Tale Of A Vampire Reviews

• Nov 18, 2014

As a vampire film aficionado, I have to say I really appreciated this one. No stupid breakneck, superhero pace, which is really what the genre should be. It's dark, artistic and mesmerizing. I STILL love the quiet stillness of Lugosi's Dracula, so it makes me happy to see it in this film. I felt Sands (whose acting can sometimes be uncomfortable to watch, but I always do) was absolute perfection. How does he manage to be so creepy and yet so sexy at the same time? Scary and vulnerable? Freaky and sympathetic? The 'Naive' script worked well for him, but left the other actors looking a bit wooden. Regardless, Sands carries it to the level of one of the loveliest vamp flicks. It was also kinda cool to see a heroine that looks pretty much like a normal person. By the way, Sands has managed to play a number of scary characters, including werewolf and warlock (and psycho and amputator). He's should definitely be in the horror hall of fame.

• Feb 01, 2014

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img]

• Mar 31, 2013

I have always loved gothic English films and this is one of them. Yes, the movie is slow paced but I enjoyed the atmosphere and the relationship between Alex and Anne/Virginia. Julian Sands always brings his unique acting abilities to any character he plays and this is one of them. This is one of the first movies that I saw Suzanna Hamilton in and I absolutely love her. She has a uniqueness about her that makes her stand out and she is fantastic with playing characters with great emotion. The simplicity of the story made it all the more enjoyable.

• Jan 22, 2013

At times ridiculous art house vampire film that occasionally ventures into "Angel" backstory territory. I would recommend people watch "The Wisdom of Crocodiles" instead if they wanted a much better albeit similar plotted art house vampire film.

• Oct 29, 2011

This was better than I thought it would be. Definitely not the typical vampire movie. It is a bit slow, and there is a tragic element to its love story. I did not rate it higher mostly for the slow pace, and I did wish the ending had been different. An additional appeal to me, as a librarian, were the scenes in the library. I would not mind working in a place like that.

• May 07, 2011

Vastly boring and uninteresting. There's not much to this film to keep you watching, really.

• EightThirty . Super Reviewer
    May 15, 2010

15/05/2010 (DVD) This isn't the typical "Vampire" or "Dracula" film most of us are use to, but if given the chance, its quite enjoyable if you can endure the slowness of the flow. I like the dark story and I'm into that, but the film does feel very TV like and that's why it lost 2 and a 1/2 stars for me. I would say that this is more like a Tale of "Rome & Juliet" rather than a "Tale of a Vampire" or "Dracula".

• Apr 29, 2010

• Marion R Super Reviewer
    Mar 22, 2010

It was really difficult to get in to. It was just okay.

It was really difficult to get in to. It was just okay.

• Jan 22, 2009

i didn't expect to actually like this movie. It turned out that I found it rather intriguing. I think the most beautiful scene in the movie is the last one. Even if it is tragic.