Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Reviews

• Feb 11, 2021

A brilliant adaptation by Burton, with stellar performances as usual from regulars Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, along with newcomer Alan Rickman. The songs are faithful to the original, and the bellowing score feels as if the devil himself embedded chaos and unholy power. Another great Sondheim, and the visuals and sets look stunning.

• Feb 04, 2021

A filthy peasant goes on a murderous rampage because a judge woos his wife away from him. Bay-duh!!

• Jan 12, 2021

Burton, Depp and Bonham Carter back on fine form with Sondheim's bloodthirsty musical adaptation. Benjamin vows to seek revenge from the judge who framed him for a crime he did not commit. In order to do so, he reopens his barbershop and begins murdering his customers with a razor. Depp shines as the titular barber, while Bonham Carter adds humour to the brooding atmosphere. Jamie Campbell Bower adds charm, while Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall play twisted villains brilliantly. The only bad thing is that the female characters have nothing to do except stand/sit there and sing one or two songs. BUT... brilliant music and songs, phenomenal acting, superb direction and very bloody. Bloody brilliant. My all-time favourite film.

• Jan 12, 2021

interesting story, shame about the musical that I don't like

interesting story, shame about the musical that I don't like

• Nov 27, 2020

This is a definite must-watch movie if you're into darkness and musicals. I have never been a fan of musicals myself, but I saw the trailer of this adaptation by Tim Burton, and I just had to check it out. And I'm so glad I did. It is now easily one of my favourite movies. Everything from the visuals to the casting to the overall setting is truly wonderful. I have always loved the relationship between Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp in films together, and this one was absolutely no exception to that. Their chemistry on-screen was nothing short of astounding, and truly magnificent to witness. I absolutely adore this film, I will definitely be watching it every Halloween, Christmas, Easter, birthday- all year round really 😂 any excuse to watch this and I'll take it. I've watched it twice in the space of a couple of days already, and asked for the DVD for Christmas 😂. I'd rate it 11/10 if I could- exceptional dark and creepy musical at its finest, and brilliantly executed production and directed by Tim Burton as always. Loved every minute of it.

• Oct 28, 2020

I never get tired of re-watching this. Possibly my favorite Burton film. If you're used to the broadway version and you haven't seen this before, don't go into it expecting a broadway musical. It's more of just a Burton style thriller, with singing.

• Sep 19, 2020

My favourite movie of all time. The music, casting, and cinematography is just incredible.

• Sep 15, 2020

Its a film I would need to watch more than once to really get an opinion on it. Initial thoughts - It looks beautiful. I like the story, The biggest issue for me are the songs, most are simply not that good. Maybe watching it a few times they would grow on me, but unlike other musicals they are not instantly recognisable as chart topping songs.

• Sep 11, 2020

i usually don't like musicals but this is one of the few I found very enjoyable, plus it seems like most of the world loves it. if you haven't seen it, you should check it out

• Aug 25, 2020

Today's Viewing: "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street". Directed By The Legendary Tim Burton, This 2007 Musical Slasher Is Based On The 1979 Broadway Musical Of The Same Name By American Composer Stephen Sondheim (Who Was Known For His Writing The Lyrics For "West Side Story" In 1957) & Hugh Wheeler. As For The Plot? Well It's 1846, & The Story Tells Of Benjamin Barker, A British Barber, Played By Johnny Depp, Who Adopts The Alias "Sweeney Todd" & Turns To Murdering His Customers With His Straight Razor After Being Falsely Convicted & Exiled By The Corrupt Judge Turpin, Played By The Late Alan Rickman, 15 Years Ago. As Our Title Character Kills More People For Revenge & Seeks For His Lost Daughter Johanna, His Accomplice, Mrs. Lovett, Played By Helena Bonham Carter, Turns Their Corpses Into Meat Pies. I'm Just Blown Away By This Experience. As Fucked-Up As It All Seems, It's A Riveting, Intriguing Story With A Great Cast, Great Songs & Music That Leaves You The Feeling That Tim Burton Has Done This Incredible Shit Before. The Style Is Heavy On The Dark, The Comedy Is Heavy On The Dark, It Show's Burton's Gruesome Style, & It's All Just Phenomenally Done As A Whole! Our Dynamic Duo: Depp & Carter Are What Make The Movie As Todd & Lovett, Their Singing Voices Really Stand Out In The Songs From The Original Musical, (...) But They're ALWAYS In Tim Burton Films! In Conclusion, "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street" Is Extremely Faithful To Its Source Material By Stephen Sondheim & Hugh Wheeler, & Yet It May Seem Like You're Watching Something In A Grand Guignol & Shit, But Tim Burton's Execution On This Filmed Adaptation Presents The Whole Story In A Way That Leaves You Knowing The Tim Burton We Used To Know; Meaning, Before His Days Of Crappy-Ass Remakes. I'd Definitely Check Out "Sweeney Todd", You Guys Are Really Missing Out.