The Book of Eli - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Book of Eli Reviews

½ February 18, 2017
The post apocalyptic film that's great....
½ January 26, 2017
Meh. Decent but kind of pretentious and klunky. The acting was pretty good, and the story was kind of investing despite being cliched (like, what was it leading up to? Oh, that). The plot twist made me think, "Woah!, Wait, what? How? What? Nooo..."
½ January 5, 2017
I love the post apocalyptic theme and settings in this movie. Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, and the others were great in this movie. This movie does feel slow paced and plots were not smooth but the story and character were well entertaining. I'll say this is a good movie and i'll recommend it!
December 30, 2016
It is not a good movie to watch
½ November 25, 2016
Very interesting concept, quite promising, but the ridiculous amount of plot holes was just overwhelming. Gary Oldman revisited his Zorg character and Denzel was just being Denzel.
November 24, 2016
Compelling in its message on the power of text, but visually mediocre.
November 6, 2016
En una época post-apocalíptica, el mundo ha tomado un giro inusual hacia un presente violento y desolador. Se cree que un libro contiene la información necesaria para garantizar el futuro de la humanidad y es protegido por Eli, un hombre misterioso, pero capaz de hacer todo para proteger el libro. Con Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman y Mila Kunis.
October 26, 2016
Good ideas, bad exec
September 25, 2016
not only did it represent an amazing view of disabled heroes and coloured heroes for the first time. this is the best movie ive watched in the post apocalyptic world.
September 19, 2016
The Book of Eli is directed by the Hughes Brothers, and it stars Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, and Mila Kunis in a apocalyptic film about a man who was told to bring a specific book to the west, while having to deal with people that are willing to take his book away from him, whatever it takes. I was going to type the review earlier on as I was watching this film months ago, but I didn't get to finish it as the movie expired on demand from DirecTV. Luckily it doesn't matter as I managed to finally get to finish the film recently, and I'm surprised that I didn't get to watch it earlier on as this is honestly a fantastic film. Denzel Washington is probably a bit more subdued in this than his usual roles that he plays, but he's still great in it as an intimidating person that really shouldn't be messed around with as he's on a mission. Gary Oldman is always having a fun time playing a bad guy, although he doesn't play it over the top as his character plays as a relaxed man that wants to get a specific book that he had in his childhood, so you weren't quite sure at first whether he's a bad guy or not. I was a bit worried that Mila Kunis was going to act as the annoying sidekick to Denzel Washington's character, but there was never a moment that I didn't find her annoying in this, and actually felt sorry for her as the movie progresses. I really like apocalyptic setting that it takes place at because it looks very genuine, and it kind of looks pretty with the nice shots that they use for the mostly lifeless world that the characters have to live in. This is Atticus Ross's first featured length film as a composer, and it made it feel like he has done this before, which he kind of did in a segment in New York, I Love You, but not as a full length movie, which he did amazing in this with Leopold Ross and Claudia Sarne that brings in a lot of life and oomph to the empty world that the movie gives in to. The action scenes are a lot of fun to watch with the camera going around or in the action from what the other characters are doing, which I haven't seen that lately, and it has a lot of style in them that I really like. The writing by Gary Whitta is well written that kept me interested in what's going on, and I was surprised to find out that it's the same person that co-wrote a very boring film called After Earth with M. Night Shyamalan. I know some people had problems with the plot, but I thought it was fine, and while it might reach its grasp with some viewers, it didn't bother me and kept being invested with the film. I remember that there was going to be a twist at the end, but I wasn't quite sure what it was, which made me guess some answers. When it got there, I was close, but was wrong, and I liked the twist that it brought me. I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, knowing that it didn't do well critic and user review wise, but I guess The Book of Eli was more of my taste than I thought, so I think it's a very underrated film for that one.
½ September 7, 2016
Completely disappointment. The music is the only good thing.
September 5, 2016
How and why did Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, and Mila Kunis even sign for this film?
September 4, 2016
The plot twist at the end was a little too much. Good performance from Denzel. Sort of felt like a beats by Dre commercial haha
July 30, 2016
I like how they give so much power to the Book, and have a number of quoted verses. But the performances themselves were poor to say the least. I expect more from Oldman and Washington.
July 17, 2016
The Book of Eli is flawed, overambitious, and, in the end, beyond ludicrous - but how refreshing it is to see a post-apocalyptic film with such style, such ideas, and, these days, any ambition at all.
½ July 7, 2016
Why did they have to ruin a magnificently crafted world and bunch of characters with heavy handed christian shite? I don't know. I wish I could just watch the first half and burn the the second from my memory.
½ July 7, 2016
Denzel Washington is one of the most watchable people in film for mine (Kunis is certainly no strain to watch either). Despite my aversion to it thematically in some ways (the book has always been more Oldman than Washington in my opinion), I found it intriguing enough to watch a few times. Great story, well put together.
½ May 26, 2016
Gritty, violent but surprisingly spiritual.
½ May 21, 2016
I love a good post apocalyptic film.
½ April 24, 2016
Somehow this film slipped past my radar back in 2010. It's been about 5 years since it came out and I was surprised I hadn't heard of it. Albert and Allen Hughes of 'Dead Presidents' fame (1995) join up with Denzel Washington as the titular character Eli, in this post apocalyptic story.

The end of the world has come and the remaining survivors are struggling in an environment that has been devastated by drought and what is known as "The Flash." One has to assume that the end of the world was a long and devastating war. Enter Eli who is a man on a mission from what we have to assume is God. He travels the wastelands and is an exceptionally skilled fighter.

The plot is a linear story and at most times a little predictable, but I was impressed with the dialogue and mostly with the actors. Denzel Washington has few scenes with Gary Oldman together, but both of them played well of each other. At times I thought the survivors were a little... well fat to be honest. People seemed to still be in the same relatively physical condition despite the lack of food and water. We get a few hints at the events that led up to the end of the world, and there is a lot of Biblical allusions in Eli's journey. Overall it was enjoyable. Actress Mila Kunis sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of her beauty at the end of the world, but her acting is solid enough.

If you don't mind the religious rhetoric and obvious Christian hypocrisy (with all the violence in the film), then you'll love this flick. It is a A Post-Apoc Christian Story with Violence.

2.5