The Bling Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bling Ring Reviews

November 21, 2017
The Bling Ring is directed and written by Sofia Coppola, and it stars Katie Chang, Israel Broussard, and Emma Watson in a crime film about a group of high school students that realizes that they can easily break into celebrities' houses when they're off doing other things, and they've been doing it for a long time. When I first saw this movie, I thought it was fine, but was kind of bored of the film, didn't remember anything about the characters, and Power by Kanye West was in this. So of course I revisited this film to see if it improved when I got older, or if it got worse, I can say that it definitely was better than what I remember. The acting is solid from a bunch of unknown kid actors that did very well of acting like actual teenagers, especially Emma Watson who is really funny as she acts like a bit of a valley girl, and it doesn't sound annoying and too obvious as you wouldn't really know about whether she's telling the truth or not, although some moments can be obvious as you already know about their actions. I do like how subtle it is with social media that's not a main focus, and it's surprisingly done well which is a rarity in films lately. The way it's filmed is fantastic as it's the first to be filmed in digital from Sofia Coppola, and it takes some advantages of it as it has scenes that were from the computer based on the qualities of it, it has a long shot of the outside of a house where you see people robbing the place, it has some slow motions that were paced very well, and it actually has videos from actual interviews or news where it talks about the actual event that happened. The score is probably the best part of the film for me as it has a bunch of songs that are very classy, it fits with the tone, and it gets me excited that makes my head bop back and forward, which reminded me of Project X because of it's classy soundtrack, even though that's a terrible film and this isn't. The issues that I remembered from my first viewing are in this also. Even though I remember more about the characters in my second viewing, it's only mostly in exposition, which is a different method from what Sofia Coppola typically does from her other films, which I don't necessarily like, but there were some character moments that are more or less the director's style. I also remembered that a lot of the film was the kids robbing places, and not much else that's not that, and my memory serves right on that as it did felt repetitive throughout the film. So while The Bling Ring is just as good as Sofia Coppola's other films from source material but not as special as the non-source material films, I'll rewatch this any day over Marie Antoinette and The Virgin Suicides to an extent only for the soundtrack.
November 7, 2017
If you need a fix of trash class culture your better off watching 'Spring Breakers' instead. This film is worth avoiding.
June 3, 2017
without Emma i would not have given this movie 1 star. She is the only thing saving this mess
May 11, 2017
I just remembered that I tried to watch this because of Emma Watson. I know she was trying a distinct departure from HP, but ooooooh boy. It's rare that I'll actually turn a movie off, but I despised these spoiled princesses so much that I couldn't keep going. Perhaps there's some clever commentary on L.A. youth culture, but I'll never know.
April 12, 2017
Incredible flick based on true events in LA. The most vapid set of teenagers around carry off a series of celebrity break-ins and steal millions of dollars of goods. Coppola's direction and the intricate editing hit the mark in conveying the characters' lives. Though really funny in places, it's chilling to watch this piece again after seeing it when it first came out. It seems to be prescient of a society gone mad.
½ March 27, 2017
Literally can't give any less stars, this movie was awful and pointless. Half the movie was just slow boring footage of celebrities or tv shows, and the other half was slow moving dialogue and robberies. The only upside to this movie was Emma Watson licking her lips for that half second.
March 25, 2017
There's some good stuff here, but I feel like there could've been more.
½ March 4, 2017
"very disappointing. filmed in a weird way as well."
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 5, 2016
A fun, fine movie that does have some things that do get repetitive after a while, but Emma Watson killed it in her role.
½ November 5, 2016
The film is a bit lacking in the story department, which is expected since it's based off of a single article in a magazine, but it is a well-made film. I'll never watch it again though, but Emma Watson is beautiful to look at.
September 4, 2016
Like all Sophia Coppola movies, this looks pretty but leaves zero lasting impression.
½ August 19, 2016
Perfect director for this.
August 19, 2016
Well delivered catchy storyline accompanied by beautiful camerawork.
½ August 17, 2016
Just seeing this movie after two years of its release, I still think it's pretty accurate. Off the bat I enjoyed the movie but was it good? It has its flaws but most of them come from its storyline and it being a little boring at moments.
½ August 14, 2016
These characters are such bitchy, annoying, and careless people...and the actors kill their f*cking roles. I found myself riveted as the main characters here would just keep getting into more and more deep trouble as the film went on. This is my favorite performance from Emma Watson.

Grade: A-
½ July 25, 2016
Emma Watson is the only member of the cast who was good and the only thing good about the film as well.
½ July 24, 2016
(2.5 stars)
If you like it then put Bling Ring on it....and they'll steal it for you? Okay that motto is a working progress but so is this movie apparently as showing pretentious teens having fun stealing from celebrity homes seems to be all there is to it. The real life story is quite interesting but this adaptation is as shallow as its characters since it fails to delve below the surface of the antics. While there is nothing in particular which makes me dislike the film, there is also nothing present which can be praised or substantively discussed, hence the mediocre score.
July 17, 2016
Boring and mind numbing. I wanted to reach into the screen and slap these stupid kids
July 9, 2016
"The Bling Ring" benefits from its cinematography by making the right choices in film shots, however, the plot suffers a bit by the fact that its characters are underdeveloped.