Suburbicon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suburbicon Reviews

July 18, 2018
The plot was cleverly executed and the characters were casted well. noah jupe was brilliant. i'm not sure why it's getting all these bad reviews, but the movie kept me wanting to watch (although what was going ot happen was a bit too predictable). Great take on racism, family dysfunction, black satire. Loved it!
½ July 17, 2018
The worst movie I have ever seen. I was so excited to see this film. The trailer makes it seem like Matt Damons character got mixed up with the mob and goes to get revenge for his murdered wife. The movie is instead about an a-hole who hires the mob to kill his wife for the insurance money so he can abandon his kid and run off with his wifes sister but his plan ends up going all wrong. Then there's the completely unconnected subplot of a black family being tormented by the town. I kept thinking some how this was all going to come together at the end, but it doesn't and I should have just left the theater half way through the film.
July 16, 2018
Sure the whole 1950's themed movie about racism has been beaten to death. but honestly, I don't understand the hate around this movie at all. It was fantastic! it was clever, had twists and turns and even touched upon racial themes.
July 7, 2018
Now although this film doesn't have the humorous edge a Coen brothers film has, it is easy to see its origin. I enjoyed the film, despite the bad reviews.
July 7, 2018
Satirical murder mystery which entertains and works well
July 4, 2018
Watched the film on Netflix and quite enjoyed it. I usually agree with critics but I feel as if this film should have been higher on the ratings board. My only issue is that they did not spend enough time on each scene and character to really give the audience any emotional connection. The subplot about the black family could have been better. Either give them more screen time or just cut them out entirely. Dig deeper into the relationships of Matt Damon and his wife/wife's twin and dont reveal the plot against the crippled wife so soon. Good movie just needed a bit more in my opinion.
½ July 2, 2018
Light and enjoyable.
June 27, 2018
For me, more a thrilling story than a comedy, but in any case, good example of Coen dark humour.
June 27, 2018
I can't help thinking that reviewers that are giving poor reviews of this movie are doing so for political reasons. I was rather surprised that the racial part of the movie, was based on a real incident in Levittown, Pa in the 1950s. I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns of the movie and thought the acting was excellent. Likewise the cinematography exudes the (false) innocence of 1950s America, reminding me of Blue Velvet. Kudos to the acting by the young boy, who doesn't understand the odd behavior of his father and aunt, and ignores the transformation of the town into a racist mob. There are a number of twists in the movie with the lessn that being greedy isn't a good thing. Of course, one cannot watch the movie without thinking about the politics of present day America,.
½ June 26, 2018
Holy crap this is garbage
June 4, 2018
Clooney tratando de hacer una Coen movie, el resultado no es tan satisfactorio.
May 27, 2018
The main plot of Suburbicon - an inferior reworking of Fargo - fails to rise above predictability but has some effective moments of black comedy and tension. Meanwhile, a side story about race riots triggered by a black family moving into an all-white neighbourhood feels disconnected and under-served.
½ May 25, 2018
This twisted story of a murder/con job gone bad might have worked if it weren't for the wretched overlay of the politically motivated subplot - a black family moves into an all white neighborhood. Another sad attempt to address a supply and demand problem - the supply of real racism is far outstripped by the left's demand for racism. So here again we'll create some and reinforce the false narrative that the suburbs are full of racist white people. This ship still might have sailed were it not for the over the top portrayal of a white community so rabidly racist even the deep south in the 1950s would be hard pressed to top it. I love the Coen Brothers but this one falls flat.
May 22, 2018
I enjoyed this. I don't know what all the fuzz is about. It definitely deserves a better rating. While there may be shortcomings in the character development, the execution wasn't as bad as I expected (I read the reviews first). As far as I'm concerned, the lead character was the little boy, and they did a hell of a job to get it right.
May 17, 2018
I like Clooney's portrayal of a 50's suburbia, I think it works, I was entertained by it.
April 28, 2018
I can clearly see I am in the minority here, but...Bravo!!! I loved this film. It was so predictable each step of the way, and it didn't even matter that I knew what was coming. I do, however, have to take points away for the subplot. It was a poignant subplot, but I didn't feel that it tied into the main storyline quite well enough.
½ April 25, 2018
No one wants to see Matt Damon as the villan.
April 24, 2018
A dark satire with a few dark comedic elements involving two seemingly unconnected plot points: 1) racism. 2) white privilege. The only thing connecting the two story lines is the two innocent boys who are neighbors.-who are the real victims of their tragic circumstances brought about by the greedy & deceitful adults who make up their world. A well-acted satire where, in the end, tdespite all the despicable deeds being done, the two boys show there is hope for a future where skin color doesn't matter. I enjoyed the satirical twists throughout the movie and the 'Leave it to Beaver' feel of the 1950s projected on the surface but with very sinister underpinnings. While, likely, not what Clooney meant to convey, my take-away is that white privilege isn't all what it's cracked up to be. I can't imagine anyone wanting to "fit in" or switch places with the seemingly white privileged neighbors next door where the man of the house maintains his white privilege status by being in hock up to his eyeballs to the mob resulting in their goons going after the man's family-what some white folks won't do to "keep up with the Jonses' in their hood. So much for "white privilege!" Fake people leading fake lives-" yeah, let's move in and integrate into that world, honey'" said no sane or moral person ever if they knew what they didn't know before making that decision.

That said, I would have changed-up the story a bit to provide another satirical twist where, unbeknownst to everyone, the white auntie & the black dad next door were responsible for offing Matt Damon, taking all the insurance money & running off to Aruba, leaving the white boy with the black Mom to raise as her own, with her marrying the uncle & raising the two boys as brothers in the end. Would've tied the two storylines together nicely & would've stuck the middle finger up at the hateful white community too boot!
½ April 23, 2018
Can I give less than 1/2 a star? GOOD GRIEF! I wasted 2+ hours of my life AND $5 renting this BOMB. Just horrible! I couldn't wait for them to die! I wanted to jump in and kill them myself (except for the poor son). What a DISTASTER! To Matt Damon & George Clooney: I WANT MY $5!!!!!! AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL Waste of time, money, film. GAG