The Belko Experiment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Belko Experiment Reviews

½ August 17, 2017
Makes multiple mistakes along the way but for a direct to redbox/streaming services movie, Belko Experiment manages to be enjoyable enough. There's nothing deeply thought provoking or that revolutionary about the way it all plays out.
August 15, 2017
The Belko Experiment felt like it should've been a black comedy, given that the script was penned by James Gunn, but the movie isn't satirical enough to be funny.

Instead, Greg McLean turned Gunn's script into a gory grindhouse horror movie, which is more of his specialty. It's not a bad idea, but for a movie about people killing each other, it's very unimaginative and rather boring.

I understand the movie was supposed to explore the morality conflicts between characters and the things people would do to ensure their own survival, but the movie's approach to the human condition doesn't go below surface level, and what we get instead is an inferior version of Battle Royale, The Hunger Games, and even The Purge.

I finished the movie thinking it was at least two hours long. Nope! It's an hour and a half, but it certainly felt a lot longer. One of the things that ruined the pacing of this film is they keep cutting back to certain characters, and you'd think they'd be more important later on because the movie puts a lot of time into these characters, but they just get killed off.

And even as a grindhouse horror movie, there isn't enough creative kills to please even genre enthusiasts. I'm sure they'll enjoy parts of the film, but I'm also sure that they've seen better B-movies just like it.

The Belko Experiment isn't a bad film. The reason I'm giving the movie two stars is because I see a better movie somewhere in this generic, run-of-the-mill grindhouse horror. This movie could've been great under a different director, even with the same script.
August 12, 2017
I kinda liked it. Decent plot and a lot of action to keep you watching. The film lost me at the end. It could have been so much better. But overall the film was alright.
August 12, 2017
Although there is a lot of suspense, it's impossible to shake off the feeling that this film is a giant waste of potential when it comes to its social commentary, which is obvious but not properly delivered.
August 12, 2017
I had a lot of fun watching it. I'd watch the sequel.
August 9, 2017
Nice little carnage thriller/horror.....the who and why are unimportant as to who gets it next and how. Solid but not real memorable.
½ August 9, 2017
A concept we've seen done before and better. The Belko Experiment is rather forgettable, lack-luster and worst of all safe.
August 8, 2017
Terrible plot, horrible acting. Normally enjoy mind game films, but this one was torture to watch. The acting was far below average, the story was not interesting, and the ending is not only predictable, but lame. Gave it a two star rating because there are worse movies out there, but this one is not worth anyone's time.
August 8, 2017
The Belko Experiment is one tension-filled thriller! From start to finish there's not a moment lost between the insane carnage and the nerve wracking suspense. Tony Goldwyn played his part expertly in bringing out the villain within him. But in the end, it's the proper pace and unpredictability of the film that really makes it an interesting experience.
½ August 8, 2017
WORST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN
½ August 7, 2017
It's just a bunch of people killing each other the whole. some scenes had me laughing where I shouldn't have. the concept is pretty cool, and the reactions of the characters are realistic, but it was so gory it took away from the story.
½ August 6, 2017
Fun predictable genre gore. Lacking the comedy the premise promises.
August 6, 2017
Could've been better than it is, but sadly fell a bit flat. I enjoyed how it got straight to it, but felt too short
½ August 4, 2017
The only things I enjoyed in this movie were clearly influenced by James Gunn. However, in the end the movie was really predictable and that made it kind of boring.
August 4, 2017
another moronic waste of time
August 4, 2017
"The Belko Experiment is an artistically, bloody experiment that goes nowhere"
DVD Movie Review: The Belko Experiment
Date Viewed: July 4 2017
Directed By Greg McLean (Wolf Creek and The Darkness)
Written By James Gunn
Starring: John Gallagher Jr., Tony Goldwyn, Adria Arjona, John C. McGinley, Josh Brener, Melonie Diaz, David Del Rio, Stephen Blackehart, Rusty Schwimmer, Sean Gunn, Owain Yeoman, Abraham Benrubi, David Dastmalchian, James Earl and Michael Rooker.

"The Belko Experiment" is an artistically, bloody experiment that goes nowhere. The premise is intriguing but the movie wears out our welcome real fast with it's bland and over-the-top caricatures and repetitious gore. In these disturbing times right now, it's refreshing to see a horror movie about corporate downsizing with a really high and grisly body count but "The Belko Experiment" was just to hard to stomach for me.

Set in Bogotá, Colombia, the film centers around a high-rise office building known as Belko Industries where 80 people are present. Every employee or person in the building has a tracking device implanted in the base of their head because in case if they are kidnapped or something, the company will easily find them. Does anybody in the building find this a little suspicious? Our main characters are American employees Mike Milch (John Gallagher Jr. from "10 Cloverfield Lane"), his girlfriend, Leandra (Adria Arjona), Belko COO Barry Norris (Tony Goldwyn), a newly hired Latina named Dany Wilkins (Melonie Diaz), a socially awkward executive, Wendell Dukes (John C. McGinley) who develops a perverted attraction to Leandra and a maintenance worker, Bud Melks (Michael Rooker).

Suddenly, hard steel shutters seal off all the windows and doors of the building and a mysterious voice (Gregg Henry) coming from the building's intercom system instructs the 80 employees to participate in a deadly game. Most of the employees think that it's a joke but hell breaks loose real fast when four people get their heads blown up thanks to tracking device attached to their heads. The employees can't cut off the tracking devices off of their heads because if they do everybody dies. If somebody tries to sent a signal for help on top of the building's roof, the Belko security guards will shoot them dead.

Completely locked in with no way out, the mysterious voice tells the remaining 76 employees that unless 30 people are dead within 2 hours, 60 people will get the axe. Frightened and afraid, the employees split into two factions, the evil side is led by Barry and Wendell because Tony Goldwyn always plays a bad guy in his movies and John C. McGinley is all of the above, sleazebag, A-hole, bastard, jerk-off, murderer, he has a whole list. Meanwhile, the good side led by Milch and Leandra does everything they can to stay calm and find another way out of this but it all becomes clear to them that they have to dive deep into their worst instincts and kill, kill, kill, kill, KILL! their way out of this horrific game if they want to see the light of day again.

Directed by Greg McLean (Wolf Creek and The Darkness) and written by James Gunn (Slither, Super, Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) , "The Belko Experiment" is indeed a bloody movie but it also could've been a really nasty satire about office politics and dark corporate order. Instead "The Belko Experiment" settles as a routine horror movie with a lot of bleakness and relentless gore. The characters are not well-written and the movie fails to bring out an edgy bite.

"The Belko Experiment" needed more than just a body count, it needed to have a subtext or at least a solidly better script.
August 3, 2017
The Purge series and Circle go over the same topic but done much better.
August 3, 2017
Fun, thrilling, disturbing!
August 2, 2017
You HAVE to LOVE the GENRE it great!
Bradley T. Johnson
½ August 2, 2017
The Belko Experiment delivers almost exactly what people expect from the film. However, underneath all of the gory carnage, the complete lack of surprise or originality, make it a film that won't be longtime remembered like its related counterpart Battle Royale. It is a mostly unclever attempt to inject some meaning into the well-worn horror-thriller template, but the commentary on human behavior is shoe-horned so late and haphazardly into the movie, it doesn't fully land. This could have been a savagely smart thriller, but it ends up just being messily savage for savage sake. Rating: 49