Superman III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman III Reviews

½ May 21, 2018
This is probably the worst Superman movie ever made. THe only saving grace was Clark's scenes with Lana. Everything else is just a train wreck. However, I am surprised that this movie doesn't have way more memes made from it.
May 18, 2018
This movie is also dead to me.
May 13, 2018
I liked the movie I liked the dark side of Superman The actress who played wool Lang What I did not like was the last villain that is a WTF computer I did not like the beginning of the movie, but the rest is fine, the final boss is trash
½ March 27, 2018
One of the 10 worst movies I have ever seen. I literally watched this vulgarity with my mouth open from the credits through to the end. My lips parting a little bit more with each passing preposterous, stupid, ridiculous, dumb, awful scene. The only positive thing I can say about it is the idea of Superman fighting Clark Kent is genius, and Christopher Reeve looks badass as "Evil" Superman. That's it. This film is an offense to Superman, to cinema, Christopher Reeve, Richard Pryor, and humanity.
March 26, 2018
Why? Just why did they have to make such a terrible part III for this terrific trilogy? A huge disappointment.
March 7, 2018
Bringing nothing new to the table, Superman III completely wastes the talent of Richard Pryor and rehashes tired plot points from first two movies. The special effects look fake, even by 80's standards, and most of the humor is bad.
February 3, 2018
Not as bad as the one that's follows, but nowhere near as good as the two before. Superman III is not a good movie at all, not even a little bit. But the drunk Superman gif makes it all worth it.
January 16, 2018
Richard Pryor is never fully utilized in this film, playing a reluctant villain he comes across as superman's buddy, his comic genius lends to some funny parts but oh what could have been. The script is poorly written and strange unlikely scenarios that do not match the technology of the day to anyone who is remotely savvy, perhaps the audience in the 80's were more gullible. However, this film highlights Christopher Reeves incredible acting chops when he portrays "evil" superman whose character was altered by the artificial Kryptonite. He not only differentiates himself from Superman/Kent but Evil/Good Superman. The result is astounding and a much see for any superman fan. Evil superman is a delight to watch. His drinking binge and subsequent depressed, angry and vandalizing superman is unmatched on the screen. Although this film is clearly inferior to the others, this scene alone makes it worth the watch.
½ November 21, 2017
Bad, not Superman 4 bad, but pretty bad.
November 17, 2017
Screw what people say about this, it was Awesome, Funny, It has its Action, Richard Pryor was charismatic as Gus Gorman & the Dynamic between Evil Superman & Clark Kent worked really well, that junkyard fight scene is one of the best, if not the best fight scene in any Superman film. Lana Lang played by the actress who plays Clark's mom in Smallville had amazing chemistry with Christopher Reeve. I loved Ross Webster, the perfect replacement for Lex Luther. This film gives us Bizarro & Brainaic but without mentioning those names, seeing Superman fight a Brainiac like computer toward the end was different, what more could you ask for? It wasn't as good as 1 & 2 which are all 5 stars but this film wasn't afraid to be different & take risks. Superman already saved 3 people 15 minutes into this film, strong Metropolis atmosphere. I can go back & watch this at anytime. This was a SUPERHERO MOVIE! 9/10
October 15, 2017
Flat out AWFUL in every way. Evil Superman and the junkyard scene were great but deserved a better movie.
½ September 28, 2017
There are some genuinely great moments in this movie and there's certainly much fun to be had. However, it's contrasting tones, wackier plot contrivances and some cheaper looking effects make it a definite step down and much less believable than the first two movies.
jamrcla
½ September 25, 2017
Awful movie from start to finish full of terrible gags, Poor acting and dialogue, The plot was so bad, When you cast Richard Prior to play one of the bad guys you know it's going to be so uneven and it was, Poor effects and there was little action, I did like it when Superman turned evil but that got ruined by some stupid and confusing scenes, So many plot holes I gave up caring what was going to happen next, The ending was one of the worst I've seen, Avoid if possible.
½ August 21, 2017
This film has been criminally underrated by people who have a pre-conceived notion of what a "Superman Movie" should be. I watched this as a young child and having seen it recently it's just as, if not more, delightful to watch. The world of this Superman movie revolves around the worlds' instincts of heroism, insecurities concerning self-worth, greed, and market-place disaster. Looking at the film from a perspective of a serious superhero flick will not quench your thirst for romantic action, but if you watch it for the unique little universe it creates for itself where citizens are at the mercy of each other's talents, then the you'll see it not as a comedy, but a strangely smart take on the quirks of superhero folklore: the comedy is a positive side-effect of this.
July 24, 2017
A boring, tiresome, tonal horror show that runs on at least 20-30 minutes too long with bumbling idiotic slap stick comedy. It's opening has nothing and I mean NOTHING relevant with the overall film, just a five minute piece of stupid comedy that doesn't fit. The villains are incredibly sub-par and feel almost direct to VHS/DVD territory, with Pryor the best part but so incredibly miscast and lost. Reeves is good and even plays the emotional range rather well, but the film itself has such a cheap and tacky feel towards itself and just resorts in ridiculous manner with every opportunity it had to rectify its mistakes. I will go so far and discount this as canon because it has no connective tissue, no fortress of solitude, no Lois lane and no mention of the previous films. Absolutely absurd.
July 24, 2017
Like the previous films this is one of two halves, in the first movie the action was divided between pre- and post-Metropolis with the second half being superior, in the sequel it was between two directors, one being better than the other. Here it is between good superhero drama and an over-indulgence in comedy elements. Like those previous films when the humour is based on good writing it works yet like them at least half the runtime still relies too heavily on set pieces that add nothing to the plot, it's just that this time around they are slapstick rather than action based so they are silly rather than exciting. Worse still this goofiness is rarely funny and it constantly undermines any drama that had been built up, especially as the villains are a major source of it (they are also annoying and their scheme is stupid, although the same can be said about the first movie). These parts are at least well directed and generally the two halves are kept together better than the first two entries by tighter plotting.
The stories for both Clark and Superman are good, the latter producing a third perfect character performance by Reeve, the former being a touching romance which continues the series' spot-on casting with O'Toole's delightful Lana Lang. It's a shame then that they are in a movie that doesn't seem to want to do them justice; the feeling that the character deserves to be treated as iconic and with verisimilitude is lost, making Superman III the worse of the franchise so far.
½ July 17, 2017
The first hour was quite good actually: hilarious slapstick title sequence, Pryor being a lot of fun even when overacting and various interesting plot threads coming together nicely despite the typically cartoonish villains and cringy computer talk. The second half is definitely inferior: bad Superman was quite a dysfunctional plot device even if Reeve pulled it off fine and the action was increasingly clunky. Overall not as bad as it's probably made out to be but not solid enough either.
½ July 11, 2017
Stupid, but not as bad as Superman 4
June 27, 2017
Let's just start off an a nice note in saying that this is one of the worst movies ever put into production. I wasted an hour and a half of my life watching this train-wreck of a movie. This movie is the Batman and Robin of the Superman franchise, which has never been the same since this nightmare. Although Christopher Reeves doesn't do a bad job as Superman, nothing else was even average in this movie. The villain was absolutely horrible. Wouldn't you think that Superman of all people could defeat a computer hacker pretty easily. Ever since seeing this movie I have never been able to think of Superman the same way. I bet even Aquaman could defeat the villain in this movie. The opening scene was so bad that I almost cried to think of what could follow. The entire movie was awful and truly was the death of the Superman movie franchise.

F
½ June 26, 2017
Lacked the charm that the first two had. Nothing new or special in the film and tried to be too funny.

4.9/10