Syndromes and a Century Reviews

• Jul 14, 2019

Inspirado en la historia de amor de sus padres, Apichatpong Weerasethakul cuenta tres historias de amor diferentes pero que confluyen en un mismo cauce. Gran narrativa, sencilla, profunda, reflexiva.

• Jun 22, 2017

3.8/5 Ive always felt its terribly dangerous for a film to explore the contrast of a situation over another through direct exposure to its dreariness, but aside from moments where the poetry strayed too far from what it had established, it was quite mesmerizing.

• Feb 22, 2017

Syndromes and a Century is an enigmatic invitation into Apichatpong Weerasethakul's realm of minimalism and uniqueness.

• May 13, 2016

My second film from Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul. "Loong Boonmee raleuk chat" or "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" was my first one and I expected a lot from it. It never lived up to it, so I had doubts about this one. It's a different type of film. It's gentle, mysterious, quite weird and experimental when it comes to techniques of scene selection and tempo. We follow some doctors at a hospital. Weerasethakul's parents is in real life doctors, so this has been known as some sort of biography on that matter. Doctors are very much human beings and here we get into their lives as a more personal matter. The popular doctor Toey seem in center of it, but other doctors and some patients are on the screen too. It's a romatic vibe here but the biggest vibe I get is some sort of calmness as it put's me in a trance with it's super slow panning shots and it's music. Shot's turn out from the conversations or move around in the building while nice dialogues keeps you interested. I dig that repeated conversation thing and I love the black hole scene. Many great scenes, some weirder, some funnier than others. A lovely shot film, mesmerizing and calm - that takes your head to other destinations. Impressive stuff. 8 out of 10 orchids.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 12, 2016

The emperor has no clothes, and I can't see any point in trying to look for a purpose in this infuriating and self-indulgent experiment that finds itself much more original and inventive than it is but has the same effect of random images of just about anything on a blank screen.

• Mar 31, 2016

Surreal, yet the visual splendor of social realism. A strange compilation of human interaction, posing questions regarding the afterlife and reincarnation.

• Sep 21, 2015

A visual feast and emotionally resonant personal piece from Weerasethakul, Syndromes and a Century is patient, beautiful, and ultimately astonishing.

• May 25, 2015

An altogether unique meditation on love that becomes almost hypnotic thanks to the stylistic and off-centered approach to cinematic storytelling.

• Feb 03, 2015

Weerasethakul is, without a doubt, a master of mood and Syndromes And A Century is all about just that. What other director could skillfully balance the telling of two stories in two different time periods, especially one as enigmatic as this? Syndromes contains no form or structure, but the evocative atmosphere it creates is warm and intoxicating. Time seems to stand still in Weerasethakul's world and it allows the viewer to immerse themselves in the minutiae of these characters. The film often plays as a intimate dream, filled with unique, humorous characters. Rarely is a director able to transfix me as wholly as Weerasethakul and his shunning of mainstream movie ideas about how to tell a story is refreshing.

• Jun 07, 2014

the main "tricks" i would say: the repetion of scenes and the contrast of two parts.