The Beaver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beaver Reviews

August 8, 2017
great movie about depression makes u think
July 31, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
When all that we see we don't like seeing that we keep deep inside not letting out when it's not what others wish to see. When what others wish to see, it's hidden deep inside of us when what the world we see is not what we wish to see so we let something out to see for us. When we see some places are better left kept away and others we jump right in when we put our wrong face out and about and right face in and out away. When we see others seem to relate and enjoy when we let out when they have more to offer then we others we keep in. When what we see what is in, is trying something new and different that tries to make somethings workout. When we see what is out we can't see living our whole life with, when we like seeing the person inside more. When all what others see on the inside and outside of us we don't see it doesn't always match what we see in and out of others. When we wish others could always see us in this way forever but we can't always seem to get what others see in and out of us. When we do see some people enjoy seeing us in while others want us out to only see the bright side of life and see what time would bring. When we see strange doesn't always seem to be in with others but when it's always known to be out. When we see some people enjoy what comes out to bask all what life has to give and live in the moment without thinking whether we are in or out whether we should let somethings in or leave out and just live life like an open book that needs no editing, not be others words, but just everything we experience we lay out in front us. When we see we lived our life always making puppets in what we could see in them but they never could see in us that we are always kept out, while everyone was kept in. When we see we could make others into puppets in whom font want nothing to do with us in their life but out that we saw ourselves with no purpose. When we see we spent our whole life trying make ourselves at home in other people's home rather then our own we were shut out. When we see we need to take control of the puppets we create, and shut them out so we can put ourselves right back into life again. When we finally see what life is like from the inside and outside to see where we belong anywhere as long as we are with the people we care about and not puppets.
June 12, 2017
Beaver is a strange film with multiple tones and a bizarre story. Dealing with depression or any mental issues with a talking Beaver and having everyone be okay with it is too distracting to allow the emotional core to work.
June 7, 2017
Disturbing in parts. All star cast with Gibson and Foster - so impressive acting. The flick invokes well sympathy for people suffering from depression and mental illness. Script could be better. (How? If the puppet character were hilariously funny and not ultimately evil.)
May 22, 2017
Solid directorial for foster, great character to be portrayed by Gibson who's delivering one of his most sincere and heartfelt performance. Definitely a must see.
April 25, 2017
"A powerful force of a film that takes you behind the eyes of mel gibsons psychosis on and off the screen"
February 26, 2017
The highschool drama going on wasn't that cool
½ February 8, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ February 2, 2017
The Beaver is directed by Jodie Foster, and it stars Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, Anton Yelchin, and Jennifer Lawrence in a drama about a depressed man that was about to commit suicide, until a Beaver puppet that he founded save him from doing so, and was telling him to pull his life back together, and the beaver will be with him to do all the talking. I actually remember about this film a few years ago, and I remember about Mel Gibson talking in an accent with his hand puppet beaver, the fact that they fought each other, and that this movie was during the same year as Mel Gibson's personal problems that spread wide news that hurt his career. I come across this recently on Netflix, and of course I wanted to watch it, which when I finished it, The Beaver was more depressing than I thought, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Mel Gibson did a terrific job with being depressed, while also taking himself serious with the puppet on his hand. The plot is original that I didn't quite know where it's going, especially of how weird it is that works from the writing by Kyle Killen. You know enough about the characterization of them that you understand both perspectives of the situation with the beaver puppet in Mel Gibson's hand. There's also another story about Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence's characters, and that was actually pretty interesting to watch and was quite loving at some aspects. The only problem that I have with the film, is that it can be too depressing for some viewers to handle with the touchy subject matter. Other then that, I really enjoyed The Beaver more that I should've, and can't wait to see Money Monster when I got the time to see it.
½ January 28, 2017
so well done you may need to have a mental illness to be able to connect with this movie like it deserves.
½ January 25, 2017
Very interesting film and very emotional. I like the way they present his depression and how his life evolves around a puppet. I have never felt so much emotion towards a puppet its amazing the emotion they add with this film. But the film did kind of drag but other then that wonderful film.
September 20, 2016
What seems to be a quirky story of a crazy man with a dysfunctional family but which has a deeper narrative about life and happiness. This movie calls into question what a quality life consists of, through the main protagonist played by Mel Gibson who rises to the top of his career and fame by selling a beaver toy which ends up consuming his life and being, holding him hostage until the movie climax where he is forced to free himself of the beaver's subjugation to reground himself again in his most valued fundamentals, such as his family and marriage. This movie is masterfully acted throughout and most importantly gives the viewer a lot to think of, both in terms of understanding the movie but also understanding ourselves in terms of the issues the movie touches upon. I especially found this film interesting as a reflection of Mel Gibson's own life, who was given fame and fortune by Hollywood in the likeness of the beaver, which ended up encroaching upon his freedom as an artist and as an individual, which could be seen from his blacklisting from Hollywood after the production of the Passion of the Christ movie. The very career he had created for himself, ended up enslaving him, until he took the extremely brave position of cutting it off, to reground himself in his true being, unsatisfied by the act of "everything being OK," but rather tearing it all down to go back to the basic fundamentals of what brings him joy and impassions him. Many people living brainlessly in our times, who are too fearful to question their lives or change would do good to see this film and give these issues some thought.
July 31, 2016
Big Mel Gibson fan and I enjoyed this.
July 17, 2016
Tonight, on the Sundance channel: "I'm Sorry I Said Awful Things About the Jews and Called a Woman Sugartits - the Movie!"
½ June 19, 2016
this film was NOT what i thought it was going to be -- what an interesting story! i thought both Mel and Jodi did fantastic jobs playing their roles too; it's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes when you've have no exposure to the illness, but they did a great job making me feel frustrated and sort of defeated at their situation. psychological issues are crazy interesting; i wish i knew more about them.
½ February 7, 2016
Like most viewers you won't know whether to laugh or cry when a grown man starts to deal through a puppet to deal with his depression. The tendency is that this is a more serious film than it looks. Sadly, it doesn't quite reach the audience with what it set out to do. The fantastic final scene hints at what could have been and makes you think much more fondly of the film than the 90 minutes before that.
January 28, 2016
The most fascinating part of this film was The Beaver accent. I thought it was hilarious, and for me, carried this film. Mel Gibson delivered a masterful performance that will be underrated simply because of his personal strife. Jodie Foster tries to deliver a serious performance, but for me just not believable.

On an important note, this is a serious movie about mental illness. However, the Beaver character's dominance mostly overshadowed this theme.

Where most films start off strong but then fizzle out towards the end, The Beaver does the complete opposite! The steady and dragging pace of the plot speeds up towards the end in an exciting and rectifying finale. This film should have received a better reception as it is well done and much better than your standard Hollywood fare. Perhaps it's because Mel Gibson is now the Hollywood anti-hero.
½ December 27, 2015
Good performances and an interesting thoughtful sotry