The Beaver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beaver Reviews

September 20, 2016
What seems to be a quirky story of a crazy man with a dysfunctional family but which has a deeper narrative about life and happiness. This movie calls into question what a quality life consists of, through the main protagonist played by Mel Gibson who rises to the top of his career and fame by selling a beaver toy which ends up consuming his life and being, holding him hostage until the movie climax where he is forced to free himself of the beaver's subjugation to reground himself again in his most valued fundamentals, such as his family and marriage. This movie is masterfully acted throughout and most importantly gives the viewer a lot to think of, both in terms of understanding the movie but also understanding ourselves in terms of the issues the movie touches upon. I especially found this film interesting as a reflection of Mel Gibson's own life, who was given fame and fortune by Hollywood in the likeness of the beaver, which ended up encroaching upon his freedom as an artist and as an individual, which could be seen from his blacklisting from Hollywood after the production of the Passion of the Christ movie. The very career he had created for himself, ended up enslaving him, until he took the extremely brave position of cutting it off, to reground himself in his true being, unsatisfied by the act of "everything being OK," but rather tearing it all down to go back to the basic fundamentals of what brings him joy and impassions him. Many people living brainlessly in our times, who are too fearful to question their lives or change would do good to see this film and give these issues some thought.
July 31, 2016
Big Mel Gibson fan and I enjoyed this.
July 17, 2016
Tonight, on the Sundance channel: "I'm Sorry I Said Awful Things About the Jews and Called a Woman Sugartits - the Movie!"
½ June 19, 2016
this film was NOT what i thought it was going to be -- what an interesting story! i thought both Mel and Jodi did fantastic jobs playing their roles too; it's hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes when you've have no exposure to the illness, but they did a great job making me feel frustrated and sort of defeated at their situation. psychological issues are crazy interesting; i wish i knew more about them.
½ February 7, 2016
Like most viewers you won't know whether to laugh or cry when a grown man starts to deal through a puppet to deal with his depression. The tendency is that this is a more serious film than it looks. Sadly, it doesn't quite reach the audience with what it set out to do. The fantastic final scene hints at what could have been and makes you think much more fondly of the film than the 90 minutes before that.
January 28, 2016
The most fascinating part of this film was The Beaver accent. I thought it was hilarious, and for me, carried this film. Mel Gibson delivered a masterful performance that will be underrated simply because of his personal strife. Jodie Foster tries to deliver a serious performance, but for me just not believable.

On an important note, this is a serious movie about mental illness. However, the Beaver character's dominance mostly overshadowed this theme.

Where most films start off strong but then fizzle out towards the end, The Beaver does the complete opposite! The steady and dragging pace of the plot speeds up towards the end in an exciting and rectifying finale. This film should have received a better reception as it is well done and much better than your standard Hollywood fare. Perhaps it's because Mel Gibson is now the Hollywood anti-hero.
½ December 27, 2015
Good performances and an interesting thoughtful sotry
½ November 13, 2015
Strange and not in a good way. What was the purpose of this film?
August 14, 2015
Really enjoyed this one!
½ August 9, 2015
Gibson should stick to the action packed violent ones I think, this ones pretty naff!
½ July 22, 2015
Movie's crazy, but in an endearing, honest way.
½ June 27, 2015
Excellent collaboration between Foster as both director and co-star and Gibson as committed lead in a story about addressing schizophrenia.
½ June 4, 2015
an underrated movie.
½ June 4, 2015
No. The Beaver isn't TERRIBLE. People are only saying that because Mel Gibson is the star and they instantly think about the time he went on a drunken anti-Semitic rant.

Gibson did that offscreen. Onscreen, he's still a tremendous actor. The Beaver is well-directed by Jodie Foster and goes to some really dark places, but like in Roger Ebert's review, I just had trouble taking the screenplay seriously. A man curing his depression by creating a character through a beaver hand puppet?

The movie is absurd and has some effective moments, but I'm not quite sure I can recommend it.
May 31, 2015
Mel Gibson with a beaver puppet - WTF?!?
May 16, 2015
Don't like Mel Gibson, but the overall movie was good. The inner struggle, the way to hide it with a "double personality"... brilliant...
March 25, 2015
The problem here lies solely with the script--it is hugely disjointed not with tones, but with different sub-plots and meanders very sloppily with several different characters. However, I love this movie solely because of Mel Gibson's performance--he is truly riveting. He actually sells the a man so hopelessly depressed man finding one true solace and hope in this beaver puppet. (I honestly thought Gibson was channeling his inner Ray Winstone.)
And I personally root for movies that do try to convey mental illness and not trying to sugar-coat it in the slightest.
February 24, 2015
if not for Gibson's trouble at the time of its release, i think this movie would be much more high-regarded. and it should. when first heard the storyline i thought it was absurd. was very pleasantly surprised. by both Gibson and Foster's directing. highly recommended.
½ February 20, 2015
Funny, quirky, but routine concept made intriguing by strong, heartfelt performances, especially by the troubled and much maligned Mel Gibson - this movie Def seemed like a humble apology.
All the supporting players have poured their hearts into this story as well. Too bad it was not a better movie.
For what is displayed here, you will find some honest family conversations.
Its a worthy effort.
Also, there is a thinly veiled message from Gibson that says -
I was wrong. Plz forgive my stupidity, and if possible, dont hate me.
With this in mind, when u see the film, you will more likely understand this moviestar and filmmakers underlying request and his attempt at a humorous yet sincere bid for forgiveness.
I enjoyed this for the most part, and I'm lightly recommending it.
Jody Fosters direction is compassionate and worthy of note.

3.5 out of 5 adult puppet skits