The Actress - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Actress Reviews

½ November 24, 2013
I've never been in a situation yet where having a little money made situations worse.

Clinton Jones is a poor seaman that has settled down to a job where he barely makes enough to feed his family and make ends meet. His daughter has just turned seventeen and is about to graduate from high school. She decides her career path is to become an actress, but she doesn't know where to begin to make her dream come true. Jones, who is a bit old fashion, will do whatever he can to make his daughter's dreams come true.

"It isn't only men you have to worry about. Women are worse than men."

George Cukor, director of My Fair Lady, A Star is Born, Adam's Rib, The Philadelphia Story, Born Yesterday, A Life of her Own, Pat and Mike, and Holiday, delivers The Actress. The storyline for this movie is very good and fairly standard for this time period (a struggling family trying to make ends meet). The characters are well developed and the acting is first rate. The cast includes Spencer Tracy, Jean Simmons, Teresa Wright, and Anthony Perkins.

"What she knows you could fit in a frog's ear."

I DVR almost all of Spencer Tracy's pictures that air on cable that I have not seen. This is a movie I DVR'd some time ago and finally got around to watching. I must say this movie has a "Christmas Story" feel to it with ups and downs and a few comedic sequences. Overall, this is a fun movie that is definitely worth watching at least once.

"That's my own blood."

Grade: A-
January 28, 2013
tracey brings the grumpy
August 5, 2012
Cute, but not much more than that.
½ July 1, 2010
The beautiful Jean Simmons stars as Ruth Jones, a 17-year old girl in the early 20th century who wants to be an actress so badly that -- with typical teenage girl angst -- she wants to die. Her mother (Teresa Wright) knows of her dreams, but they are both afraid to tell Ruth's gruff seaman father (Spencer Tracy). When she finally tells him, she gets a surprise as to what she learns of her father's past.

This film would have been entertaining on its own merits, but that it's based on fact makes it that much better. The story is based on the early years of Ruth Gordon, known for such roles as the Satan-worshipping neighbor in Rosemary's Baby and the life-affirming old lady in Harold and Maude.

I am not familiar with Ruth Gordon's early work, but if Jean Simmons' swooning and weeping dramatics are any indication, Ms. Gordon was born to be an actress (although Spencer Tracy nearly steals the film from Simmons.)
jjnxn
April 15, 2010
Jean Simmons is great in this. Spencer Tracy and Teresa Wright good as her parents.
February 23, 2010
I couldn't get through it... BORING! I really don't get the attraction of Spencer Tracy?
½ February 9, 2010
Based on Ruth Gordon's life. She wrote the script. Directed by George Cukor, and the debut of Anthony Perkins.
February 8, 2010
i liked spencer tracy...but damn, jean simmons' voice is annoyingly whiny.