Terminator Salvation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Terminator Salvation Reviews

Page 1 of 2005
January 15, 2018
Definitely the best Terminator movie since T2. Expected to see more battles against the T-600s, but that's about it.
January 11, 2018
So ahead of its time, that it could not be even understood by the audience
½ December 30, 2017
An original idea if poorly realised. This could have been good but misses the mark. On first watch it is fine but trying to sit through it again...it has major flaws.

James Cameron's frightening future with buildings destroyed, cars strewn across human remains and terrifying robots hunting humans to extinction is thrown away for a bright, colourless desert. Mind boggling.
Not sure anyone working on these films saw T1 or T2.
½ December 27, 2017
Overall a solid piece of science fiction. Its far from original but it does follow up successfully on expectations set by the first three Terminator movies, when the films briefly glimpse into an apocalyptic future. This film of course is not about being on the run from a murdering cyborg from the future. Instead its the film about that future where humans have to fight the robot armies and judging from the reviews it seems critics either wanted to stick with the old format or wanted the new Terminator to be as epic as Lord of the Rings.

Well sorry to both camps. It is perhaps a popcorn flick that took itself a little too serious. Like Dark Knight and other franchise reboots of that past few years (with the exception of Star Trek). Because of that it may seem a little lacking in humor or style. Also, because its PG-13, it may seem a little tame compare to past Terminator movies.

Bale does an adequate job playing the war hero and I'm convinced he can cary the weight of the franchise but it is hard to imagine that the smart mouth little punk in T2 and Nick Stahl in T3 turn out to be Christian' Bale's portrayal of John Connor. Bale is a bit too noble in this film. I guess atomic wars make one fully mature but in some way his acting seems similar to his acting in the Batman movies. However, its really a mute point as overall he is convincing in the role.

As well both Anton Yelchin and Sam Worthington work well in their parts. Yelchin does another excellent job playing a character that had already been played by another actor. (In Star Trek he was Chekov, and in TS he plays a young Kyle Reese.) Worthington is the film's other star eating up a lot of the screen time and playing the part of the films anti-hero. He plays an amoral character through out most of the film whose motivation may have something to do with a selfless cause but primarily its about survival and vengeance.

Lastly Helena Bonham Carter is her usual freaky self in this film and that is rarely a bad thing. I was curious what her role would be. In fact even at the beginning of the film I was scratching my head but had her part figured out by the big reveal but the big reveal was pretty fun and she was perfect for the role.

Oh and yes...all be it a small role. Ahnold, or a young facsimile of him plays the good old T-800. I prefer Ahnold the Terminator vs. the governator. Lets be honest he shouldn't have quit his day job.
December 13, 2017
Terminator Salvation takes us into the early future of the machines beginning to win, finally. Very strong performances in Christian Bale and Sam Worthington run the show and do well to give the film new believable characters that suit their roles. This helps massively to keep the threat of the machines alive as other films in the franchise destroyed the menacing face for a comedic one. still not the future we see and expect from visions of Kyle Reese in T1 but were on our way. the effects do well here too everything with the machines seems in keeping with what we expect with t1 and t2 whilst giving a few new interesting models to the line. A sweet surprise is included in the final act of the movie which gave the film/story a deeper meaning with the showcase of the original Terminator. Mistrust,confusion,war, and desperation swing on John conners heart while he tries to save humanity. full action sences in new locations help this one stand out with a story twist in the machine development means it gives more and keeps more from the other first two, thumbs up. arh and no cheese.
November 18, 2017
I don't understand why this film was slated as it was post apocalyptic earth after Skynet took over. The terminator franchise isn't Arnold. It's bigger. I found this take great with Sam Worthington as the protagonist in this version. I agree the script was a little weak but overall I found this version enjoyable. Good action scenes and some wow factors in the plots. Shame they didn't make a second installment.
½ November 15, 2017
Two solid action scenes can't save the rest of the movie from being very bland.
½ November 2, 2017
The action and effects are strong, but Terminator Salvation's PG-13 rating takes away a lot of the action's brutal fun. The acting is just okay, and the story is actually pretty good. Unfortunately, the CGI Arnold Terminator is kind of embarrassing, making this an inadequate sequel in the series.
October 23, 2017
Terminator Salvation: Full of action and special effects but lacks the heart of the orignal installments.
October 20, 2017
Great acting, strong cast and satisfying dystopian near future tie in to the original Terminator movies. Deserves a much higher rating.
½ September 26, 2017
More action and less plot.
September 3, 2017
I thought Terminator: Salvation was a good one. The actor and adventure is good. It is a good one in the Terminator Franchise.
September 3, 2017
The biggest plot flaw ever! So riddle me this Batman If I kill Kyle Reese there can be no John Conner. So please tell me why when Kyle Reese was captured by the machines and his ID was confirmed why was he not killed instantly! Why was he allowed to live! There was no need then to trap or hunt down John Conner just one bullet to the head to Reese and it was over! Plain and simple!!!!
½ August 28, 2017
A very good addition to the series, better than the 3rd. Full of near non-stop action through out. A whole new range of terminators are on show and there are some great SFX/ action scenes. Some might not like the plot as it does differ from the first 3 where the action is pretty much one on one. This is very much a full on war. Go see it.
½ August 22, 2017
The plot is extremely simple as there is just special effects and shooting with the filmmakers showing true laziness to even put in a good script of dialogue other than "AAAH!!" and "Hang on!" - the absence of Schwarzenegger and the true heart of Terminator 1 and 2 that had memorable script writing ("Hasta la vista baby", "I'll be back" "No fate"). Terminator should not be downgraded from James Cameron to whoever was too lazy and impatient to just make a 2-hour presentation of what James Cameron knows should only have been 2 minutes.
½ August 18, 2017
I absolutely adore this movie. It has some flaws but was jam packed with amazingness. great continuation of the storyline with great new innovations to the terminators. Christian Bale elevates this movie to a different level. lots of amazing scenes directed beautifully. awesome action and intense scenes throughout (4 viewings)
½ August 5, 2017
A better than expected adventure set within the active Skynet time period. A welcome cameo from the original bad Arnold terminator, but just poorly executed with sub-par CGI de-aging.
½ July 25, 2017
Grab your rosary beads and beg for salvation (and possibly a refund).
July 19, 2017
The plot is a bit confusing, but it still manages to provide a great amount of action, which sadly suffers from unforgettable characters, barely any violence, and an overall boring plot. Slightly recommended
½ July 18, 2017