The Book of Eli - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Book of Eli Reviews

September 19, 2017
I was really shocked just how gripping the story was, when there was a mention of a important book, I guessed something religious. What surprised me the most about this film is that not once did it lose my attention, even when it was confirmed that it was a religious story.

I felt there would be a big shocking moment from the start, but in no way did I see this coming, it was an amazing ending. It's one of them films that you could watch again straight after, just to see things in a new light, knowing what you now know. You kick yourself when you realise, certain bits stand out more.

I watched The Book of Eli because a friend explained it as a apocalyptic film, it was so much more.
September 3, 2017
The Tomatometer rating is pretty accurate.
While the acting is good to excellent, the director failed the movie as science fiction. We are expected to believe that three decades after the fall of civilization due to nuclear holocaust..., only Eli has a bow, and nobody that survived has ever figured out how to make another, OR how to make black powder weapons? If not Outlaw Josey Whales style revolvers, then what about flintlocks? OH but motor cycles, they can keep producing tires (even if they found unused motor cycle tires, they would've rotted on the shelves) and produce fuel and motor oil for the motor cycles and cars? One clown has a chain saw.....
July 8, 2017
Expected more...But has a few good scenes...
July 7, 2017
Despite its unevenness, this apocalyptic book-to-film adaptation does have some stylish fun and solid performances.
June 10, 2017
Adequate but forgettable.
June 3, 2017
A film built around Denzel. Occasions of above average action and little thrills sprinkled here and there. The overall tone and added humor was enjoyable. The film did lack when it came to execution however. Its poor pacing and a lack of focus were the biggest issues.
May 31, 2017
A grim, post-apocalyptic tale that has more than a few surprises in store, The Book of Eli is passable movie fare.
May 29, 2017
love this film. Aust see if your a Denzal fan.
½ May 25, 2017
The action is great, but there aren't too many scenes of it. The rest just isn't interesting or entertaining, but Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis perform well enough. The color is alright, it's like cool and boring, it's hard to explain. It's like cool looking, but only if used correctly or if the movie is interesting, otherwise it's boring. I feel like most people who like this are either hardcore religious people that don't care about if a movie is actually good (like people that like the God's Not Dead movies) and people who just like the end.
May 18, 2017
Denzel Washington kills it in this post-apocalyptic action thriller, the rest of the cast is also very good and the film is incredibly underrated in terms of cinematography. A very entertaining film that does exactly what you would want a film like this to do
May 13, 2017
Stop hating! Stop hating, in Jesus name! This was an Awesome movie! Great action, excitement, adventure, with an explosive exciting plot! Denzil is superb making his transition into the action genre! A must see for all action enthusiast! Go watch it!
May 10, 2017
The good vs. evil is evident but the production is quite good. The emotive last 30 minutes can reach beyond its cinematic tropes.
May 6, 2017
Heaven is invading Hollywood. People are getting sick of the bleak and craving the light. This is a great movie that shows what happens when someone studies the atheist dictator, Mussolini versus someone that follows Christ. It seems to paint atheism in a bad light which isn't exactly fair but it makes sense because of the post-apocalyptic time it's set in. People get desperate, and when there is no hope there are no rules.
April 17, 2017
A movie where a black guy beats white guys on behalf of God can only please so many
April 13, 2017
What will happen whit humanity without following the Word? We better believe and act accordingly.
½ April 13, 2017
It's a crappy movie that only gets worse with the plot twist.
½ April 8, 2017
So the main theme is that the bible will help humanity get it together after the apocalypse....a waste of a good Saturday night this movie was....Gary Oldman what were you thinking ???
½ April 2, 2017
I was expecting something way better.
March 28, 2017
The Book of Eli is a film that I had not heard good things about, so I just assumed it was going to be underwhelming. I was delighted to see that my expectations were way off. This is a very well-made movie with a cool premise. The movie takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where everything we consider mundane now is a highly-valued commodity. I loved how people would barter with the most ridiculous items (including some that I can?t imagine they?d actually have a use for in their society.) It was a well-established world, and most of the world-building wasn?t done with pointless exposition. You?d catch little things about what happened, but only in passing as a natural part of another conversation.

Denzel Washington was great in the lead role. He has a quiet dignity that Eli needed, and also is believable as someone who could take out a gang of thugs. I always like a hero with a focused vision and a willingness to sacrifice everything for what he believes in. Then there is Gary Oldman, who is the guy you always want as your antagonist. He delivers a number of great speeches that make his character much more interesting than just a typical mustache-twirling bad guy. He is subdued early on and only goes over-the-top with his performance when the script calls for it. Mila Kunis is the other lead in the film. She?s kind of an enigma to me, because I can?t tell if she?s a bad actress or if she?s just not asked to do much. She doesn?t do anything to hurt The Book of Eli, but I?d also say she doesn?t add anything to it.

The story was crafted very well, and the action sequences were superb. I loved some of the inventive methods the directors used to film the action, which made it stylized but still realistic. I enjoyed the slow build to the story, and how they used little surprises to keep you guessing at what happened next. There were some slight flaws in execution, and there are certainly some derivative elements to the story, but I still liked it quite a bit. The rest of this review will have to focus on spoilers, if you don?t want anything spoiled then stop reading here. I knew both of the big spoilers in this movie before watching and I didn?t feel it hurt the experience at all, but it still might play better if you don?t know.

The first big reveal is that the most valued commodity for Eli and Carnegie is the Bible. I thought that was a brilliant move, because it meant different things to both of the characters, just as it does in our day and age. Some use it to enlighten or guide their own path, and some use it to manipulate and control others. This theme that religion can be the ultimate power was a fascinating way to take the story, and I loved it. However, I didn?t love that Eli had the entire book memorized verbatim. It pushed the believability a bit far, because it seems daunting even for someone with an eidetic memory. This makes it seem like his abilities are supernatural, but perhaps that fits the intended narrative since he started his journey based on a religious vision, and seemed to have divine intervention protecting him from death.

The final big reveal is Eli?s blindness. This one I had a much more difficult time accepting. It works as a plot point, so they can give the book to Carnegie without actually giving it to him, but it wasn?t set up well enough. I thought they were fighting so hard to NOT reveal it that they almost made it impossible to be true. The way he looks around in early scenes doesn?t jive with a typical blind person. The way he can fight is similar to a superhero like Daredevil, which seemed a bit far-fetched. I appreciated the hints, like his heightened sense of smell, but it just seems like something we couldn?t possibly figure out without them telling us at the end. That minor quibble aside, The Book of Eli is still a strong movie and one I?ll try to watch again soon.
February 27, 2017
I've always been a Denzel fan, so I automatically enjoyed this a little bit no matter what. Taking place in a dystopian society, Eli is on a journey West with special cargo. The book he carries appears to be a Bible, possibly the last Bible of existence. Due to the scarcity, this book is worth a great amount and whoever is in possession holds a great amount of power. Along the way, Eli encounters a group of men whose leader wants the Bible for himself. Throughout most of the movie Eli fights off this gang of men as he continues to travel West to the supposed safe ground. Not a bad movie, but was I am not really into dystopian/post-apocolypcitc scenarios like such. The fight scenes were entertaining and overall I wasn't displeased. Three stars out of five. Good but not great.