The Mayor of Casterbridge Reviews

• Sep 03, 2013

hinds is terrifically prideful as the title character......

hinds is terrifically prideful as the title character......

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    May 07, 2013

Though I have not read this Hardy novel, I am familiar with the classic author (Return of the Native, Tess of the d'Urbevilles). This work seemed to be true to Hardy, and to the time and culture he was writing about. It is colorful, lovely to look at, suspenseful when appropriate, and has a measure of tragedy. I like the work BBC does with classics. They are always authentic.

• Feb 13, 2013

I have this and think its really enjoyable more likely it because I enjoy Ciaran hinds as an actor and I am a fan of his work

• Nov 02, 2011

See my review on my website--www.unhealedwound.com--dated November 2. This movie made by A & E and BBC is modern in theme, even though the book was written in 1886!

• Jan 03, 2011

many twists in dis movie and a great movie

many twists in dis movie and a great movie

• Aug 12, 2010

I like when the dude and the girl are in the barn and he tells her that blowing works best.

• Jul 06, 2010

This is a beautiful film, superbly acted by actors of depth and sublety. Powerful, touching and never ham-handed, it brings to life the tragic tale of a complicated man who was not so bad as momentarily misguided and simply an angry sort of drunk. The fact that he knows better and makes his missteps with regret make his end all the more tragic. James Purefoy is a pleasure to behold, and it is wonderful that he never plays to his looks, but disregards them entirely. (Making him all the more irresistable.) Elizabeth Jane is portrayed by a young woman perfect for the part, the only criticism being an overused expression of a crooked smile. I wish she had more range with her coy look, but perhaps that is all that comes out with a genuine emotion for this woman. Wish they'd spent a few more dollars on the musical score. Polly Walker, Ciaran Hines and James Purefoy happily all hooked up again for the fabulous two season series "Rome", which is breathtaking. But this film is a jewel and shouldn't be missed. Of course, Thomas Hardy isn't too bad himself. Highly recommend.

• Jul 06, 2010

This movie can be described in two words: slow and boring. I only made it through the first half. I couldn't stand to watch something so dull for more than 2 hours.

• Mar 06, 2010

unusual drama about the rise and fall of a self made man who undert he influence of alcohol sold his wife and baby. years later.he made amends but withheld vital information regarding parentage. Having amassed a fortune and a romance he swiftly lost everything paying for his sins.

• Aug 21, 2009

A workmanlike production that proves to me that Thomas Hardy stories are better off without Thomas Hardy's voice. I read Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles and hated his incessant, obnoxious preachiness; this movie adaptation of another one of his novels succeeds more as a story on its own without that annoying narrator. It's a fairly interesting story, although the movie does take too long and I would occasionally zone out on the dialogue for scenes at a time. Everything about this as a movie is basically competent, but unexceptional. The best part is probably Ciaran Hinds' performance, but Henchard is really a strange character to have as a protagonist - why should we care about this guy when he is an utter jerk at every opportunity? He's sorry about it, but he keeps on screwing up. While there isn't much wrong with this movie, I would not especially recommend it except as a study guide to the novel.