The Swimmer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Swimmer Reviews

April 17, 2016
I can't stand every aspect of this. I hate the 1960's. I hate 1960's film stock and production values. I hate people. I hate pools. I hate this dialogue. The concept is okay I guess.
½ March 5, 2016
It captures the surrealistic vision its source material produced with the intriguing unfolding development until it fully turns the already strangeness of that into a disturbing charm. (B)
½ November 30, 2015
A buff Burt Lancaster is nearly naked the whole film as a upscale businessman swimming through the pools of his neighbors in a circuitous route home one evening. I wouldn't watch this for years as I took it merely as a Lancaster vanity project, but now I guess I'm old enough to see that that actually plays an important part in the story, his vanity, undercutting what is seen versus what is real. There's a Twilight Zone twist telegraphed throughout, but nonetheless its a cool piece about the difference between who we think we are and who we are in fact.
November 18, 2015
Sorprendente Burt Lancaster en el papel de un nadador en una surrealista odisea que poco a poco se vuelve absurda y por ultimo, autodestructiva.
½ July 5, 2015
Sappy and melodramatic. Even the symbolic allegories are quite banal. In the hands of a better director could have been good though.
½ June 12, 2015
The strange story of a man whose life slowly spirals into surreal symbolism as he attempts to 'swim' home by working his way through the various pools across a valley on the way to his house. As he interacts with the various friends and neighbors along the way we see his first sunny outlook and life start to crater as the reality of his life seeps in through small exchanges and revelations, making for a rather interesting and thought provoking viewing experience.

Well worth tracking down.
April 29, 2015
Fascinating portrait of emotional meltdown masquerading as heroic individualism. Burt Lancaster is of course superlative in the main role, but he's matched by Janice Rule as a former lover. A quirky oddball gem that is even better the second time you watch it.
April 22, 2015
Burt Lancaster, já de si habituado a ser maior que a vida, dispõe-se a um dos grandes papéis da sua carreira neste "The Swimmer", que, apesar de incompreendido aquando da sua estreia, é hoje um riquíssimo e altamente cativante pedaço de cinema alegórico e adiantado perante o seu tempo. Aliás, com tanta vaidade a servir de maquilhagem para a dor de um mundo cada vez mais sobrecarregado de celebridades e socialites, o tempo de "The Swimmer" é hoje e amanhã. Mas essa é apenas uma das abordagens possíveis a um argumento que tem ideias às pazadas e a convicção de um atleta certo de que vai ganhar a maratona. No entanto era difícil perder ou vacilar quando Lancaster assume herculeamente a missão de representar todos os fardos do homem em hora e meia. Apetece pegar em 10 Óscares mal atribuídos e ir colocá-los dentro do seu caixão. "The Swimmer" é - com alguns rasgos avant-garde e um elenco impecável - um arrebatador filme sobre as mais diversas dimensões da condição humana.
½ March 30, 2015
Strange and bleak - just the way I like it!
January 7, 2015
It's a tragic dream about one man's delusion.
½ December 27, 2014
Iâ(TM)m going to write across the county. At least, Iâ(TM)m writing a review about a film about a man who decides to âswimâ? across the county in The Swimmer. It opens with a surreal montage of forestry, and then enters Neddy Merrill (Burt Lancaster) who meets up with old friends. When Neddy sees a connection of the pools of his neighbors leading up to his house, he decides to âswimâ? across the county. His kidsâ(TM) former babysitter Juliane (Janet Landgard) calls it âan adventure.â? And she is absolutely right. What follows is not the action-adventure kind of adventure you see these days, but a simpler one with characters living out a somewhat realistic situation. Neddy is a relatable protagonist you feel like you grew up knowing, but is made unique by his boyish attitude. Along his river, the Lucinda River, he encounters old friends, who show mixed feelings towards seeing him again. This is obvious in one woman he meets, who was the mother of his friend. She owns the house, and she thinks low of him for not calling her son, his friend, in the hospital. The picture is great, with a clear-and-present 60s feel. It dates the movie in a good way, because today, youâ(TM)ll feel youâ(TM)ve gone back in time to the 1960s. Marvin Hamlisch provides a wonderful soundtrack, though there were some spaces where silence was not really necessary. The Swimmer is a deep, funny adventure, that feels dated yet timeless, from its relatable protagonist Neddy, to the side-characters he meets/reconnects with.
November 29, 2014
Brilliant performance by Burt Lancaster, who himself suffered several tragedies in life, starting with an early death of his mother and an injury that ended his athletic career. Even as a young man, Lancaster already knew that the middle class trappings have about the same value as tinsel on an artificial Christmas tree. This is how he is able to convey the depth of feeling and just-below-the-surface angst that permeates this movie. In the end, Ned's life turns out to be nothing but empty self-talk. This movie has great power even today - many of us go about life not knowing who we are and what we stand for... only to see our delusions crumble at the slightest push by the harsh realities of life.
½ November 15, 2014
This was a really sad film, but with an unusual and original idea. The title character spends his entire day essentially swimming home. He goes from pool to pool mingling with people that used to play a bigger part in his life. He eventually comes to a startling realization. Honestly, it's not the type of role Burt Lancaster is used to playing, but he does it so well. I, the viewer, feel his pain.
November 7, 2014
A timeless masterpiece. Lancaster performance is the stuff method actors like Pacino and De Niro have dreamed of.
½ August 9, 2014
although considered unusual and misunderstood,this movie is solidly constructed and packs a great punch with intrigue and entertainment.
½ July 14, 2014
'The Swimmer' absolutely floored me. I loved the way the story unfolded, revealing more about Ned Merrill with every passing encounter - ultimately leading to one of my favourite endings in recent memory. The cinematography was outstanding - tracking shots, awe inspiring framing, experimental under cranking, slow motion. The editing was very cool, especially half way through the film when Ned and Julie continue the journey home. The fact that the filmmakers were able to have the balls to put this out speaks volumes.
4.5/5
July 13, 2014
remember bits of it from years ago, #1 in the queue, will be seeing it shortly.........
366weirdmovies
May 9, 2014
Observing that all his neighbors have swimming pools, an indefatigably cheerful man out for a morning jog decides to "swim" his way home; at each stop he talks to a new neighbor, slowly painting a picture of his life. Based on a John Cheever short story, this odd concept works surprisingly well as both a suburban satire and (thanks to an excellent performance by Burt Lancaster) a touching character study of a man who doesn't realize the American dream has passed him by.
April 19, 2014
Some movies just crack through to something inside - this is one o' mine.
April 12, 2014
The less said about the plot of The Swimmer, based on John Cheever's haunting short story, the better. Burt Lancaster plays a resident of an upper class Connecticut neighborhood (backyard pools, horse stables, chauffer's, and tennis courts) who emerges one late summer afternoon in the backyard of a neighbor he has not seen for awhile wearing only swimming trunks and declares his ambition to swim home from pool to pool in his affluent suburban neighborhood. Something is not quite right here and the viewer quickly begins to wonder just what is going on with the protagonist through a series of revelatory interactions with the characters he meets. The recent Grindhouse Films Blu-Ray release is worth checking out.