Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Reviews

• 2d ago

It's Saw meets Mamma Mia

It's Saw meets Mamma Mia

• Feb 10, 2020

Very nice cinematography, funny song lyrics, and a good plot. It was also really fun to see Johnny Debb play a barber and have to sing, his voice wasn't the most pleasurable to hear at times but that doesn't effect the overall movie much.

• matthew t
    Feb 02, 2020

Good but INSANELY bloody, way more gore than your average horror movie

Good but INSANELY bloody, way more gore than your average horror movie

• Jan 30, 2020

4.5/5. There's one musical number I don't care for, but beyond that this movie is a masterpiece. The acting and style are fantastic with excellent gore and a fascinating story.

• Jan 20, 2020

For a fairly enjoyable, yet gory story, the music is what stole the show for me!

• Jan 13, 2020

A Tim Burton masterpiece. This was one of my first introductions into the movie musicals. A great retelling of a Victorian-era tale. Loved the acting, dedication to the original legend, and story. Acting and character development held strong in this movie. One of the few films where I understand and emphasize which each character. Actors did an amazing job. Ending resonated with me far after the end credits. Murder scenes were a bit overdone and bloody. Felt queasy at times but enjoyed Burton's mastery of color. Red blood contrasted sharply from the black and grey palette of the entire movie. 4.5/5. This made it on my list of favorites. Enjoyable and a must-watch for musical lovers. Only hope y'all have a strong stomach.

• Dec 29, 2019

I'm not, as a rule, a fan of musicals. However, I enjoyed every moment of this darkly comedic cult classic. The chemistry between Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter is terrific, the blood and gore are ridiculously over-the-top, and the songs are great.

• Dec 27, 2019

Sondheims watered down score matched with cheap effects makes for a pretty bland product. I'm not keen of the stage version and I'm certainly not invested in the movie. The casting is probably the best part, but they can't make up for the sloppy character development presented in the script.

• Dec 23, 2019

It is much more of a musical than one might have expected!

It is much more of a musical than one might have expected!

• Nov 19, 2019

This was truly one of the WORST renditions of a classic musical I have ever seen. First off....really Tim Burton? You do realize that other actors besides Johnny Depp et. al. exist right? You dont have to cast the SAME PEOPLE in everything you direct. Its very off putting to see non-singers cast in a musical and weakly struggle through the original songs, it sucks all the life out of them. The entire mood of the movie is classic Tim Burton but isn't really true to Sweeney Todd as a whole. Everything is dark and gothic and the comedy is MISSING. Where is the comedy? The entire song "the worst pies in london" was boring. Helena looked bored, we were bored and she didn't even look at Sweeney Todd during the number. This is so incredibly poor. Cast, quality of the music (bad singing), the general feel of the movie is so dark that you dont get to appreciate the nuances. Poor.