The Sun Also Rises Reviews

• May 09, 2020

Hemingway an unhappy genius! Love him or don't what a telent. Tyrone Powers one of a few forgotten great American actors.

• May 09, 2016

A rivating and beautifully filmed rendition of the Hemingway classic. The bullfight scence is a classic. The cast, however, should have featured much younger actors.

• Jan 25, 2013

Bad adaptation of the book, but a great movie to see old Zorro (Tyrone Power) and old Robin Hood (Errol Flynn) sitting in the sun in Spain, enjoying life. And you see legendary Paramount producer Robert Evans as the young matador, the rest of the cast thought he sucked, but director Henry King wrote them a note saying 'the kid stays in the picture'. This is also the title of Evans' autobiography and his 2002 documentary on his own carreer.

• Aug 25, 2012

sad 2c flynn so bloated and drunkard which was basically himself by then

sad 2c flynn so bloated and drunkard which was basically himself by then

• May 31, 2012

Pretty good, but the book is so much better.

Pretty good, but the book is so much better.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Apr 11, 2012

A great cast cannot hide that most are 20 - 30 years older than Hemingway's reflection on damaged humanity pretending wholeness calls for. As well many of Hemingway's subtleties are neutered or cast away altogether. Still interesting ... especially Flynn's turn as basically himself - after the party's over.

• Mar 03, 2012

I didn't know Hemingway could be so dull.

I didn't know Hemingway could be so dull.

• Feb 18, 2012

Ok. Here's the thing. This movie may have been a faithful adaptation, but at just over two hours it felt like three. The pacing seemed to plod along, particularly in the beginning, and I'm just gonna say it- it's because Tyrone Power was extremely lackluster in his characterization. Errol Flynn is the true shining star in this picture and consequently the film really does pick up with a new breath of fresh air when he enters the story. If you can get thru the first half then the second will be quite refreshing. FLYNN!!!

• Jun 22, 2011

Femme Fatale Lady Brett (Eva Gardner)travels with an Entourage of Admirers, she enjoys a Love them & Leave Them lifestyle with Bullfighters, Millionaires, & the Poor Souls who follow her around the World just to be near her.Visually Stunning Locations & Events that include the Running with the Bulls in Spain & Bullfights.I Love this book & this Movie takes liberties, but I love this Movie too.

• Mar 12, 2011

What a boring movie! I don't even know how they drained all the life out of it when the book is the world's greatest soap opera. It's all steam cleaned and white washed for 50s audiences. There was none of the drunken gaiety over poorly suppressed hostility. Ava Gardener wasn't even pretty or sultry enough to justify the men falling all over her. I gave it one star for Errol Flynn and Eddie Albert. Flynn was delightful even when throwing a tantrum. I also gave it one star for the opening ceremony of the bullfight. I don't remember what imagery I got from the book but having never seen a bullfight and only seeing matadors in pictures, I was completely drawn in to the spectacle.