though the story is touching and pity.
December 30, 2017
A brilliant film who expose the aftermath of such a traumatism, but not just on the victim but also on the people around him. The acting was so powerful, especially from Jake Gyllenhaal and Tatiana Maslany. You really feel everything they are going through intensely!