Talaash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Talaash Reviews

July 30, 2016
Very Good Thriller/Horror
April 25, 2016
While the film feels boring at several times, the story and the performances by every actor present are the only reason you will want to keep on watching it.
August 14, 2015
Among the more underrated Hindi films in recent times - here is a movie that takes its characters into dark places rarely explored in mainstream cinema, and allows them to stay there and interact with each other in surprising ways. From the slick production values to the layered script to the excellent acting all-round - Reema Kagti and Zoya Akhtar have crafted a doozy of a mystery thriller.
August 4, 2015
With any other cast I'm not sure this movie would have been as emotional and interesting. Everyone did such a good job and the script was also good. Definitely worth the watch
½ April 22, 2015
Liked it!! An Indian neo-noir mystery thriller film!! Different than those we had in the past
½ March 15, 2015
Talaash unfurls its plot so enticingly that you expect great endings from the movie.The movie hits a low due to its long narrative.
½ March 11, 2015
So boring. It completely lost me. (First and only viewing - 2/10/2015)
August 21, 2014
Bollywood is growing up. What we think is that we are on the track to a murder but the events turn out quite simple and strong.
March 1, 2014
Pretty good. One of the very good movies of Bollywood!
½ January 21, 2014
This is the disappointment of the year!! Really hate this movie what a crap movie from the so-called perFAKEtionist aamir khan
January 14, 2014
Talaash (the Quest) produced under the banner of Amir Khan Productions and directed by Reema Kagti. Talaash stars Amir Khan ("3 Idiots or Three Idiots" Bollywood's magnanimous actor alongside with Shahrukh Khan), Kareena Kapoor and Rani Mukherjee. Film's song-lyrics were written by legendary former script-writer Javed Akhtar (the co-writer of the Bollywood's most celebrated film 'Sholay' 1975). It earned $2million worldwide.

Film opens in Mumbai at night, a car at limitless speed plunges into ocean. Mumbai police-officer Amir Khan arrives at the scene and launches investigations. Amir has just moved in to Mumbai with his wife (Rani Mukherjee), he is suffering from insomnia, after tragic death of his little son, which he blames upon himself, careless enough to have let it happen. He stays or better to say finds opportunities to spend nights outside at work, to evade suffering of his son's death. Amir meets a call-girl (Kareena Kapoor) from red-light area, who was seen in a hotel surveillance-video with her client; who died in a car-accident, in the beginning of the film. Rani, is approached by neighboring lady who claims to have been talking to her dead son; when desperate mother, tells this to her husband (Amir), he rebukes her and insults the lady. Slowly, murder-case is progressing to solving - and the climax has too much twist and surprises.

Let me tell you first, that I do not watch Indian movies because of frequent plagiarism and stealing of others works (except classic movies of legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan and current actors Amir Khan and Shahrukh Khan - who rose to their stardom with early critical work). Anyways, 'Talaash' is a film that I watched longtime since it was released. What actually made me to enjoy it, are mystery/crime/twist/music-score and filming at night, boost noir-touch in it. I truly loved the climax that ends with similar opening-scene - this time, Amir inside the car, same location and same circumstances surrounding the accident.

Will he survive the accident? Who is red-light area call-girl? Why does she meet him when he is alone? Is the neighboring lady, an opportunist to deceive Rani about seeing her dead son? Will the murder-case of prominent celebrity be solved? Is Amir going to live rest of his life with grief about his son?
December 24, 2013
Brillant character study in the realm of grief and loss. I enjoyed the twist and how the film came together at the end. Would have got 5 stars if not for the extremely slow pace
December 24, 2013
It is touching because it sympathizes parents who lost their kid as well as poor prostitutes and lame pimps.
½ December 22, 2013
Intriguing but falls flat
½ November 6, 2013
Schizophrenic, as it doesn't concentrate on any particular point of the story and just goes haywire from the second act itself. It tries to be a cop story, ends up as a ghost story.
½ October 21, 2013
Talaash is "polished and seductive" "A moving and quietly powerful study of the ongoing yet not always obvious damage suffered in the long wake of loss." "Kapoor naturally exudes a kittenish charm that not even a violet, skintight, leopard-print dress and equally purple dialogue can entirely diminish."
October 20, 2013
It is so hard to find good Hindi films right now, that I endured certain parts of this movie just to continue watching Mumbai and, for the most part, the good cast of this production. While everything does come together at the end, it has some painful parts, mostly those concerning Kareena Kapoor. I have to admit her acting skills have polished after hundreds of movies, but still, can we please get over her light skin and pedigree? Yet, Aamir is of course stellar, I wasn't expecting anything less from the real king of Bollywood, and Rani too did a good job. I wish the story would have been more around the couple, than the glorified prostitute, but oh well, I wonder what real good actors have to say about this type of production, someone like Nandita Das for example, what does she think? For those of us in the US with limited access to the good movies (mostly due to lack of English subtitles) this is a good fix. I am still waiting for Bollywood directors to wake up from exploiting young pale skin new actresses with shallow stories and go back to the profound and epic Indian films...
October 20, 2013
amazing movie and amazing acting by all. I highly recommend it.
½ October 19, 2013
Zero Stars.....Worse than chennai Express...
½ October 14, 2013
'Talaash' is one movie, which is not about plot but totally about characters and their respective quests i.e. 'Talaash'. All three main characters are well defined and fine layered, a rare sight in our Bollywood movies. And all three actors have done full justice to their roles. An added feather to their acting cap is Nawazuddin. Shernaz as usual is good with her job.

Aamir is in search of offloading his self imposed personal guilt, Rani is searching for lost emotional connection and Kareena is looking for justice. All three are in constant state of ache and despair and this has been beautifully portrayed. An extra point goes to Kareena for looking surreal in the film. Alongside, an extra point goes to Reema, for aptly showing two parallel but different journeys of Aamir without any overlap or confusion.

This may be Reema's second directorial venture, but she is all set to carve a niche of her own. As Karan Johar is a pro in portraying various shades and intermittance of friendship and love, this lady is a master craftswoman with different interpersonal relationships. Various type of connections exist between two souls and she can understand and direct them very well. Also there is fine detailing in production design. Reema has kept the film as close to reality as possible. There are no item numbers or star specific make-up.

Though the plot is new for the Indian screen, but Kareena's character is very much inspired from a Hollywood movie.

Hats off to Aaamir for constantly spinning out 'different' movies one after another. This is one star who keeps you guessing, even after 24 years!