Tales from the Darkside: The Movie Reviews

• Sep 10, 2020

Finally a movie adaptation that transcends its TV counterpart. Seriously, this may be one of, if not the best horror anthologies. Every story and the wrap-around work like gangbusters. It's too bad we never got follow ups. The only thing missing from this is a memorable host.

• Jun 15, 2020

Horror comedy from the master of story telling. Great cast of actors too, including possibly two of the best punk rock singers/icons (David Johansen and Debbie Harry) to boot...the great Billy Hickey, Jim Remar (the Warriors), Mark Margolis (Scarface and Breaking Bad) and a young and gorgeous Julianne Moore! The cat segment of the film possibly the best of the three.

• Dec 14, 2019

I am a huge fan of the t.v. show from the 80's called "Tales from the Dark side" which this movie is based off of. The show can be bought on Amazon as well as "Tales from the dark side" movie. I say to watch the show and skip the movie in whole, I seen this movie on t.v. one night and went with it because I love the show. It has known actors but comes up short, lots of small talk and I don't remember anything too interesting/scary just a boring movie based on the t.v. show kind of hit or miss.

• Oct 29, 2018

One of the most idiotic movies I've ever seen.

One of the most idiotic movies I've ever seen.

• Mark H Super Reviewer
    Nov 08, 2017

Another anthology horror film, much like Creepshow, and almost as good. This one, like the much weaker Creepshow 2, features three stories, plus a wraparound. The first story is about a mummy that comes to life and carries out revenge/justice. Lot 249 is fun, and well cast and acted, but much darker than Creepshow. Not much humor in these tales. The wraparound has some dark humor though. The second tale is the weakest. It's about an old man (the always memorable William Hickey) who is cursed by a black cat who has killed 3 people in his mansion already. The cat is seeking revenge for all the cats experimented on by his drug company. The mood is good, and the camera shots and cinematography is excellent. It is well made. It's just not very scary. The third tale is the best. It's about a gargoyle statute atop a building in NYC that comes alive and makes a deal with the main character. If he promises never to tell anyone he saw the gargoyle or heard it speak, he would be sparred. He meets a pretty woman the same night by coincidence, and they fall in love. His career takes off, and they start a family. However, he is haunted by the night of the gargoyle, and, well, does he keep his promise? Scary, dark and well made with good music. This movie is just about as good as Creepshow, it just lacks one more good story, or if the second had been better, to be great.

• Sep 11, 2017

One of my favorite memories from growing up in the 80s is seeing this movie with my best friend. Fun horror movie!

• Jun 30, 2017

There is the chessy goodness of 80's films which is a sort of cult classics then there is this puke that should be flushed.

• Jun 18, 2017

A boy is locked up in a cage reading stories to delay the witch from eating him. In the first story a poor college boy gets a mummy to make some profit and reanimated him. Second story is a rich old man in a house by himself hires a human to kill a cat. In another one an art mover sees something he shouldn't and swears never to tell in exchange for his life

• Jun 06, 2017