Syrup - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Syrup Reviews

½ July 24, 2016
It's not terrible, but it's not the best either, despite committed performances from Fernandez and Heard.
½ March 18, 2016
I do not understand why the ratings for this show is so low. This is a fast-paced movie with excellent acting and chemistry from the main leads especially Amber Heard.
½ December 2, 2015
Not amazing but not horrible. It's tries to make advertising hip and cool
August 25, 2015
Syrup started out with a strong story, strong characters and somewhere along the line it lost its way. This film focuses on the relationship between the two main characters and their ideas and marketing campaigns for a new energy drink. Good things happen and people get screwed over, creating an interesting plot where revenge is dealt and new ideas are formed. The relationship aspect never really hits a high point, as the actors did not seem to have the best chemistry together. Once the last segment of the film started to kick into the gear, it never was able to match the strong beginning and it fell apart. There were some odd parts where the actors broke the 4th wall and talked to the audience and it just did not seem to fit into the flow of the movie. At times, the performances were strong but not good enough to grab my full attention. Syrup should interest marketing/sales/advertising professionals but if your looking for a good laugh or a romantic film, Syrup is just a bit to sticky and annoying to satisfy.
½ January 20, 2015
The movie sticks to its gimmick, delivers an entertaining story, and while barely clinging to the believable it does so with a straight face. If the content offends, well go watch something with Bruce Willis instead.
November 10, 2014
A poor adaptation of a great book, enjoyable only to those who read it first.
September 24, 2014
It was really, really good!
Had a strong female character in a somewhat unconventional story line.
½ August 26, 2014
awful clichéd film. Don't bother with it....
August 21, 2014
Good performances (Amber Heard: Always a pleasure, never a chore), nice direction. The screenplay sucked. SERIOUSLY sucked.
½ August 21, 2014
This starts like an alternative 'Thank You For Smoking', turns into a rom-com with a more thoughtfully centred plot but seriously loses its way in the second part.
August 15, 2014
Syrup tries to be cool, slick and witty. But it just comes off as dumb and superficial. Sure that maybe the point of this flick, but not when you don't believe what the narrator has to say most of the way through. This movie has problems with what it tries to make fun of. It's all style and image, but has no substance or intelligence to it. Although not believable it at least it starts out somewhat intriguing, but quickly loses it's flare and just becomes redundant. It's like watching a fairy tale version of the marketing world, which is fine but this movie is boring. The humour is flat and just about everything about it is forgettable, including the dis-likable main characters. In another words it tries to create a image of it being professional, but underneath it all it's amateurishly done. At the end of it all, nothing seems to be resolved and far from it being satisfying.
½ August 10, 2014
i guess the book must be better as the film was pretty meandering and kind of pointless unless I am missing something.
½ August 6, 2014
Too quick. Skips and twists most parts of the book making the movie not memorable.
July 29, 2014
It's movies like this that I wonder how they got into my queue in the first place. Yea, it's cool that it's about marketing, but the movie is just god awful. Amber Heard is hot but when she's not naked all that's left is bad acting. And this Shiloh Fernandez kid must be coasting on the fact he looks like a young Johnny Depp and sounds like Keanu Reeves because he's just a horrible actor. Awful movie.
½ July 18, 2014
2.5 Stars, it was an interesting movie, i'd say its average. It the script was carefully thought through, the film will be much better. Nevertheless, still a good job from writer/director Aram Rappaport

1 Star for Amber Heard, 1 Star for Shiloh Fernandez and half a star for the rest.
½ July 13, 2014
So many good ideas, but they were utterly drowned out by Scat. He was the most infuriatingly annoying character I've ever come across. He was whiny and constantly blamed Six for all his problems. Six on the other hand, was an amazing character character but it was such a shame to see her always come back for more emotional abuse from Scat. All in all it was a movie with such great potential but the character Scat just ruined it all. Just watch the trailer and leave it at that.
July 7, 2014
Amazing, funny, and on point!
July 6, 2014
Blargh! I'm 11 minutes into it and I already have my nose scrunched in distaste. The horrendous script makes this otherwise interesting film sound like a badly written Mary Sue fanfiction.
½ June 17, 2014
This is pretty dull. I did laugh a few times, mainly because I studied marketing in college. It does make fun of marketing, but it's hard to like any of the characters because of it.
May 31, 2014
Six is like a Bossy Pixie Dream Girl.