Taxi Driver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taxi Driver Reviews

April 11, 2017
Very disappointing movie; blood and guts and violence, cold blood murder. The ends don't justify the means. Love conquers all, not violence. His actions did not transform the streets; just resulted in deaths which is then glorified. Good acting but too much dead time. Awful images.
April 10, 2017
Robert deniros fantastic performance, along with Martin Scorseses beautiful directing and bernard herrmanns fabulous score all ads up to a to one of a truly perfect masterpiece
April 8, 2017
Great direction. Second half is more impactful and fast-paced. First half is slow but full of content.
½ April 6, 2017
This was Martin Scorsese's first masterpiece and this was his first film which made him a famous director. It's about an insomniac taxi driver who works the late night shift because he can't sleep at night. It's a great character study showing him trying to fit back into everyday life. The cinematography is excellent and it shows the night life through the rear window of his taxi cab mirrors. The gradual transformation from man to beast in this movie is chilling. At first, he tries to kill a politician but then he turns his intention to a pimp who exploits teenage prostitutes. It's funny when he threatens himself in the mirror by saying "You talking to me?" but when he comes out with sunglasses and a mohawk hairdo, it's clear that he's going to do something nasty. Robert De Niro's performance is fantastic. It's clearly De Niro's best performance to date. His acting is very intense and it helped him make an impression. The movie is enhanced by an excellent jazz soundtrack by composer Bernard Herrman which draws people into the movie. "Taxi Driver" was a big hit when it first came out both by critics and moviegoers. It has been labeled as one of the best American films many times. This is a must see for all film lovers and it will likely age real well.
April 6, 2017
Travis Bickle: Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man.
March 24, 2017
Robert De Niro is great in this movie, he shined, and brought a new revolution to movies.
½ March 20, 2017
A fascinating character study with a legendary performance De Niro. A bit slow in the middle, but unquestionably a masterfully made film with lush cinema photography and impeccable direction by Scrosese
½ March 5, 2017
It's amazing how some of these low budget movies, no matter the genre, can have effect on us with great power, and Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver is the most powerful one I've seen yet. With an amazing score, by the master of old movie composers, Bernard Hermann, who also composed for other great classics like Citizen Kane (1941), or The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), and a compelling job by Robert DeNiro, especially considering it was his early days. A great classic to see. Recommended !!
February 28, 2017
I'm quite the fan of Martin Scorsese but I've never seen Taxi Driver up until now, De Niro was great as I thought he would be in this as I heard this movie was a classic and it did not disappoint.
½ February 18, 2017
Please, if u watch this film once and u didn't like it, just watch it twice or even a third time, i hated it when i first saw it but after a couple of times seeing it it became one of my favorite. TOP CLASSIC.
½ February 7, 2017
Certainly not a classic in my opinion. Not a bad film but not a great film. It's fine but not a lot happens. Don't get the hype
½ February 4, 2017
De Niro is terrific in this, his first iconic role as the title character bent on 'cleaning up the streets'
½ January 27, 2017
Great acting by Deniro, I guess my main complaint is I don't get what all the fuss is about. The movie moves at a snails pace and at no point was I blown away or moved, I did stay interested and engaged, but I definitely don't ever need to watch this movie again, and I don't feel like I was missing out waiting this long to see it.
January 26, 2017
'Taxi Driver' is a disturbingly powerful look at the spiralling descent Into a comfortable madness for a war vet disgusted with the society he's returned to, made always engaging by Robert De Niro's solid performance.
January 25, 2017
A cinematic masterpiece. An emotional monument.
½ January 20, 2017
This movie has been weird to me.The first time I watched it I did not understand it and didn't like it. I just rewatched it and it was like I was watching a completely different movie. This is my second favorite Scorsese movie behind Goodfellas. Scorsese and De Niro make the best movies together. De Niro's performance as Travis Bickle is one of the best of all time. The ending of this movie is incredible so I don't want to spoil it for you. The dialogue throughout this film is amazing and doesn't let you take your eyes off the screen. This is a great character study of Travis Bickle.
January 16, 2017
Now that's a good movie.
January 15, 2017
Not a whole lot going on plot-wise but the themes are apparent.
½ January 10, 2017
Delivers a climactic ending to a flawed character.
½ January 9, 2017
Timeless. Probably the best "loner" movie ever. Travis Bickle is fed up with the night animals of NYC and is about to lose his shit. Wonderfully shot. Arguably the best Scorsese/DeNiro collaboration.