Sunshine State Reviews

• Jan 05, 2018

interesting film, well acted

interesting film, well acted

• Sep 22, 2015

This is a film that is filmed on Amelia Island. It looks at the community of Amelia Island. I found the movie rather boring. This film lacks the action. I found it more interesting finding where things are filmed around Amelia Island. This movie is about being endangered, times have changed, and things being not like they used to be. Shares some characteristics to the Island but the names have changed.

• Jun 16, 2015

Not one of Sayle's better efforts.Long and drawn out but well acted.Boy could they have sliced a bit of time off and picked up the pace.

• Mar 07, 2015

A film about what might have been with a great ensemble cast. I loved the chorus of the old guys playing golf.

• Apr 23, 2013

A1. Alan King monologues priceless.

A1. Alan King monologues priceless.

John B Super Reviewer
    Oct 30, 2012

John Sayles' component film is a disappointment only because we expect so much more from him. A good film on the pressures of community and the price that individuals are willing to pay to "sell out". Nonethless, we expect more.

• Dec 24, 2011

Multiple inter-related story lines, about values and the cost of progress

Multiple inter-related story lines, about values and the cost of progress

• Aug 31, 2011

It was a bit long, bit I thought it was mostly engaging. It had interesting messages about gentrification, race, and the thing everyday things that people go through in life. The dialogue is a little bit theatrical and quirky which I would expect from John sayles. Edie Falco is the stand out performer (when is she not?) and Angela Bassett and Jane Alexander have nice turns here as well. It feels timely in terms of it's themes of buying out small towns so people can develop properties, but now nearly ten years later many people can't pay their mortgages on those new and exciting properties.

• Jul 15, 2011

This is a great movie that centers on the tribulation of American beach, "the colored" beach founded by Abraham Lincoln Lewis, Florida's first black millionaire who also founded the Afro American Insurance Company. American Beach has substantial historical significance. It is the story of how powerful white financial developement interests subjugated a black community without penalty. Low points would be the movies failure to capture the colorful party flavor, the significant black middle class, the prejudicial law enforcement, the impact of intergration and the pride that marked the involvement of all that visited this subtropical paradise. High points would be the great acting in this movie and a really decent script. All in all this movie is decent and in order. It does however lack the action and romance that makes a good movie a good movie.Race and class are explored well by the writer but as it relates to the true dynamic of prejudice and hatred this area possessed, only the surface is scratched.benfrazier985@yahoo.com

• Brody M Super Reviewer
    Sep 03, 2010

The description was interesting but the actual movie was boring! After wanting to turn it off a couple times, I finally did