The Talented Mr. Ripley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Talented Mr. Ripley Reviews

July 20, 2016
Mahtava juoni ja hyvät näyttelijät. (y) (Suom. Lahjakas herra Ripley)
July 17, 2016
The Talented Mr. Damon.
June 18, 2016
good cast, too slow, damon is a great actor, but the wrong choice for this role imo
May 30, 2016
?Anthony Minghella's sleek, solidly entertaining, Hitchcockian adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's thriller with Matt Damon as 'underachiever' Tom Ripley assigned to Italy to chase up playboy Jude Law with unfortunate results.
April 17, 2016
Interesting and intriguing story backed with incredible cast and jazz ambient atmosphere.
April 9, 2016
Anthony Minghella's thriller atmosphere and Matt Damon's central performance on the title role beautifully bring to life an intense and disturbing character study.
March 15, 2016
2016-03-15 wow, Matt starts as nice and just turns into (or is revealed to be) a monster).
February 26, 2016
We all know Matt Damon can act. But if someone were to disagree, you'd have to show them this film. His, along with every single performance in The Talented Mr. Ripley, is top notch. Everything he does is so subtle, yet so calculated, that you believe it all. Or you're not sure what to believe. You see the brood amidst the confidence.

Here, he plays Tom Ripley, a brilliant sociopath who uses his deception skills to fake his wealth. But the thing is, we the audience see every move he makes. It's the other characters who are being tricked.

In fact, Damon is so convincing that it's not until after the film is over when you realize there's nothing to like about his character at all.

Beautifully shot with authentic set design, The Talented Mr. Ripley leads us in the direction of a truly Hitchcockian feature in every way--the experimentation of narrative, the pseudo-protagonist, and even the signature blonde.

You have to applaud this film for keeping the audience on their toes. The story is constantly changing. Resetting its goals. Much like when our brains shift a bit when Janet Leigh dies half way through Psycho. We feel like it should end there. Wouldn't most movies?

Leaving us sitting up in our chairs, it becomes reminiscent of The Master of Suspense, himself. But then, all of a sudden, things change, and it no longer seems that way at all. You realize it keeps avoiding some sort of conclusion. Dancing around it, actually. And usually when films continue on like this, you expect a redeeming ending. However, without giving anything away, we don't get one.

When the movie is constantly showing us its hand, we are left wondering why. Maybe something bigger and better is around the corner. Maybe they're saving the real twist for the very end. The story has so many chances to give us something grand, but they all fall by the wayside.

Director, Anthony Minghella, definitely has the creepy and suspenseful tone down. And he pulls the best performances from his actors. He does a very good job, given the source material. But his the biggest impression he's left here may be how he gets us to look at Damon in a much different way.

Twizard Rating: 84
February 26, 2016
A stunningly shot film with down performances from Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett. It offers a dark and twisted story revolving around Matt Damon and ends with a dramatic ending
February 11, 2016
A very well acted movie, with a very unsettling storyline. This is not recommended for kids. Overall, it was good.
February 5, 2016
The quiet terror Damon brings as Tom Ripley is extremely powerful and charismatic, which is saying much, since he's basically a murdering sociopath. Easily my favorite Matt Damon movie. In my personal top 15 films of all time.
½ January 19, 2016
Hitchcockian. Matt Damon carries this complex and unconventional thriller. Great production values (at their best on a large screen).
½ January 7, 2016
In going on too long it makes Ripley's successes seem gradually less plausible, and it's very awkward at the beginning in its attempts to be light and carefree before everything turns dark and tense. But when it makes that turn I think it works quite well for just about the entire second act, so it deserves credit for that.
January 1, 2016
Great cast in a very intelligent, but dark, film.
December 23, 2015
Brilliantly acted. Matt Damen nailed creepy. Every scene was intellectually engaging to watch Damen's character Mr. Ripley engaging in each scene while simultaneously carrying out an alternate agenda. He manipulated everyone like a master puppeteer.

Jude Law played a carefree elitist beautifully. You wanted to be his friend.

Finally Gweneth Paltrow had fantastic emotional range. She's the most empathetic character. You really feel her pain.
December 16, 2015
Completely and utterly captivating from start to finish. A dark and twisted look into the mind of the disturbingly compelling Tom Ripley that is guaranteed to keep audiences on the edge of their seats.
½ December 12, 2015
Led by the most-charming, creepy and emotional performance possibly ever by Matt Damon, this movie has a suspenseful and exciting story of deceit and lies.
½ December 10, 2015
It's a secret between us.

In the 1950s Thomas Ripley is an Ivy Leaguer that is hired by a rich man to go to Italy and retrieve his son. He is asked to bring the son back to America. Thomas initially fails so he decides to best friend the son, and become brothers as they travel across Europe. Things become complicated when the son wants no part of Ripley.

"You should always save pain for daylight."

Anthony Minghella, director of Cold Mountain, Truly Madly Deeply, Breaking and Entering, The English Patient, and Mr. Wonderful, delivers The Talented Mr. Ripley. The storyline for this picture is very entertaining and intricate. The characters are dynamic and play out very well. The cast delivers excellent performances and includes Matt Damon, Jud Law, Gwenyth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

"Tommy, how's the peeping?"

I recently came across this on HBOGO and decided to give it a viewing. I've seen better films with this premise, but this is entertaining with some unpredictable sequences. The ending is a bit farfetched, but the movie does come together nicely. I recommend seeing this once.

"You're the brother I never had. I'm the brother you never had."

Grade: B+/A-
November 2, 2015
If you can get over white privilege and 1% problems, this is a really intriguing film. Watch as Matt Damon displays his many talents impressions, piano playing and pathological lying. Jude Law is the apple of everyone's eye of course. Gwyneth Paltrow puts the pieces together and it would have been heartbreaking if Jude Law wasn't ego-centric, dickhead to everyone.
½ October 27, 2015
This doesn't stand up to repeat viewing really. After an engaging opening half an hour credibility is just gradually stretched well past breaking point. Matt Damon is as Law's character clearly states before getting his head bludgeoned in 'just a bit dull'...'you can be very dull'...yes Matt, yes you can.