The Call - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Call Reviews

October 26, 2016
Brad Anderson's "The Call" is a thriller with plenty of great performances on display as well as an astonishing amount of stupidity.
October 7, 2016
This movie is not deserving of the 44% rating it's currently at. The acting is very well done not just by Halle Berry but by the victims, the bad guy, and the woman who plays Halle Berry's supervisor. A suspenseful thriller that's well worth your time and isn't predictable at all.
½ September 29, 2016
An intense, keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat thrill ride of a film! The story, the cinematography & editing were all very well done! Berry, Breslin & Eklund, who played Michael Foster, all did great!
½ August 31, 2016
I cannot believe this movie was so dumb. Sure it has its thrills..but seriously? the best thing about this movie is that the idiocy of the plot and the bad acting end quickly. It isn't very long. that's all.911 operator hears girls getting abducted because of her.. girl dies..similar situation months later..same psycho.. but of course no one else can find him. Its upto her. oh lord. so dumb.
August 29, 2016
Brilliantly made in all departments as if it is really happening with us.
August 25, 2016
so i am not big on movies. ill watch like 6 a year. mostly romance &
thrillers well at the beginning of this month i decided to cancel my
Netflix, but it wouldn't be in effect until the 27th. So tonight, i
felt like watching something, right before the subscription runs out. I
watched "The Call" with Halle Berry. OMG IT IS SO GOOD!!!! its so hard
for me to feel wowed&so excited (instead of terrified) by a thriller
movie that is;this one did that. there is an amazing balance between
suspense, sadness, a dash of happy, and violence without it being
gruesome. loved it.
½ August 15, 2016
The Call turns into crap during it's final act, but the first two thirds of the movie are suspenseful enough to warrant a recommendation.
July 30, 2016
this movie was supsenful and i love how the movie ended
½ July 3, 2016
When all eyes are for the next call, when the lights flash, we don't know who we are going to get. When there are no eyes on you when you already have eyes for someone else. When you eye the monitor, you rely on everything but your eyes. When you can't see, unprepared or focus, mistakes happen and you could forsee the worst in a call. When those in the other end are seeing as witnesses to everything going on, they can only describe what's going on. When those whom are trying to not be seen, and intruders are looking, your mistake was the difference. When all eyes are on you, and you to see if they are juding, all eyes are focused on searching for the victim. When all eyes are glued to the TV for the next update, the worst happens when someone is dead. When some of us liked to be eyed upon, we just have eyes for our besties. When we remind ourselves of the mistake we made, it helps us have that eye everywhere we go. When there is plenty to look out for, when we have procedures to follow for each one.
July 2, 2016
160702: Jordan Turner (Halle Berry) shows a lack of good judgment throughout this film. Her poor judgment is just one annoying feature of this slightly flawed production. Keep your arm out you fool! However, if you just stop judging, sit back and relax, this thriller entertains. For example, you've got to love two women teaming up and applying a boot f**king to a psychopath. And a psychopath he is. Some spooky sets, a vengeful surprise and an ending that allows for a sequel. It was neat to see Soprano Christopher Moltisanti as Alan Denado (Michael Imperioli). Neat but brief. Enjoy.
½ June 3, 2016
I know a lot of people outright hate the ending of this, I didn't. It felt very out of place and was completely unrealistic, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruined the movie for me. That said, the first two acts are far superior to the third, and even those two aren't exactly bringing the house down.

Still, The Call manages to cultivate some pretty vivid tension within the first few minutes, and the drama of the two confined environments that it primarily switches between is executed well enough.
½ May 31, 2016
The movie falls victim to a Hollywood ending, but the rest of the film is gripping and tasteful. Halle Berry is a very good actress in this movie, and Abigail Breslin is believable. It's a fun movie to watch with your friends on Friday night, there is no arguing with that.
