Suburbicon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suburbicon Reviews

February 24, 2018
Not sure why all the negative reviews. Yes, it was dark. And fairly predictable. But there were several plot twists... and that kept us interested. My only real complaint is that it seemed as though a lot of the movie may have been left on the cutting room floor. There were some plot lines that could have been a little more in depth. The 1 star reviews are obviously from elitist jerk critics that feel if it's not an academy award winner... it's not worth their time.
½ February 23, 2018
Very different. I was surprised at every turn
February 21, 2018
Went into this movie not knowing about the Meyers family and had they not been a part of the film would have drastically changed the overall feel of the movie (and a way better score).

The Meyer family and their turmoil just seemed to be a scab at an issue not addressed nor given just attention to.

That being said, the movie was generically enjoyable outside of this flinching addition. It was a decent meal with a bad after-taste that wouldn't be washed out.

The rating could not be helped by the cavalier attitude toward something needlessly entertained but poorly executed. 1/5
February 18, 2018
The darker side of the suburbs. So the year is 1959, and a family has just experienced a home invasion. Things may not be exactly as they seem, and the very white neighborhood that they live in begins to self-destruct when the first black family moves in. Even from the trailer from this, I could tell this had a Coen brothers flair to it. While they aren't behind the camera (it's George Clooney), they did pen the script to this, so of course it had my interest. Suburbicon bombed so hard at the box office that it was already out of theaters when I went to go look for a show time. I had to wait for the home market, and while I appreciated bits and pieces of this, it is not too hard to see why this failed. While Clooney is doing his best Coen impression, the fact remains that his last name is not Coen. When you break it down, you can kind of see why the Coens didn't want to direct this, because it is kind of all over the place. It really is these two different movies that are spliced together, but only intersect on rare occasions. The much more interesting story is this sordid family affair, but we keep cutting away to these angry white people losing their minds to the point of inciting riots, and they don't exactly complement each other. The acting is decent in this, and Oscar Isaac is excellent like he usually is in a very small part, but the thing about Suburbicon is that everybody in this is a terrible person with dark secrets. Everyone is unlikable, and that is when it hit me: you're not actually supposed to be able to relate to anyone here. That way, when there are rather large repercussions, you don't really mind because they actually deserve it when you break it down. This is satire to be sure, but when I got to the end of the film, I'm really not sure what it was saying or even what the point was if I am being honest. Everybody is horrible and needs to die? I suppose. I would never call Suburbicon a successful movie, but it did keep my attention, and there were a few things that I did like throughout, which was largely due to the Coen's writing. This isn't really a movie I can say that you need to rush out and watch, unfortunately.
February 18, 2018
Well, it wasn't a great movie but it wasn't all that bad. Had good acting at least. I'd watch anything with Matt Damon in it. I could've enjoyed it more if I hadn't already known what was going on from the beginning.
February 17, 2018
Was close to going 3.5* so this is a higher 3* for me. Would have liked to have seen one of the other plot lines explored in greater detail.
February 16, 2018
Not sure what you all were thinking..this movie is great
February 16, 2018
So many people are so wrong about this film.
½ February 16, 2018
I'll never get those 2 hours back.
½ February 16, 2018
Suburbicon essais d'aller dans divers thèmes mais ne parvient jamais à bien exploiter chacun d'entre eux et au final on as un peu l'impression de perdre le fil
February 15, 2018
This movie is as good as a hard piece of wood inserted in my brain!
The word "movie" is insulting!
Please do not waste your time on watching this thing!
February 13, 2018
So bad. So bad... I expected more.
½ February 13, 2018
A gripping film from beginning to end with one hell of plot twister you don't want to miss.
½ February 12, 2018
I liked it. Very different but kinda saw what was going to happen still the movie entertained me. Not a bad movie id watch it again.
February 11, 2018
A wonderful mixture of mystery-thriller-comedy-satire well balanced.
February 11, 2018
The movie would of been so much better if the two story lines intertwined at the end by letting the boy get the life insurance money. The last scene would be him and the black family sitting on the beach in Aruba.
February 10, 2018
Once again, I'm going to go against the majority on this one. I loved Suburbicon. The mood, themes and dark comedy were wonderful. Although it was there, I would have loved a stronger reference to Hitchcock throughout.
February 10, 2018
Coen brothers and Clooney production but somehow the finished product ends like a poor version of better movies. The actors seem to be thinking in other projects, the overall tone is very cruel without an apparent reason, the dark humor from the Coens is absent, the racial subplot doesn't add anything to the story. Not much to see here.
February 10, 2018
What was the purpose of black characters in this bland movie other than acceptance of today's political agenda ? This movie is boring piece of propaganda.
February 9, 2018
i hated this movie. It seemed really unfocused. This for me is one of those movies that disappoints me because it appears to have some interesting things to say, or ideas to explore. but it doesn't.