The Captain (Der Hauptmann) Reviews

• Mar 25, 2019

True story. In the last days of WWII, a 19-year old German deserter dons a high-ranking officer's uniform and passes himself off as an adjutant to Hitler. The power goes to his head. And the killings begin. Much more than a psychological study of how power can corrupt one man, this is also the story of how one man's power and corruption can be used by others to commit their own corrupt acts. In that sense, this movie is a metaphor for how Hitler enabled the barbarity of Germany's worst impulses during WWII. Outstanding performances, great casting, stunning black and white cinematography, and a gripping story that leaves you gasping at its audacity and implications. Not one you'll easily forget. DON'T MISS THE BRILLIANT CLOSING CREDITS! 9/10

• Feb 28, 2019

Movie inspired apparently by real facts which seems like a waste of time in the first dozen minutes but is in fact a grotesque spectacle of human capabilities in what was the so called Great War beyond the flamboyant American propaganda movies. Weird and captivating till the last scene.

• Feb 23, 2019

Brilliant, bold, beautiful, and fresh as all hell. Probably the best Nazi film ever made.

• Jan 27, 2019

Hubacher gives a breathtaking performance and the direction is amazing. This story is cold as is the fight to do anything to survive.

• Jan 24, 2019

Oh captain. Set in the final two weeks of World War II, this is about a Nazi deserter (Max Hubacher). He barely escapes with his own life, but his luck may be about to change. He stumbles upon a captain's uniform, and the clothes fit decently enough. He starts to impersonate an officer, only to find himself starting to become the awfulness that was the reason why he ran away in the first place. Now this was another one of those recommendations that I got from a credible source, and the plot description really grabbed me. Breaking it down to basics, it sounds like something that Tarantino would direct. Even though I am a fan, I'm glad that it is Robert Schwentke in the director's chair, because this is exactly the movie that it is supposed to be. Now this really doesn't waste any time messing around, and it launches you right into it with a foot chase. It keeps that tension high throughout the entire film, and it does a really good job of working different angles to the story. This man has to play the part, and he always takes and extra two seconds sizing someone up. There is always that uncertainty on who has him figured out, as the outfit he is advertising isn't exactly a perfect fit. Then there is the morality behind it all. You have to decide what that tipping point is for you; when does it stop being "doing what it takes to survive" and start to become truly monstrous. Only you can make that call. You will assuredly get there, though, as it does breach a territory of being atrocious; these are war crimes we are talking about, and you will cover your mouth in shock. Like most war movies out there, this is a lot to deal with, so I don't know if I will ever go back and revisit this. I was even more flabbergasted when this was wrapping up, because apparently this was actually a true story that I had no idea existed, which makes it all the more horrifying. I like the craft behind this and the minimalist soundtrack is effective when it is used. It's a really worthwhile movie if you can stomach it. Watch it if you can, but I totally get it if this isn't your thing.

• Jan 17, 2019

A very difficult watch, but compelling as it is an unbelievable story based on facts. Hubacher is one for the future, but I hope he gets some lighter source material for his next project. The whole premise is a decent into hades.

• Jan 02, 2019

It will be heartbreaking movie about war. All war movies we are watching together with my friends every weekend using boxxy software and getting a good vibes.

• Dec 23, 2018

very good humanistic observation, a dark study of characters.

very good humanistic observation, a dark study of characters.

• Dec 21, 2018

Well that was a waste of time.

Well that was a waste of time.

• Dec 11, 2018

I awfully love it! Great craftsmanship.

I awfully love it! Great craftsmanship.