The Mystery of Chess Boxing (Ninja Checkmate) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mystery of Chess Boxing (Ninja Checkmate) Reviews

September 9, 2012
This movie is the reason i started watching kung fu films. Probably my most favorite out of the Wu Tang Films... The story is good with classic Old School music and sound effects. the camera techs are also top notch and classic along with the revenge tales which make these types of movies so cool to pop in your VCR. Michael Harbour Must be High and have no knowledge of classic eastern action cinema. Tell him I said it.
January 20, 2012
The Ghostface Killer
½ December 8, 2011
Good kung fu fighting, but repetitive. Ten minutes or so of fun kung fu training. Not as much plot as even the average old school kung fu flick. Dependable entertainment for the aficionado but nothing to recommend it beyond that devoted audience.
½ October 14, 2011
Out to avenge his father, Le Yi Min plays a naive student trying to learn at a kung fu school. When he is discovered with a villain's special pendant, he is kicked out and must learn five element kung fu in order to avenge his father.

The movie works because it is grounded in back story and character development. We see the villain killing people, but we do not know why. It keeps us engaged until we discover why he is doing what he is doing.

Throw in some cool training montages and a great final battle (fire beats gold, gold breaks wood, wood absorbs water, water puts out fire), The Mystery of Chess Boxing is a solid entry in the martial arts genre.
September 4, 2011
This is one of the top 10 best martial arts movies ever made. I had the pleasure of seeing this movie on 42nd Street, in New York City back in the late 70's. There wasn't a riot when I watched it, but the theater was packed. When it came to the final battle, I would say it was one of the most epic martial arts fight scene ever staged. The crowd went absolutely wild. It is worth watching and Ghost Face Killer is a terrific villain.
½ April 22, 2010
March 17, 2010
one of the greatest Kung Fu movies ever. Period,
½ January 12, 2010
FIVE ELEMENTS? GHOST FACED KILLER?!
½ October 14, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
July 21, 2009
Ninja Checkmate from it's premiere in New York to it's current status will always be a martial-arts film that will be talked about for ages. Controversy surrounded this film for so long, a riot broke out at the premiere, making it's antagonist, one the greatest movie villains in history. Ghost Faced Killer is the villain that, after a viewing of Ninja Checkmate will show why he's is the subject of intense controversy.

A.F.I should of included Ghost Faced Killer on their list of greatest villains of all time.

All seriousness aside, This movie is the tits! five stars! watch it now!
July 15, 2009
Exceptional Martial-Arts film. Ghost Faced Killer has been the subject of controversy since this film was released, so much that it is hard to believe that when it premiered in New York, Caused a riot. A.F.I should of included Ghost Faced Killer in their list of top villain's. Well, not really but he is an honorable mention.
April 23, 2009
One of my favorite kung fu movies, warts and all. What I mean by that, is that the "americanized" version has the silly dub and bizarre cuts/edits; but that is all part of what makes the movie so endearing.
½ August 2, 2008
kung fu flix cult classic shit get this movie to watch the real ghost face killa destroy all enemy
July 5, 2008
Most Old Kung Fu films are amazingly fun to watch. This one is no exception. The added bonus of this being the film Ghostface Killah got his name from made it a real treat for me.
March 31, 2008
Excellent movie and def. One of my top 10
January 26, 2008
You cannot claim to be a Ghost Faced Killer until you have seen this film at least ten times.
January 5, 2008
the yuen brothers rule
December 20, 2007
best parts: "FIVE ELEMENTS!" and 'the pot lid sound'
December 6, 2007
any wu tang clan fan must see this movie
½ September 30, 2007
classic kung fu as a young lad seeks out a teacher to help him avenge his father's death at the hands of the sadistic ghostface killer. pretty predictable stuff but truly excellent fight scenes culminating in a real cracker at the end. can anyone defeat the ghostface killer's 5 element fist????