The Book of Eli - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Book of Eli Reviews

½ November 9, 2017
Resident Evil with a bible
October 20, 2017
Another example of critics getting it wrong, and the audience getting it right in my opinion, awesome movie and awesome soundtrack!
October 7, 2017
Basically, this is Mad Max, Children of Men, and Fahrenheit 451 all rolled up into one, and I love every minute of it. Easily my favorite Denzel Washington movie. Insane visuals, great action, a fascinating world, sound design that packs a punch, and great acting from Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis. It's been years since I saw this, but I loved it the first time I saw it, and loved it even more the second time. Easily recommended for anybody who loves post apocalyptic stories.

Personal Grade: S++
Technical Score: 96%
October 1, 2017
Mad Max meets Fahrenheit 451?!?! The cinematography is jaw-breaking, Mila Kunis is gorgeous, but the film remains forgettable.
September 19, 2017
I was really shocked just how gripping the story was, when there was a mention of a important book, I guessed something religious. What surprised me the most about this film is that not once did it lose my attention, even when it was confirmed that it was a religious story.

I felt there would be a big shocking moment from the start, but in no way did I see this coming, it was an amazing ending. It's one of them films that you could watch again straight after, just to see things in a new light, knowing what you now know. You kick yourself when you realise, certain bits stand out more.

I watched The Book of Eli because a friend explained it as a apocalyptic film, it was so much more.
September 3, 2017
The Tomatometer rating is pretty accurate.
While the acting is good to excellent, the director failed the movie as science fiction. We are expected to believe that three decades after the fall of civilization due to nuclear holocaust..., only Eli has a bow, and nobody that survived has ever figured out how to make another, OR how to make black powder weapons? If not Outlaw Josey Whales style revolvers, then what about flintlocks? OH but motor cycles, they can keep producing tires (even if they found unused motor cycle tires, they would've rotted on the shelves) and produce fuel and motor oil for the motor cycles and cars? One clown has a chain saw.....
July 8, 2017
Expected more...But has a few good scenes...
July 7, 2017
Despite its unevenness, this apocalyptic book-to-film adaptation does have some stylish fun and solid performances.
June 10, 2017
Adequate but forgettable.
June 3, 2017
A film built around Denzel. Occasions of above average action and little thrills sprinkled here and there. The overall tone and added humor was enjoyable. The film did lack when it came to execution however. Its poor pacing and a lack of focus were the biggest issues.
May 31, 2017
A grim, post-apocalyptic tale that has more than a few surprises in store, The Book of Eli is passable movie fare.
May 29, 2017
love this film. Aust see if your a Denzal fan.
½ May 25, 2017
The action is great, but there aren't too many scenes of it. The rest just isn't interesting or entertaining, but Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis perform well enough. The color is alright, it's like cool and boring, it's hard to explain. It's like cool looking, but only if used correctly or if the movie is interesting, otherwise it's boring. I feel like most people who like this are either hardcore religious people that don't care about if a movie is actually good (like people that like the God's Not Dead movies) and people who just like the end.
May 18, 2017
Denzel Washington kills it in this post-apocalyptic action thriller, the rest of the cast is also very good and the film is incredibly underrated in terms of cinematography. A very entertaining film that does exactly what you would want a film like this to do
May 13, 2017
Stop hating! Stop hating, in Jesus name! This was an Awesome movie! Great action, excitement, adventure, with an explosive exciting plot! Denzil is superb making his transition into the action genre! A must see for all action enthusiast! Go watch it!
May 10, 2017
The good vs. evil is evident but the production is quite good. The emotive last 30 minutes can reach beyond its cinematic tropes.
May 6, 2017
Heaven is invading Hollywood. People are getting sick of the bleak and craving the light. This is a great movie that shows what happens when someone studies the atheist dictator, Mussolini versus someone that follows Christ. It seems to paint atheism in a bad light which isn't exactly fair but it makes sense because of the post-apocalyptic time it's set in. People get desperate, and when there is no hope there are no rules.
April 17, 2017
A movie where a black guy beats white guys on behalf of God can only please so many
April 13, 2017
What will happen whit humanity without following the Word? We better believe and act accordingly.
½ April 13, 2017
It's a crappy movie that only gets worse with the plot twist.