Sweet Movie Reviews

• Apr 03, 2018

Eu não sei o que pensar sobre esse filme. Mas eu acho que não gostei.

Eu não sei o que pensar sobre esse filme. Mas eu acho que não gostei.

• Apr 30, 2017

*Inhale* Eeeeyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa xP

*Inhale* Eeeeyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa xP

• Sep 11, 2016

1/5 - bizarre beyond words

1/5 - bizarre beyond words

• Jun 10, 2016

Sweet Movie isn't as much a traditional "movie" as a series of artistic ideas and images presented in cinematic form, and what is shown still has the power to shock, disgust, and challenge viewers over 40 years after its initial release.Copious amounts of male frontal nudity, prepubescent boys being treated to an explicitly seductive striptease, graphic depictions of urination, defecation, and vomiting, and various forms of transgressive sexuality too numerous to mention; all of which are interwoven with real nazi war footage from WWII and presented through the lens of European political allegory, and it becomes apparent why scores of film historians have analyzed and criticized every frame of Sweet Movie, and why it has been banned in so many countries. Physically and psychically taxing to the actors involved, Sweet Movie should be seen by any fan of subversive cinema or anyone interested in recalibrating their own moral compass.

• Sep 24, 2015

Painfully dull and predicated upon a simple premise worthy of a first-year film major's angrily self-indulgent diary entry, Sweet Movie doesn't seem to understand the fact that you do not earn profundity through empty transgressive nonsense. It is not brave to simply revel in the depths of human depravity if you're not going to attempt to make a larger connection to society as a whole (and no, obvious, limp attempts at satire aimed at society's forms of governmental ideology do not fulfill this requirement). Contrary to that boring school of thought rooted in the idea that a film is a success if it illicits any kind of response from an audience, anti-authoritarianism doesn't succeed on its own. If all you're going to present is repetitive, tedious, dull, puerile gags that get their point across in the first five minutes, you've done nothing except create a sophomoric venture into empty contrarianism. It is possible to deal with these themes effectively (Hanake's The Piano Teacher, for example, is an exceptional deconstruction of the oppressive nature of societal repression in a way this so desperately wants to be), but Makavejev doesn't seem to want to dig deep enough to hit this kind of ground. In the midst of all its gleeful taunting, I nearly fell asleep, only perking up to shake my head at the ignorance motivating the lazy and misguided scene involving an adult/child sexual interaction (other points of regressive ignorance can be found in its treatment of black people and its degradation of the female form). While I'm sure 19 year olds working their way through their intro-to-film classes will find this riveting, it left me entirely unimpressed, and the fact that it explicitly dares the audience to find it repulsive near the end so it can label you an oppressive slave to normative social mores is more insulting than anything else.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Aug 07, 2015

"Sweet Movie" is a scattershot and surreal satirical film that throughout makes a valid point that sex really isn't that big a deal and certainly nothing to get worked up about. That illuminating thought begins with the inspired madness that is the Miss World Virginity Pageant, before including depictions of every sexual kink known to man, woman and other. And then just to insure that none of us will ever have an erection again(or the female equivalent), documentary footage is included of bodies being uncovered from the Katyn Massacre site.

• Apr 18, 2015

THIS Film is one of the more disturbing and off the wall films I've EVER Seen. That's saying a lot from me. 1970's =Crazy movies

• Jan 02, 2015

one of the most depraved movies I've ever seen, and that's part of its charm. There is something to offend everyone here and it is so obviously a product of the cinema of the early 1970's. I remember reading Time magazine's panning review of this movie as a child and thinking "I must see this movie." The oddest bit for me is seeing John Vernon involved in something like this.

• Nov 16, 2014

One of the craziest, weirdest, fudged up and let's not forget zany, films I've ever seen. It makes me like it that much more.

• Sep 04, 2014

Evoked feelings ranging from sadness to outright revulsion!

Evoked feelings ranging from sadness to outright revulsion!