Superman vs. The Elite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman vs. The Elite Reviews

½ September 28, 2016
Animation is ok, don't know all other characters, but brought a valid point of killing bad guys. Sups somehow becomes really powerful at the end, needs more explaining
June 20, 2016
A great adaption of one of the best Superman stories (and in my opinion surpassing it), it's action packed, while still being a high-minded story for a superhero film. Definitely the best Superman cartoon movie to date and something I'd recommend even to people who dislike the big blue boy-scout.
½ May 31, 2016
This was my first Superman cartoon film and it was pretty cool! Really displays what Superman and his philosophy is all about perfectly and sets it in a post 9/11 world among the mentality of fear and vengeance at all costs. Superman, a man of hope, justice, and peace knows a better way. This was a good preface to the DCCU to see how Superman really should be. It was recommended by a friend and I'm glad I watched it.
April 8, 2016
I really liked this movie, it's Superman how he should be.
If only the animation was better.
½ April 2, 2016
This is exactly what this series of animated movies was designed for; a mature and brave take on superheroics. It's surprising and welcome to see a 'versus' film that pits moral philosophies against each other rather than powers, although there's plenty of action, and to see one that argues for the obsolete nature of the protagonist. Or does it?
February 8, 2016
Watched once. I'd watch again
October 18, 2015
It has a nice moral being brought into the spotlight from its source material plus the usual qualities and tastes in animated and voice-acting performances, it's another impressive feat from DC Comics, and another Superman movie with a meaning that the hero stands for while being challenged as the film's moral also brought up compelling points around the character. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
October 16, 2015
Very Original Superman Film It Has Very Good Fight Scenes And A Good Story
September 27, 2015
"Superman vs. The Elite" is a great little animated movie about the clash between the idealism of the past and the gritty reality of the Post-Modern world with Superman's refusal to kill unnecessarily being put to the test by the Elites, a group who believe might makes right and that killing evil is the only way to stop it. This is a movie that is very relevant to today and shows that, as Superman says, "Dreams save us" even, or perhaps especially, in the chaotic times we are living in now.
August 24, 2015
Superman is probably the superhero most difficult to give a compelling story, but this film succeeds because the conflict of his idealism vs Manchester Black's cynicism isn't a problem he can just punch away.
May 5, 2015
George Newbern is excellent at voicing Superman. Plus we get to see Superman stand up for what I think this world needs: good strong moralism
½ February 1, 2015
Superman yo te banco!
January 4, 2015
So-so story, but the sub par character designs and voice acting really put me off. Not much else to say.
½ October 9, 2014
I rated it right in the middle. No matter how good the story is, and it is a welcome storyline ala Judge Dredd, this is the worst Bruce Timm-produced animation I've ever seen. It's so bad, it takes away from the viewing experience. Please, Bruce...don't use that company again. I like my characters to have eyeballs. And why Superman's face had to be so badly shaped, I have no idea.
October 8, 2014
"Superman vs. the Elite" isn't entirely successful in its discussions on politics and the price of power, but it's a decent superhero story. The story concerns a new group of superhero vigilantes that call themselves "The Elite". Manchester Black (voiced by Robin Atkin Downes), Coldcast (voiced by Catero Colbert), Menagerie (voiced by Melissa Disney) deal with supervillains their way: by killing them. The world seems to embrace these new heroes and shun Superman (voiced by George Newbern) as "old fashioned" and "cheesy". The conflicting ideals of these heroes pit them against each other.
The quality of the animation varies from excellent to just ok and while most of the story seems grounded in semi-reality, with the fantasy and "comic-bookiness" being reduced to create parallels to our world, a scene with giant mutant insect tanks is really glaring and doesn't fit the tone of the story. What works is the chemistry between Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane (voiced by Pauley Perrette), the themes and ideas brought up by the conflicts and the discussions between our characters spread throughout the film. Adults that are familiar with the debate, which essentially is that of whether or not the death penalty should be a form of punishment, will find that they don't last long enough but it's refreshing to see the film take a stand on an issue it really believes in and stick with it. For younger audiences that haven't seen this material before, this is a good starting point and a way to generate some great conversation. Superman believes that killing is wrong under any circumstances, but he's also nearly invulnerable so does he really grasp the danger these villains he goes up against regularly really pose? To what extent is it ok to interfere with another country's politics and disagreements when you have the power to do so? If it is ok to take the life of another person, who judges how much is enough?
When accompanied with the special features and commentary the film is a more complete experience and a lot more satisfying than just the feature by itself so it's preferable to set a generous amount of time aside and enjoying the special features immediately after to complement the faults of the film. The film is only ok by itself, mostly because it doesn't really have as much bite as you wish it would considering the themes, but it's worth your while. (On Blu-ray, September 29, 2012)
July 30, 2014
Based on the What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way? Superman arc by Joe Kelly (who turned this story into a screenplay as well), this one is precisely the Supes movie the audience who has fallen out of love with the character needs and deserves. Not only is it one of Superman's darkest tales, but it's a great representation of why the Man of Steel's "antiquated" ways are really timeless and necessary. It's a very Punk Rock DC film about heroism and it really delivers.
July 27, 2014
love DC animated films
July 21, 2014
GREAT story for the Man of Steel! Something they really should consider taking to the big screen!
June 16, 2014
one of the strongest superman stories is well told. The animation is poorly done but the story contains enough morel questions (many without definitive answers) to make even adults stop and think.
½ June 10, 2014
eh, it was okay, but overall disappointing. the comic was waaaay better.