Summer Pasture - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer Pasture Reviews

June 20, 2012
I'm finally catching up on all the Independent Lens shows that I have DVRd. Hail PBS! Thanks to this network and this film, I have nothing but total respect and admiration for the nomads of Tibet. I have been schooled on an area of the world I didn't know much about, and am in awe of the hard work and patience that one Tibetan woman, Yama, demonstrates on a day in, day out basis.
½ June 4, 2012
Wonderfully humbling peek into Tibetan living. Can't wait to watch it again with my daughters.
September 23, 2011
my first, and probably only film in SIFF 2011, Summer Pasture is a priceless documentary in portraying (probably) a lost lifestyle, what with modernization pressuring people to seek a better livelihood in towns and cities. the couple on film, excellently showed us the harshness of their environment, and the difficult choices they had to make to make a better future for their infant daughter. the view where the yaks graze may be breathless, but new telephone poles and roads are never too far away at the next valley.
½ September 22, 2011
As natural as a mother napping while her babe suckles her breast, and just as extraordinary.
½ August 26, 2011
"Follow the yak's tail." I suddenly thought I'd never been camping. SUMMER PASTURE is a documentary about nomads living in Tibet, in a region where 40% of the population once lived a nomadic lifestyle, but in recent years 90% of these communities have settled in towns, due to economic modernization and pressure from China.

It follows one family grouping, consisting of 2 brothers and 3 sisters living in 3 separate tents, focusing one husband and wife and their infant daughter.

Aside from the gorgeous scenery, SUMMER PASTURE offers excellent characterization, and the husband and wife are brought to life as fully-realized characters. One the one hand they're leading a life few Americans (even thee livestock farmers) could imagine: picking up yak manure by hand, spreading it, drying it in the sun, and burning it (a labor that begins and closes the film, one of several demanding tasks). On the other hand they're using Johnson's Baby Wipes, contemplating death and bad health, and facing the seasons. Recommended!