The Talented Mr. Ripley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Talented Mr. Ripley Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
Interesting, nobody who wants to be a somebody; homo erotic. Murders and gets away with it.
½ October 13, 2016
Hitchcock probably would have loved the hell out of this movie.

Does a film need a better recommendation than that?
September 23, 2016
An intriguing, engaging story and performances make The Talented Mr. Ripley, an unconventional and fascinating thriller.
September 16, 2016
The longer this movie went on, the harder and harder it was to make myself keep watching. Matt Damon starts off okay but is utterly unlikeable by the middle of the movie. Literally everyone else in the movie was a better person than he, but I had the feeling that I was meant to empathize with him. I just couldn't. I was so relieved when the painfully predictable - and repellent - ending finally came and I could turn it off. Ugh.
September 5, 2016
Cinematically speaking it is fantastic, so very enjoyable to look at. Unfortunately I found the story itself (so eloquently told with the camera by this impressively competent star-studded cast) to be both stressful and depressing.
½ August 5, 2016
It's impossible to find The Talent Mr. Ripely anything less that captivating. Matt Damon played his character perfectly, supporting the brilliant cinematography and score into achieving the wonderful thriller this film turned out to be.
½ July 31, 2016
If you like the smell of gay terds, then this is the movie for you.
July 20, 2016
Mahtava juoni ja hyvät näyttelijät. (y) (Suom. Lahjakas herra Ripley)
July 17, 2016
The Talented Mr. Damon.
June 18, 2016
good cast, too slow, damon is a great actor, but the wrong choice for this role imo
May 30, 2016
?Anthony Minghella's sleek, solidly entertaining, Hitchcockian adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's thriller with Matt Damon as 'underachiever' Tom Ripley assigned to Italy to chase up playboy Jude Law with unfortunate results.
April 17, 2016
Interesting and intriguing story backed with incredible cast and jazz ambient atmosphere.
April 9, 2016
Anthony Minghella's thriller atmosphere and Matt Damon's central performance on the title role beautifully bring to life an intense and disturbing character study.
March 15, 2016
2016-03-15 wow, Matt starts as nice and just turns into (or is revealed to be) a monster).
February 26, 2016
We all know Matt Damon can act. But if someone were to disagree, you'd have to show them this film. His, along with every single performance in The Talented Mr. Ripley, is top notch. Everything he does is so subtle, yet so calculated, that you believe it all. Or you're not sure what to believe. You see the brood amidst the confidence.

Here, he plays Tom Ripley, a brilliant sociopath who uses his deception skills to fake his wealth. But the thing is, we the audience see every move he makes. It's the other characters who are being tricked.

In fact, Damon is so convincing that it's not until after the film is over when you realize there's nothing to like about his character at all.

Beautifully shot with authentic set design, The Talented Mr. Ripley leads us in the direction of a truly Hitchcockian feature in every way--the experimentation of narrative, the pseudo-protagonist, and even the signature blonde.

You have to applaud this film for keeping the audience on their toes. The story is constantly changing. Resetting its goals. Much like when our brains shift a bit when Janet Leigh dies half way through Psycho. We feel like it should end there. Wouldn't most movies?

Leaving us sitting up in our chairs, it becomes reminiscent of The Master of Suspense, himself. But then, all of a sudden, things change, and it no longer seems that way at all. You realize it keeps avoiding some sort of conclusion. Dancing around it, actually. And usually when films continue on like this, you expect a redeeming ending. However, without giving anything away, we don't get one.

When the movie is constantly showing us its hand, we are left wondering why. Maybe something bigger and better is around the corner. Maybe they're saving the real twist for the very end. The story has so many chances to give us something grand, but they all fall by the wayside.

Director, Anthony Minghella, definitely has the creepy and suspenseful tone down. And he pulls the best performances from his actors. He does a very good job, given the source material. But his the biggest impression he's left here may be how he gets us to look at Damon in a much different way.

Twizard Rating: 84
February 26, 2016
A stunningly shot film with down performances from Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett. It offers a dark and twisted story revolving around Matt Damon and ends with a dramatic ending
February 11, 2016
A very well acted movie, with a very unsettling storyline. This is not recommended for kids. Overall, it was good.
February 5, 2016
The quiet terror Damon brings as Tom Ripley is extremely powerful and charismatic, which is saying much, since he's basically a murdering sociopath. Easily my favorite Matt Damon movie. In my personal top 15 films of all time.
½ January 19, 2016
Hitchcockian. Matt Damon carries this complex and unconventional thriller. Great production values (at their best on a large screen).
½ January 7, 2016
In going on too long it makes Ripley's successes seem gradually less plausible, and it's very awkward at the beginning in its attempts to be light and carefree before everything turns dark and tense. But when it makes that turn I think it works quite well for just about the entire second act, so it deserves credit for that.