Tale of Tales (Il racconto dei racconti) Reviews

• Apr 12, 2019

A film that is visually stunning but sadly rewards the viewer with very little else throughout the 125 minute running time. Most frustrating is its failure to provide a finale that makes the numerous plots meaningful and worthwhile. There is no pay-off for the time you invest into this film.

• Mar 10, 2019

I watched this movie on Netflix because it was found under the Horror section. I honestly donâ(TM)t even know why this was classified as horror. The beginning showed promise and was a little interesting, but after that it became so complicated and confusing that what little enjoyment I had was taken away from me and then some.

• Jan 09, 2019

I watched it last week. I want to watch it again just to analyze it. I love this kind of thing that doesn't give you what you are looking for, but you can't look away. Really cool source material. Very creative artists all around. Wonderful dark mood. Actors you know that make you forget they are acting. Do I care about each charector? Maybe not, but I'm very curious where the tales are going. That is plenty for me. I don't want every movie to check all the boxes. Sometimes I just want to be surprised. This film does that plenty. It is kinda like the Rick and Morty episode where they are watching a comercial and it doesn't end, but follows the actor home. Is that bad writing, I guess, but you can't look away.

• Dec 24, 2018

Really beautiful and original. I would totally recommed this film.

Really beautiful and original. I would totally recommed this film.

• Oct 31, 2018

Its definitely not a horror, thats for certain. Its a nice fantasy film that contains 3 distinct stories with a very minor wraparound at the end. Each tale centres around the theme of obsession (obsession to distance a prince from a commoner; to get married; and to be young again). The stories are all told through the outlets of kingdoms and royalty. The acting isn;t anything special but its not bad either. Its a fun watch for those with a child-like heart.

• Sep 22, 2018

I think anyone who didn't enjoy this movie may have taken it a bit too seriously. I'm not an expert film critic so I won't pretend to know what the movie is suppose to look like based on that perspective what I am in fact is the average movie goer. Ive read countless reviews that mentioned the lack of a cohesive plot so I'll address that first. Although the plot at times appeared to be everywhere, each story followed the plot assigned to them quite well. There were a few gaffs but they weren't glaring enough to detract from the movie. Additionally I don't think it would have been necessary to make this movie too perfect, this movie does a great job of being both dark and humourous or rather humorous in the face of what I'd meant to be dark. It doesn't present you with the usual tale of royals rather it takes you on these journeys where even they too have awkward and strange experiences, bad luck befalls, their desires aren't met, they are tricked by those "below them" it's all very interesting. Often people say if I were a fly on the wall, we'll this movie made me feel as if I were a fly on the wall.

• Sep 01, 2018

Really beautiful picture compared with darkness and horror of Middle Ages. Love it.

• Aug 28, 2018

I'm still talking about it hours later. That deserves a high rating. What did I just watch? The artistic director was amazing.

• Aug 16, 2018

Tale of Tales is a perfect blend of reality and dark fantasy, providing the fairy-tale part with gorgeous scenarios and landscapes, while the people in it showcase real human desires and what the outcome and consequences of those might be.

• Aug 10, 2018

Whimsical, grotesque, strange. Quite a lot of fun!

Whimsical, grotesque, strange. Quite a lot of fun!