The Shortcut - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shortcut Reviews

March 2, 2016
Happy Madison should stick to its strengths. A horror thriller was completely unexpected from this production company, but it wasn't awful. It does feel like a generic teen slasher movie though. The ending was dumb, but the rest of it was watchable. (First and only viewing - 3/1/2016)
April 13, 2015
Highly recommend, genuine thrills and suspense, well filmed, good acting, as well done as 'Halloween'
½ March 8, 2015
They went in a different direction and actually tried to build a story.Key word here is tried.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
A horror thriller movie or well its not quite horror enough in my opinion. The story is decent and similar to "Wrong Turn" in a way but that movie is like 1000x better if you want a horror movie. There are only uknown actors to me in this flick and its not the best performances aswell but for being a low budget flick its not to shabby in the end. Its a movie you can pick up if you are a huge movie buff like me.
December 27, 2014
It's one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen with a weird story
September 6, 2014
brilliant movie. really enjoyed it. had me guessing all the way through. really loved the end part.
DrStrangeblog
January 30, 2014
A bad sign when the characters have to keep mentioning things like "That guy is so creepy" in order to create a foreboding atmosphere. Takes forever to get moving - time listed here says 2:25 but it only feels like that, in reality is not much over 80 minutes - which is unfortunate because there are a couple good late surprises in the story. That doesn't include the pretty dumb final scene, although there are hints leading up to it. Some pleasurably wonky acting mixed among a likable cast, with Dave Franco aping big brother James' dippy demeanor while sunny Katrina Bowden briefly showcases her million dollar stilts.
September 22, 2013
Nothing really got going till the last 20 mins and even then this was scare free. Silly and pointless but ive seen worse
July 28, 2013
I Only Watched The Shortcut For Katrina Bowden And To Be Fair I Stared At Her The Whole Time.
½ July 4, 2013
A moderately entertaining slasher film, The Shortcut has an alright premise and somewhat better than be-level acting, but it fails to deliver on the deaths and gore that are a prerequisite for a good slasher film. It needed to ditch the PG-13 rating and make things way more gory and sleazy.
June 20, 2013
With Shannon Woodward (Raising Hope), Dave Franco (Scrubs), Katrina Bowden (30 Rock) and the story co-written by a relative of Adam Sandler, I had low, low, low expectations of this movie. Even so, I had expected something a little better.
June 18, 2013
For experienced horror fans, no real scares and a fairly obvious story hook, but for the tween set, it is a decently shot and acted entree into the genre with a fleshed out back story and some thought given to the characters.
½ June 12, 2013
Passable horror thanks to its not awful cast
May 15, 2013
The creepy atmosphere was just fine but the ending was really messed up!
July 27, 2012
i lovee dave franco in thiz movie hes is so hot i swear i love him<3
blkbomb
½ July 25, 2012
The Old Man: Next time it will be your blood.

"Some Urban Legends Are Real"

The Shortcut is a very amateurish horror film. It's full of all the standard cliches of these wooded, teenage horror movies. There's a good looking cast, that can't really act, a deranged killer, and not one, but two bad twists. In the end, it was watchable. I'll give it that, but still this is just another bad horror film. The only thing really notable about it, is that it was the first release from Scary Madison, a division of Happy Madison.

The Shortcut follows a group of friends who begin investigating the disappearance of a dog. There's an old man who lives in the woods around an area called The Shortcut. Kids are told not to venture in there, but like any teenager, that just makes it more enticing. The friends end up going back after the first trip doesn't prove anything. The second trip will definitely prove some things, but a couple of twists near the end will make you do nothing but shake your head. Especially the last one. I don't know if writer/director Nicholaus Goossen thought it would work because of the shock effect, but it just came off as another dumb twist for the horror world.

Honestly there isn't too much to say about this one. The two hot girls made the movie slightly easier to watch, but you should know what to expect from this one. It's a direct to DVD feature that doesn't really seem to know what it is doing. It is all just regurgitated plot developments and cliches. We've seen all this stuff a million times and let's face it, we will see it again. When you have a director that knows how to play with these cliches and developments, and use them against us; that's when you have a good film. Goossen doesn't, and The Shortcut is what we are left with.
½ July 15, 2012
The Shortcut isn't the typical B-movie slasher film you'd expect it to be. The movie actually has a plot, a decent story to follow, and a great cast. A great cast can be the difference in a film like this and they defiantly did a great job here. For decades, people had been disappearing from the woods behind Hartley Elementary and no one is sure why, but after something scared the shit out of his little brother, Derek (Drew Seeley) is going to find out what it is. Shannon Woodward of the Riches and James Franco's little brother give strong performances and some comic relief in support of Drew Seeley. Seeley is a newcomer to me, but his intensity was contagious and really helped me get into this film. I also really liked how they moved between modern day and what happened in the past. The seemingly innocent shortcut through the woods has a very interesting story behind it. It's somewhat believable and pretty intense. This is billed as a slasher film, but there isn't much gore at all, what there is doesn't come until much later in the film. The Shortcut won't win any awards, but it will certainly entertain you. It was fun and really is a lot more than it appears to be and I was pleasantly surprised.
½ June 14, 2012
better then what the average person has rated it on here...
the movie was great but the ending was kind of lame. (pretty big twist)
i thought the acting was great and the whole mystery of what surrounds the forest which has the "no trespassing sign" is exciting.
a small boy is dared to go inside by the people at his school and as he goes inside his older brother and these high school friends of his get involved and end up spying on the crazy guy who lives inside.
June 2, 2012
Maybe the movie should've been called something else because it really wasn't much to do with a Shortcut. But the movie did make me jump at parts, and the movie kept me guessing a bit until towards the end when you realise what has happened.
May 22, 2012
No fun? Well another useless slasher attempt.