The Hoodlum Reviews

• Oct 19, 2019

Above-average crime drama is tough, but not very surprising; Lawrence Tierney is especially notable as the irredeemable criminal beyond any hope.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 09, 2018

"Alla society's rigged for the swells, and I ain't no sucka fer dat noise, hear me!?" or so Lawrence Tierney's character lets anyone know who's listening. Just out from prison, he promises his Ma he'll play ball, but that is not going to happen. So, yes, there's no surprises here, a bad penny rusting in your pocket, but it mostly plays pretty good - in spite of a low budget - due to the performances of the principals. Tierney is reminiscent of Cagney, and the woman who plays his Ma, Lisa Golm, brings her "A" game most definitely.

• Jul 21, 2015

A good crime noir film with a good storyline.

A good crime noir film with a good storyline.

• Jan 30, 2014

Very good acting by the entire cast.

Very good acting by the entire cast.

• Feb 02, 2013

Lawrence Tierney is an ex-con to kind of tries to go straight, but soon begins planning a robbery. It's a pretty standard low-budget crime-doesn't-pay story and not all that interesting other than the presence of the tough Tierney in the title role.

• Mar 17, 2008

Typical "good brother, bad brother and the mother who loved them both" story. I liked it.

• Sep 05, 2007

No suirprises here. Story of a total loser.

No suirprises here. Story of a total loser.