½ April 30, 2016
This suspense thriller will keep you on the edge of your seat until the end. I'm sure my blood pressure rose by at least 40% while watching it. Ms. Berry did not disappoint, as well as solid acting from Abigail Breslin. The conclusion could have used some extra attention, but overall good movie. Rating: 7.25 / 10
April 1, 2016
Best movie I have ever seen. Fast heart rate throught all parts of the movie
so much susppence it was very good the plot.
March 28, 2016
great movie! I couldn't do that job at omg, my nerves would be on EDGE lol....
March 2, 2016
Watched this movie when it came to TV. I thought there was a lot of mental action in the movie and overall it was a good movie. Holly Berry played her part very good as did Abigail Breslin.
February 28, 2016
Had me sweating! Edge of my seat! Loved it! A great flick if you're looking for a good time!
February 23, 2016
The Call ? Will you pick it up?
There?s the scary movies with monsters; or unrealistic huge spiders and various strange creatures, where it seems the main goal is to eat their helpless victims. Scary, yes. But something that?s really pragmatic? Eh, not necessarily. What about the movies about abduction, something that happens in real life, a realistic tragedy? These are the real kind of ?scary? movies that either keep you on the edge of your seat or huddled under your blankets to shield your eyes from the horror. A movie that could make both those things occur is the 2013 Sony Pictures film, The Call starring Halle Berry in the main role. Although it?d be hard to say it?s a ?must-see? for everyone, it could definitely be categorized as a solid thriller for a modern time. The story is both gut wrenching and frightening, fairly twisted, but very entertaining.
Berry plays the veteran Los Angeles Police operator Jordan Turner, who deals with harmless calls of a bat getting stuck in a house or someone who doesn?t know how to work an oven; to witnesses of traffic accidents or a conversation with the lonely drunk person who can?t find their way home. However, 911 is still an emergency number- and some are more crucial emergencies than others. Turner receives a call from a girl who is home alone one night and hears a man break into her house. It?s the most terrifying call Turner has ever experienced, but she handles it with great care and works to keep the girl safe. However, Turner falls short and the young girl is abducted by the man and her dead body is found a few days later in a remote location in California. Horrified by this experience and putting the blame on herself, Turner steps back from her position on the front line and trains new operators instead.
About half a year later while on the job, Turner finds herself thrown back in the chair to relive another paralyzing experience with an abductee. Turner develops a strong bond with the girl, Casey Welson; played by young actress Abigail Breslin. This is when audiences will be sure to be tuning in. There is a constant wonder of what deranged act the abductor will commit next. Director Brad Anderson and writer Jon Bokenkamp do a fine job on the sequence of events in the film- with a balance between high action scenes and others filled with low-key suspense. Both these types of scenes give Berry the chance to showcase her talents. There is a progression of her character, as she works through the case over a headset to take a nervous wreck of a woman and turn her into ?an operator gone detective?.
There?s no question that Halle Berry is a certified badass. You can?t help but root for her when you see her on screen, especially in this movie. Berry impressively and realistically portrays Turner; and she shows how powerful a person can be with a good kick of adrenaline in them. Even though she plays a 911 operator, Berry doesn?t over or under-do her attempt of transforming her character into an extremely tough (and especially daring woman in the film?s conclusion); who will do anything in her power to keep Casey alive.
This film is very fast paced with typical ?scary? movie patterns but still carries plenty of surprises. The fact that the crime of the movie is centered on a daunting abduction and possible murder makes this thriller a truly graphic tale. The film does its rightful duty to make viewers jump from all the twists and turns; and for the real, brave movie enthusiasts, it makes one want to hop in beside Turner to get rid of the lunatic criminal once and for all. It?s all up to the viewer though, if they?re in for a crazy ride and want to pick up this call.
January 31, 2016
Pretty good thriller. Though it drags out long at the end, the scenes in the car kept me on the edge of my seat.
January 27, 2016
I loved this movie! It was so good. I really enjoyed the suspense. It was good! I liked the way they kept her in the car and on the phone for such a long time. Wonderful ending! I loved it when Halle and the girl planned the ending. She was smart to try and find the girl and also she was very determined. Love it!!