Superman III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman III Reviews

July 24, 2017
A boring, tiresome, tonal horror show that runs on at least 20-30 minutes too long with bumbling idiotic slap stick comedy. It's opening has nothing and I mean NOTHING relevant with the overall film, just a five minute piece of stupid comedy that doesn't fit. The villains are incredibly sub-par and feel almost direct to VHS/DVD territory, with Pryor the best part but so incredibly miscast and lost. Reeves is good and even plays the emotional range rather well, but the film itself has such a cheap and tacky feel towards itself and just resorts in ridiculous manner with every opportunity it had to rectify its mistakes. I will go so far and discount this as canon because it has no connective tissue, no fortress of solitude, no Lois lane and no mention of the previous films. Absolutely absurd.
July 24, 2017
Like the previous films this is one of two halves, in the first movie the action was divided between pre- and post-Metropolis with the second half being superior, in the sequel it was between two directors, one being better than the other. Here it is between good superhero drama and an over-indulgence in comedy elements. Like those previous films when the humour is based on good writing it works yet like them at least half the runtime still relies too heavily on set pieces that add nothing to the plot, it's just that this time around they are slapstick rather than action based so they are silly rather than exciting. Worse still this goofiness is rarely funny and it constantly undermines any drama that had been built up, especially as the villains are a major source of it (they are also annoying and their scheme is stupid, although the same can be said about the first movie). These parts are at least well directed and generally the two halves are kept together better than the first two entries by tighter plotting.
The stories for both Clark and Superman are good, the latter producing a third perfect character performance by Reeve, the former being a touching romance which continues the series' spot-on casting with O'Toole's delightful Lana Lang. It's a shame then that they are in a movie that doesn't seem to want to do them justice; the feeling that the character deserves to be treated as iconic and with verisimilitude is lost, making Superman III the worse of the franchise so far.
½ July 17, 2017
The first hour was quite good actually: hilarious slapstick title sequence, Pryor being a lot of fun even when overacting and various interesting plot threads coming together nicely despite the typically cartoonish villains and cringy computer talk. The second half is definitely inferior: bad Superman was quite a dysfunctional plot device even if Reeve pulled it off fine and the action was increasingly clunky. Overall not as bad as it's probably made out to be but not solid enough either.
½ July 11, 2017
Stupid, but not as bad as Superman 4
June 27, 2017
Let's just start off an a nice note in saying that this is one of the worst movies ever put into production. I wasted an hour and a half of my life watching this train-wreck of a movie. This movie is the Batman and Robin of the Superman franchise, which has never been the same since this nightmare. Although Christopher Reeves doesn't do a bad job as Superman, nothing else was even average in this movie. The villain was absolutely horrible. Wouldn't you think that Superman of all people could defeat a computer hacker pretty easily. Ever since seeing this movie I have never been able to think of Superman the same way. I bet even Aquaman could defeat the villain in this movie. The opening scene was so bad that I almost cried to think of what could follow. The entire movie was awful and truly was the death of the Superman movie franchise.

F
½ June 26, 2017
Lacked the charm that the first two had. Nothing new or special in the film and tried to be too funny.

4.9/10
½ June 13, 2017
I would like to see a movie about what happened to this movie a lot more than this movie itself, it's that bad. Seriously, what happened?
May 30, 2017
This film has been criminally underrated by people who have a pre-conceived notion of what a "Superman Movie" should be. I watched this as a young child and having seen it recently it's just as, if not more, delightful to watch. The world of this Superman movie revolves around the worlds' instincts of heroism, insecurities concerning self-worth, greed, and market-place disaster. Looking at the film from a perspective of a serious superhero flick will not quench your thirst for romantic action, but if you watch it for the unique little universe it creates for itself where citizens are at the mercy of each other's talents, then the you'll see it not as a comedy, but a strangely smart take on the quirks of superhero folklore: the comedy is a positive side-effect of this.
½ May 26, 2017
There are some genuinely great moments in this movie and there's certainly much fun to be had. However, it's contrasting tones, wackier plot contrivances and some cheaper looking effects make it a definite step down and less believable than the first two movies.
May 20, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I love ol' Richard, but he is like, 80% of the movie. Plus, the special effects are BAD. Like, REALLY BAD.
½ May 9, 2017
This was more of a Richard Pryor comedy than a Superman movie which isn't necessarily bad.
April 27, 2017
guilty pleasure from childhood loved the fight between clark and superman the sequence was good but we all new from the start that the films were going to be a slap stick mess
½ March 20, 2017
Superman III is largely boring as the majority of the film finds Reeves as just Clark or a depressed Superman. Kidder is pushed to the side, and O'Toole is a decent replacement but lacks a great story - as do the villains.
March 16, 2017
Story was bad, but I liked it anyway!
March 15, 2017
I have to give it three stars because I really enjoyed this as a kid and it was good to watch it again, but boy did this movie suck. I'll always enjoy Reeve's Clark Kent and seeing him in the costume will always make me feel like a kid again. 3/5
March 2, 2017
A solid sequel that's better than the poor excuse for a movie that followed it.
January 18, 2017
a lot better then people give it credit for but compared to the first two it's not very good
January 12, 2017
Not that bad, very campy
December 26, 2016
Boring fusion of unnecessary slapstick and lack of consistency
December 25, 2016
Richard Pryor is a computer nerd who inspires the scheme in Office Space. Definitely more adult in message as Superman becomes one bad hombre. This film contained one of the first scenes which terrified me as a child (the end when the computer turned the bull-dyke into a cyborg). This sequel is actually a bit more high-concept than it is given credit as Superman faces himself in an all-out schizophrenic battle. I never think of this as a Richard Pryor film, per se, but this may one of his best. The funnest of the bunch.